What's new

I want a really really strong sub. Sunfire or is SVS the way to go? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I want a really really powerful sub for movies. But I also want it to be very accurate for music. Im thinking a sunfire True Sub Signature. Or should I go with a deftech super cube or maybe an svs?

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
I think SVS will be your best bet. Take a look at HSU as well.

The sunfires offer tremendous bass from a small package, but like many of the cube subs they have an inherent tendancy to distort badly when the going gets tough. IMO, the small cube subs are a compromise for those that have stringent space requirements; or for those that have to deal with the WAF.

If you really need to go with a smaller sub due to space contstraints, then I highly recommend you audition both Martin Logan subwoofers (the Descent & the Depth). I haven't listened to everything, but these were by far the best small subs I have auditioned.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
svs ..give it a try...you will be impressed, and the service/ warranty is the best in the business...list some room stats and we can help ya if you'd like. Also, price range.

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse,

What you should to is log onto:

Audio Envy

Request an audition of the SVS subwoofers. If someone in your area has SVS, you'll be directed to that person(s). You will not be disappointed.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
SVS. The Sunfires don't cheat physics and can have problems with distortion at low freqs and loud volumes. Look around and see if you can find some test results a la Tom Nousaine, D.B. Keele, WSR's special sub issue, etc, and the Audio Critic reviewed a Sunfire a while ago, and they much preferred a Velodyne HGS (low distortion) in comparison.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I'm using a Sunfire MkII and have not had any problems with distortion at what so ever. As with all sub's, location will contribute to how well a sub performs in your room, and of course the acoustic characteristics of your room can make any sub sound terrible. I'm sure you've heard it before, but you really should (if posible) audition the sub's you are considering in your HT.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I say try them both. Whats alittle shipping when your going to have something for a long time that will make you happy. I would hate to make the wrong decision and always wonder. Again I never can figure out why people (not you) complain about return shipping. You get to try it with YOUR system in YOUR house for 30 days. I'd gladly spend a few hundred if necessary checking a few out just to make sure I got what I wanted.

quyen_nguyen

Auditioning
Hi Jesse,
Not too many people familiar with SVS and I known sunfire can make good subwoofers, but if I am going to buy a subwoofer for music plus hometheater then get Velodyne. These people at Velodyne really know how to make subwoofers. If you can afford buy HGS-series or DD-series, and if you don't get SPL or CHT series.

Good luck
Dr.Q

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Not too many people familiar with SVS
:) I see you've been a member since yesterday. I PROMISE you that saying not many people are familiar with them is inaccurate. The sunfire jr (maybe the signature?) was tested by an independent reviewer to have upwards of 40% distortion at the "published" output level. If I really needed a tiny sub then I'd go with Brian @ Rutledge Audio Design or Kyle from Acoustic Visions. They are more custom and can produce very small subs that will outperform the Sunfire offerings. SVS does have some great offerings as well (my gosh, the PB2+!). But I would go one of those three routes before I plunked down more $$ for less results.

- Dan Hine

Eric_Strickl

Stunt Coordinator
I see you've been a member since yesterday. I PROMISE you that saying not many people are familiar with them is inaccurate.
I disagree strongly I don’t know one person that is not apart of this board that owns a svs.

Jesse watch out things are seriously biased around here in regards to svs. I got into a long drawn out discussion about how svs subs destroy the b15 any day of the week. So I ended up searching out a svs owner to hear what it was all about. After about a month (for being so common they sure are hard to find) of looking I found out that one of my buddies had gotten a pb2 and was in love with it. So I went and checked it out...

The revel destroyed it hands down. No one that was in the room thought any different. We all 100% agreed that the b15 made the pb2 look very sad. Did anyone of us honestly think that the svs would be able to hang?? No, not really. The b15 cost about 4 times more and is made by one of the most reputable companies in the Biz. It would be like putting the b15 against a 20,000.00 cost no object sub. Svs owners are like a cult, kinda like diy owners which honestly are also a cult. Once you are in the cult it becomes about defending your decision to join the cult not about the speakers themselves.

My point is not to bash the svs as it honestly for the money was a great sub. My point is that you can’t trust the opinion of most svs owners. They have based buying there sub off of other svs owners words (hence the cult). I used to buy synths based off of the reviews that other users gave. Then one day I realized that every synth got either a 1 or a 5 (9 times out of 10 it was a 5). Hmm could it be because it's new and new is good??? I honestly think so. I bought an rc-200 touch screen remote and thought it was the coolest thing. I told everyone that they had to get one and it was the bomb. 2 weeks later it got returned. It just wasn’t right for me but I couldn’t see it because my lust for new things blinded me. If you were born blind and no one told you that you were blind how would you know you were blind??

Try before you buy!!! My buddie wishes he did.

ChuckRG

Agent
Eric_Strickl

I may have purchased an SVS by what I read but I can say my view and yours differ considerably.

I have since compared it to Velodyne, Revel, Dunlavy, Wilson, and many others, and everyone who heard the comparison thought the SVS (B4) was the FAR superior product. Based upon what I hear (and NOT what I have read) I am purchasing additional subs from SVS.

As an FYI, I am in the audio business and can purchase virtually any sub on the market at industry accommodation pricing which in most cases would be well below the list price I paid for the SVS.

You (and your friends) are certainly entitled to your opinion, but that does not make it the truth (any more than my opinion does).

terence

Supporting Actor
I say try them both, then make your decesion that is what it will come down to. Welcome back Eric_strickl. I see you have not changed, you continue to insult SVS owners and in the same breath say i'm not trying to bash! What you are doing is like punching someone and then say i'm sorry, but don't mean it. I resent that remark about SVS owners are like a cult. Also a lot us have audition a lot of brands before going with SVS. I love how you lump us all in one bunch like you know us all. WOW you most be physic or something, but hey you have your opinon and i have mine.
:D

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Hey Jesse, try the SVS..hell, it cost ya a few bucks shipping...and Eric, if you want to go apples to apples with money on sub(actually mine was less than 4K) then I think the B4+ is more in tune with comparison...bring the revel over...the B4+ is hungry :)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Eric,

Curious, who owns the PB-2+ you auditioned? It would be interesting to hear from him too. Since he is a member of this forum (per your text)...I hope he can post his thoughts soon?

Tom V.
SVS

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
After about a month (for being so common they sure are hard to find) of looking I found out that one of my buddies had gotten a pb2 and was in love with it. So I went and checked it out...
You "found out" a buddy had one after a month of searching, uh huh.;) Do I smell fish? I think you showed your true colors quite well before...sure, your's is good but I paid more, mine's better,it goes to 11, no one can compete with a big company like Revel.

I do agree that not many people know about SVS except for those that participate in any of the forums. I could walk into any local B&M and none of the salespeople would know about them, or at least admit to it. I only know one person who had one before I got mine, thanks for the audition Jeremy.

So Tom, are there any owners up here in AK besides Jeremy and me?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Interesting Thread! CULT??> Possibly, but for good reason. SVS owners opinion cant be trusted? Many of us have ran many different contender subs.> AV, Velo's and so on and they are good to be sure.. Yes I agree you can't rely on a users opinion that has jumped from a WM-40 on up to a SVS (good choice) but this is not the case with most. I think no matter what level a SVS performs some will still be negative imo. SVS performs at a very high level for the $$ and some just don't like this fact. Just read all the professional reviews that SVS did not pay out of their hind end for a favorable outcome.

Jesse I think a SVS sub would serve you very well. If you care to give us your room dimensions and desires we can suggest the proper sub for you. If you do decide to try this rout and are not happy?? I personally will split the cost of shipping back to SVS.

Alex I agree with you. Something definitely smells.:rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks