What's new

I Truly Don't Care How Many Songs You Have On Your Ipod (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Do they take into account the real size of the Harddrive (18.6) instead of 20 Gb?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Don't have to correct for computer vs telecommunications bitcounts — since the "kbps" figure is in 1000-bits-per-second, not 1024-bits-per-second, units, you can use normal math to see what will go into a hard drive labeled for 160 000 000 000 bits. :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yes. They claimed that the 20gb held 5,000 and the 40gb held 10,000.

From Apple's website: "1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less."

20GB iPod: 19531250 kilobytes

With one four-minute song at 128 kilobits/sec:
- (128000/8)/1024 = 15.625 kilobytes/sec
- 4 min * 60 sec * 15.625kbps = 3750 kilobytes
- 19531250/3750 equals about 5208 songs - factor in space for formatting and possible AAC overhead, and 5,000 isn't a bad claim to make.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
The last MP3 player I listened to(my nephew's) sounded like crap. Hence, I have no desire to own one. That was a couple years ago though. Are they improved? I wouldn't settle for less than CD quality. Should I rethink my stance on the whole iPod thing?

-Dave

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

idunno

I considered getting an MP3 player for my bike to work, because when I mounted a CD player to my rear bike rack, the vibrations was way too much even for the buffer. But I found when I simply put the CD in my rear jersey pocket, it's perfectly fine so I did that, the cheap route. So I still use a CD player when I bike to work, through the woods, never loud enough that I can't hear cars or anything...

Jay

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Just because one MP3 player is bad doesn't mean they're all bad. Are you sure the song(s) you listened to were encoded at a high enough bitrate? 128kbps may sound like gold to one person and like crap to another. I rip at 224kbps, but I'm starting to do Apple Lossless now just to leave no question.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

It may not have been the MP3 player, but the way the music was encoded (as Thomas said). If your nephew downloaded his MP3's from the Internet, chances are pretty good they are poorly-encoded music files. With proper encoding at higher bitrates, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between an MP3 and original CD.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
yeah, it had nothing to do with the ipod, or whatever player it was. the songs were almost certainly low quality, or the player had low quality earphones.

CJ

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
iCommute 4 hours per day on the train. I get on the train, hear the other passengers blathering on about nonsense, put on my iPod, and fall asleep. Best thing ever.

It's a iPod Mini, but the 4G capacity is fine with me. I've got all my favorite albums on there, and a few automatically updating playlists to keep things interesting. They reload, along with my podcasts, whenever I connect my iPod to my Mac.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
iHave an iPod. I don't really know exactly how many songs it has on it though.

In reply to the person who didn't understand the point:

1) As already mentioned, they're useful for working out. They're much smaller than any portable CD player, and you don't need to lug around CDs.

2) You can buy FM transmitters for them and use them in your car to listen to music (again, not having to carry around a pile of CDs)

3) Encode at a high enough bitrate, and you won't be able to tell the difference between that and a CD.

4) You can hook the iPod up to your stereo and listen to music through your regular speakers, or hook it to a mini system at work, freeing you from the need to use the headphones (and from the need to carry around CDs). Though I just have my computer hooked to my stereo with the same collection of music. Also, sometimes I like to listen with my Shure E4G IEM's, just to shut out the outside world. And they sound better than my already decent Polk speakers.

5) You can buy iSocks to put your iPod in. No word yet on when iPanties will be available.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
As a surreal man, I have no need for an iPod. I simply begin singing nasally in Japanese! What better entertainment could I want?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Not going anywhere for awhile?

*Learn Chinese!(or any other foriegn language) Use your MP3 player to load a few 'foriegn language in your car' CDs and spend your time on the train expanding your brain. CD quality not required. Plus you can ignore the whole "continued on disc three" shennanigans.

"Huoche ji dian zhong dao?"

*Podcasts! The bestest thing ever. Got a long car trip? Download the weekly 90 minute radio show about your favorite topic (republicans, lesbians, action films, drugs, computers, cars, photography, ninjas, pirates, motorcycles, UFO abductions, etc etc). You'll never listen to NPR again, you know those sell-outs get paid?!?!

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
It just bothers me that a lot of people use the amount of songs as an indicator of the size of their Ipod (or any other MP3 player).

Just tell them the size of the HD or flash memory.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My iPod has the same songs that my iTunes has and my iTunes is telling me I have 8,954 songs which = 24.4 days of music ;)

And I've never felt the need to defend my iPod. If you don't like them, fine, but don't try to make yourself all high and might because you don't own one. :D

Just remember the thread where I was bragging about the Avirl Lavigne DVD, someone posted a sarcastic remarks like "Oh, THIS is useful!" - - -
I looked at his DVD list and found an embarrasing title - So, I happily let the thread know that the guy who acted all high and mighty (by bashing the Avirl DVD) owned "Glitter"!

:D

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Not drinkin the Ipod Kool-Aid here and no plans to get one...:D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
To my surprise, I enjoy listening to my iPod around the house. It's a great way to catch up on news (via PodCasts) while doing housework or making dinner!

Users who are viewing this thread