What's new

I Want Gone With the Wind SE! (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Indeed - this one along with The Wild Bunch and The Searchers simply demands a restored special edition re-release.

SteveP

Second Unit
The original CAV Laser Disc of GONE WITH THE WIND included the isolated music and effects track as well as the original 1939 Technicolor teaser trailer, the trailers from the 1961 and 1967 re-releases as well as clips from foreign-language versions, the prologue from the British prints that explained the American Civil War and a small number of clips from THE MAKING OF A LEGEND: GONE WITH THE WIND documentary.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Chad: The laser disc set I'm referring to is called THE MAKING OF A LEGEND: GONE WITH THE WIND, which was a 2-disc set of three (or was it four?) sides. It was a separate release. The idea was that, those who wanted extras could buy a set devoted to just that and those who didn't could stop at the movie. It was an idea who time hadn't come. Had this supplement set been released with any version of the movie, that version would now be worth a fortune on Ebay (my guess). But it wasn't, and it isn't.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Sounds like it'd have to be a 2-disc DVD-18 set if they were to really do the film justice, which of course they undoubtedly should.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
The SE released in France (and then the US?), is probably a DVD-18 for the movie and a DVD-9 (or DVD-10) for the 4+ hours of special features... The 3rd DVD might be in fact a CD (movie soundtrack)

Cheers,

Vincent

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Oh, I have that disc. It was released before the 1998 restoration from which the DVD is derived from. It's an excellent documentary on the making of the movie. It's a 2 disc set on three sides.

There's the afforementioned CAV set with a few extras, but again that was released yeears before the DVD. The LD released in late 98 just had the movie (in its terrible Dolby 5.1) and a theatrical teaser.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Actually, LDI didn't work on Singin' In The Rain. It turns out that it's all Ultra-Resolution!

I just re-watched part of my GWTW DVD...and I forgot how awful it is. The mono soundtrack is also noise reduced to death (which I usually don't find in WB's other mono tracks) while the 5.1 is OK.

The color jumps at every other splice don't help, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks