What's new

I want A FACE IN A CROWD on DVD (1 Viewer)

I love the ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW(the B&W episodes,only)
And I would like to see this movie eventually
released on DVD.Griffith should've won best actor
for his potrayal of a hobo who becomes seduced and
corrupted by the television medium.Seeing pre-Mayberry
Andy in all his homespun viciousness makes for an
interesting night's viewing,especially after THE ANDY
GRIFFITH SHOW.I only saw this flick a few times but I
would definitely pay my 20 bucks to see it digitally
remastered on DVD

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Same here.

Although the title of the film is "A Face In The Crowd" (not "A" Crowd). But why quibble. :)

"Marcia! Marcia....don't leave me!!! Marcia!!!!!!" :)

Lest we forget Andy's fabulous supporting cast in this 1957 flick: The likes of Patricia Neal (as "Marcia!!!!!"), Walter Matthau, and a luscious 21-year-old beauty named Lee Remick. :D

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I've been hoping for a new video release of this movie to do better than the old VHS since the days of having only laserdiscs for better quality. But Warner Bros. never seemed interested in doing another issue of any kind since the 1990 VHS.

One of my favorites (my wife introduced it to me).

I don't know about it's original screen format, but it seems to be an academy film possibly matted for 1.85:1 by '57

Joel

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Man, oh man. I had never seen this movie before and I just caught the last twenty-five minutes on Turner Classic Movies. Now I'm dying to see the rest of it. Imagine my dismay when I discovered it's not out on DVD. What's a guy to do? Do I actually rent a VHS copy (horrors!)?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
wasn't this mentioned in the last chat?
(edit: just looked and didn't see it...funny i was certain i heard this was coming recently)

i didn't remember Remick was in it (i agree, she was a beauty).

great film. i remember seeing it in the early 90's and being thunderstruck how relevant it still was.

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the first hour of it today on TCM but fell asleep (not because it was boring, but because I was exceptionally tired from staying up till 3 last night.) :) None of the local rental stores have it and I really want to see the rest, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for a DVD release. (Along with a DVD release of another of Kazan's great films, East of Eden.)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TCM shows this film often and it's schedule for another showing on June 29th at 2:00 a.m. ET.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I TiVo'd this movie yesterday, and it is a great film. I hope it comes out on DVD soon, but more importantly I hope they do it right. It would be good to have a commentary from Andy Griffith on how he got wrapped up in the character. I have read that he was Lonesome Rhodes on and off the set!

Bring on the DVD!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Andy Griffith is very proud of this film (he's said so on many occasions) and readily sings the praises of Elia Kazan and everyone else involved in the making of this film. I would imagine that he could fill a "making of" documentary with many interesting stories and insights. The last time I saw him on Larry King (sometime near the end of 2003) you could just see his face light up when the topic of this movie came up.

Unforunately, Andy is also now 78 years old. Let's hope that someone gets these interviews recorded before it becomes too late.

Steve

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have this on tape from tcm years ago.
great movie.
dir elia kazan

plus isnt this based very loosely on a real person?
i'm thinking george gobel but not sure.

no it was another guy who showed up on some older b & w game shows.

ok after a long search i found the name.

Arthur Godfrey

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The FACE disc will include a retrospective documentary with interviews with Griffith, Patricia Neal, and Budd Schulberg, says USA Today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks