What's new

I Want Gone With the Wind SE! (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I know none of know for sure when we can expect this, so I'm just going to rant. With the recent news of the Casablanca 2-Disc Special Edition from Warner in August, I am just wondering when we can expect similar treatment for Gone With the Wind, a film that I believe is superior to Casablanca. There are so many features from previous releases which could help to fill up a second disc including The Making of Gone With the Wind (which includes screen tests) and I have also been in contact with a man through e-mail who claims that he has missing scenes/extended scenes from the film and Warner has contacted him about this. I know we have discussed the validity of his claim here on the HTF, but I truly believe he has them. He says he would let them be on a second disc of bonus features, but he does not want them inserted back into the film, which IMO is understandable. So hurry up Warner, and re-release a Special Edition of GWTW, one of my favourite films of all time!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's very likely we'll see an SE in 2004.

LDI said they'd love to re-do their PAL-res refurbishing at 2K resolution for Gone With The Wind (from ultra-resolution mastering, too)

Plus, WB found a lot of long lost trims and outtakes not too long ago. Olivia DeHavilland also recorded a commentary for the film.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
This is one of those films on my "I've been waiting for an eternity" list.

...still waiting.:frowning:

James Reader

Screenwriter
Isn't 2004 the 65th anniversary. Almost certain of a release I would say. (Leaving the 75th anniversary open for the HD-DVD release!)

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
GWTW
Ben Hur
Cool Hand Luke
I would like to see these three get the 2 disc SE treatment next.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I would love to see them use the same technology for cleaning up and re-combining the separation masters that they used on "Singing in the Rain"! Imaging Gone With the WInd looking THAT good... :cool:

-Lyle J.P.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't some of the original negative damaged a while back? I seem to remember reading something like that. Maybe if RAH is reading this, he might enlighten me.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I remember this was one of my first R1 imports because the Dutch artwork really sucked.......

The PAL dvd, which I recently purchased, indeed does look much better. But of course I would upgrade again for a classy (and also restored) R1 2 disc S.E. :D

Personally, I can't wait for a Fearless 2 disc S.E. by Warner, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait forever for that one... :frowning:

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Apparently a 3 DVD SE will be released in France on 9/17/2003:

Extra features:
Making of an epic (124min)
Hommage to Clark Gable (70 mn)
Vivien Leigh : 'Scarlett and beyond' (50 mn)
Trailer
CD with movie soundtrack

Alapage

Cheers,

Vincent

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
anything is better than the current disc. I remember when it first came out it got tons of praise.

Looking at it now on a revealing display, it's riddled with digital nasties like compression artifacting, mosquito-noise and ringing from EE.

SteveP

Second Unit
Wish they could find the shots that were re-framed at 1.85:1 ratio for the 1954 widescreen release and built into the original negative--these shots are zoomed in on all videos--and are quite obvious when the film is theatrically projected at 1.37:1.

If Miss de Havilland has indeed done a commentary, this would be an important historic document that I would love to hear while this wonderful actress is still with us.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see them use the same technology for cleaning up and re-combining the separation masters that they used on "Singing in the Rain"! Imaging Gone With the WInd looking THAT good.
Ummmm. So you want them to dicker with the color and make it more garish and brighter then the original? I don't think so. GWTW should NEVER look like "Singin' In The Rain" IMHO.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I would love to see them use the same technology for cleaning up and re-combining the separation masters that they used on "Singing in the Rain"! Imaging Gone With the WInd looking THAT good.
You mean bearing no resemblance to actual film.

:thumbsdown:

I hope this one gets a decent representation on DVD if they do redo it as an SE. That includes keeping Lowry's paws off it too.

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
I support the above two comments lets keep any work that needs to be done on GWTW in the film realm

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ummmm. So you want them to dicker with the color and make it more garish and brighter then the original? I don't think so. GWTW should NEVER look like "Singin' In The Rain" IMHO.
The problem with the current DVD is that it's a horrid compression job with loads of EE and basically lacks all definition and image detail.

IMO, Singin' in the Rain looks beautful. I think that it looks plenty film-like. I'd rather a GWTW DVD that looks like SITR than one that resembles the digital mess we have on DVD at present.

I do not advocate artifical filtering to remove natural film-artifacts like grain etc.

-dave

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
From what I remember RAH has stated that the original SITR DVD was a closer representation to the original look of the film then the new DVD. I would much rather havea dvd like Cleopatra or Spartacus that has been done free of all this extra resolution stuff then the phoney looking, but pleasing North By Northwest.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
The odd thing is, a lot of extras already existed and had been released on a two disc laser disc set (pretty impressive) when the dvd was produced.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
On a 100" screen, the former SITR DVD looks almost unwatchable. Colors are unsteady (tend to pulse) and registration problems abound giving many objects a green halo.

I was shocked to find this after thinking that the image looked so good on my TV monitor (27" 4x3 image)...but a revealing system showed just how *bad* that DVD really looked. I doubt that the description I gave reflects how the artists intended it to look during it's theatrical exhibition as I don't ever remember seeing a projected technicolor print and thinking "yuck" the way I did when this DVD was blown up.

The new DVD may not be "film like" according to Robert's definition for a variety of reasons worth discussion...but at least it presents a watchable image.

Naturally the goal should be to present a watchable image that also reflects the artist's original intentions.

However, the first SITR DVD does *not* do this.

-dave

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

What extras? The US laser that was released at the time of the DVD had the movie on two discs (it's a four hour movie after all) and nothing else.

The DVD, however really does need to be redone with more room to breathe than was given to it. It's got many noticeable compression artifacts that are evident even on the smallest screens. A proper film restoration would be welcome as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks