What's new

I Want a Blu-ray player that decodes TrueHD and DTS Master audio internally. Any sugg (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Ed, oops.. thanks for pointing that out. I thought I was buying this player for just that reason of it being able to decode both of the HD audio formats. So far , since hooking up my new S550, I've been treated to hearing each format. The TrueHD track on "Eagle Eye" and the DTS-HD track on "Space Chimps" . Both were very cool.

I have a bunch of titles on my blockbuster queue headed my way that are definately going to pack a wallop on my audio system. Movies like Wanted, Vantage Point, Body of Lies, & Quantum of Solace. I can't wait !!!

TroyH

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Both? There's actually more than just two. There's "Dolby Digital Plus", "Dolby TrueHD", "dtsHD", and "dtsHD Master Audio". Don't ask me the differences in them, because I don't know. Dolby Digital Plus was on some of the earliest blu ray movies. Look in the owner's manual for the S550, and it should tell you which formats it decodes, and will tell all the HD formats, in case I'm missing any............
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

John Beavers

Second Unit
With all I've read I still can't figure out what my Pioneer 51FD is able to send over the analog outputs to my Elite (non-HDMI) Receiver. If I click on the audio button on the remote, while playing a TrueHD track, it will display TrueHD as the audio track being played. Is it a true TrueHD output I'm hearing or just converted PCM? The manual uses language that leads you to wonder, such as, "The following audio formats are supported" It lists all the new formats. Then there's this winner "Some discs cannot be played, even if one of the above logo marks is displayed" It goes on to say it is recommended to hear all these formats to use a Receiver that is compatible with them. OK, so why did they go to the bother of putting in the analog RCA outs if they weren't serious about onboard decoding? Makes you want to growl ;)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I think they're just covering their butts with that one. I read in a player's manual (forget which one) that's because they keep coming up with new stuff on the discs, and you may experience difficulties until the next firmware update. That may be an ongoing thing, in that case.
Not sure about the PCM conversion. I guess that depends on the player and/or receiver.

John Beavers

Second Unit
Ed,

Got a new BD Disc called Stargaze HD. Display from the player says:

Dolby True HD 8.05 Mbps (varible)/ 30 Mbps

Video =Mpeg4 AVC 7.05 Mbps (varible)/ 40 Mbps

So, my guess is it's playing TrueHD per the software at # Mbps of a possible 30 Mbps....same as with the video. That was helpful in understanding what is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread