What's new

I thought I was doing well... (1 Viewer)

carl_b_byrne

Agent
I just recently purchased a sony 46 inch widescreen (K46R510 or something like that) and have it hooked to a Panasonic RP-56 using component ins. My question is, when I play a dvd, what wide mode do I use? The full screen mode seems best with minimal stretch (other options wide, wide zoom all look crap), but I always assumed the player would take over and fix the size for me. Is there something I have to do to ensure the size is right??? Other wise its a great tv!

Thanks in advance:emoji_thumbsup:

carl_b_byrne

Agent
hmmm..over 20 views and no replies. I guess there is such a thing as a dumb question after all...:frowning: :frowning:

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Someone will chime in and help.........eventually. It's the weekend, and people are gone, or partying! I don't have a WS tv, so I don't know what to tell you. This isn't something I've had to deal with ......... yet. :)

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Use the full mode on your tv. This keeps the dvd the way it was mastered and the way it is supposed to be seen on your tv. Look in the Beginners Primer at the top of the Basics forum to check out why the black bars will not go away on all dvd's. It is under the title of "Welcome, Read this first." This has the link to the primer and has all kinds of usefull information that might answer many of your questions other than this one too. The full mode is what you need to use though to have no stretch on the tv.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello Carl,

Welcome.
People may be wondering how to help you. Not everyone is familiar with that particular TV set.

Is it a 16x9? Or a 4x3?

In the first case, make sure you set your DVD-player to widescreen (or 16:9 or whatever it is called). In the latter, to 4:3.

The TV should be set to "Full" or "Normal", or whatever that name is (no tampering with the image).

In that case, the DVD player will take care of the proper image in most of the cases. Only in a few cases (actually an authoring error on the DVD) will it go wrong after all.

Good luck,

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ben,

DVDs are only coded in either 4x3 or 16x9. If they say it differently in the post you're referring to, AVS is wrong.

In our Primer, there are several good explanations of the DVD format / TV format / film format situation. Try these:

Letterboxes
Will I be rid of black bars?
No letterboxes
Common film ratios

... and many more if you take a look here (or do a search) in the primer.

Good luck,

Cees

SethH

Senior HTF Member

This isn't exactly true. The link mentioned above states almost exactly what is stated in the primer and that is that DVD's can be in a 1.85:1 format (close to 16x9) or a 2.35:1 format. These are both widescreen formats 1.85:1 almost fits a widescreen TV and fills up the screen. 2.35:1 leaves black bars even on a widescreen tv.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Seth,

Yes it is true. The DVD can only be coded as 4x3 or 16x9. And it can be 'enhanced' or not. 'Coded' and 'DVD' are the key words here.
The film on the DVD can be several different formats. The image on the DVD will have to add black space for any format that differs from the two supported ones. Because of the compression algorithm this can be done very (space-) effectively, BTW.

Cees

SethH

Senior HTF Member
OK, I stand corrected on a technicality, but the point remains that a "widescreen" dvd does not fill up the entire screen on a "widescreen" tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks