What's new

I though Mummy Returns was better then The Mummy? (1 Viewer)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
What was up with Crouching Tiger Evie? Where is the charming, delightful, dizzy, gutsy, Evie I know and love?? Are we to believe that THIS Evie is the same one who knocked down the bookshelves in Mummy 1? Where is the goofy Brendan Fraser playing George of the Jungle in the Sand? Where is the nobility in the characters? Their sense of awe and wonder exploring the unknown? Where was the feeling of forboding whenever Imhotep wasn't around?
Why did the Magi bother?
Nothing of Mummy1 that had that old-time horror movie feeling about it survived MR. Not even something along the lines of that sweet scene in Mummy1 when Dr. Bombay upholds his end of the Empire. The soul went out of MR. At no time did I feel I was doing anything other than watching a movie with dreadful special effects and a plot that couldn't begin to make me suspend disbelief.
MR is all movie and no mummy.
At the same time I bought MR though I grabbed the original Universal "The Mummy". WOW! Karl Freund's cinematography is astounding and Karloff IS Imhotep.
Thanks,
Jason
[Edited last by Jason_Els on October 10, 2001 at 08:00 PM]

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
Memories from Mummy:
BF screaming at mummy, mummy screaming back.
BF: "Well, look who's on the wrong side of the RIVVERRRR!"
BF: Reloading guns while bullet holes marching towards him, RW pulls him away just as the last hole appears where his head was.
RW: in a night gown, woohoo!
Memories from Mummy2:
Annoying kid.
RW dies but no one cares because everybody and their blind brother knows she'll be resurrected at the end.
Um...What was the rest of the movie about?
------------------
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.
[Edited last by Craig Chatterton on October 11, 2001 at 11:06 AM]

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I enjoyed The Mummy; I also liked MR, but think that the first was the better.
My biggest complaint, really, was with the horrendous CG Scorpion King at the end. That was just bad. I was actually expecting / hoping that The Rock would be coming back for a little BR v. TR action :)

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
I wholeheartedly disagree. The first one was a suspenseful film with funny dialog, good action, and characters that I liked or liked to dislike. The second one was a special effects extravaganza. I mean that in the worst possible way in that the film makers decided that special effects would be used instead of story and dialogue.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
The Mummy is a lot of fun and I find myself returning to it whenever I'm in the mood . The Mummy Returns is terrible. The entire production seemed rushed. I couldn't wait to leave the theater.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

ace peterson

Second Unit
I thought 'The Mummy Returns' just plain sucked. I finally saw it last night and was pretty psyched to watch it. From all the hype it got & the box office totals, I thought it would be much much better than what it turned out to be. I found it confusing in many parts and thought the plot just jumped all over the place. (If you wanna call it a plot).
Waaaayy too many CGI's even for my tastes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I finally watched 'MR' tonght, and thought that it rocked, LITERALLY! Can anyone say, reference 5.1, WOW! I love the original, but I really thought the second one really topped it, just a good ol time!
I take issue with one member that had a problem with the "annoying kid", this kid was nowhere near as bad as the kid who played in say, 'EP1'. I liked this kid, he was crafty, witty, and fun to watch. I especially loved the scene where he kept asking "Are we their yet?", over and over again
laugh.gif
!
And what can you say about the 'Pigmie's crossing the log bridge with the dynamite scene!?'
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And as for Rachel Weisz, how the hell did she get so damn hot!
yum.gif
I mean I thought she was gorgeous in the first film, but when I laid eye's on her in this film, MY GOD BABY!
yum.gif
yum.gif

Someone mentioned that they wanted the Evie from the first film, well in this film 9 years have passed and she probably spent that whole time criss crossing the globe with Rick, getting into all sorts of different adventures, of course she's going to toughen up, especially with a husband like Rick! It seemed very natural to me. I think I would have been disappointed if she were the same as before, people grow, people change.
Great series of films so far, but I too am very skeptical of The Scorpion King, I just don't think his charactor was important enough to warrent his own film.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!
[Edited last by John Williamson on October 14, 2001 at 06:15 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks