What's new

I thought I could fix my Paradigm PDR-10's rumble (1 Viewer)

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Been getting an increasing rumbling sound from my 10 year old sub as its level turned up (not even a third of the way). Came across a 2010forum post of mine in which I had a noise problem with this sub. Opened the back and found some wires dangling. Taped them up and the noise was gone. Figured that I was having the same problem now. Opened the sub and found the tape was unwound and lying on top of the speaker. Retaped the wires, but now still getting the rumbling sound. Is this repairable? And if it is (I naively suspect that the problem is with the speaker cone?), how do I get to work on the speaker as I can't figure how to get to it. Specifically, the grill screen doesn't come off and opening in the back is rather smallish.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
I don't know about that. I remember reading that the grill doesn't come off. Also, I did try hard to get it off, but it won't budge. In fact, I did slightly mark the cabinet by trying to pry to grill off???

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Can you post a pic? I don't remember what a 10yo PDR10 looks like, but Paradigm shows all the way back to 8 years...it comes off.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
The presently broken PDR-10 measures ~14H X 13.5W X 17D. Here are two pics (the flash made the black look grayish):
0be1ffc2_IMG_4920.jpeg
89ac5f2f_IMG_4926.jpeg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The grill is different now. The Paradigm logo is part of the cabinet, with the grill going around it. With the amp that big, maybe you do remove the amp, gut it and then remove the driver. Sell it as dead. Somebody around you would probably love a DIY box to build a passive with.

Jeffrey Severance

Auditioning
Real Name
jeffrey
I have a Paradigm PDR-10 also and I to get that popping rumble even at low volume. To take it apart you have to remove the amp for the back of the box there are like 10 screws that hold it in place. Then remove the 8 screws that hold the subwoofer in and pull it through the hole where the amp mounts. You cannot remove the grill without breaking it and even if you get the grill off the screw are in the inside. Mine had nothing wrong with the woofer no sorround rot or anything. And playing music I usually never hear it. I lowered the Crossover frequency to around 80 hertz and have the gain volume at about 60-65% and the rumble is gone. While i was in there I also tape wires together and to the box just in case they were the rattling sound. i hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks