1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

I think I have bought my last "Box Set"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Julian Reville, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Well-Known Member

This is getting old fast:
    First my disc 3 of From the Earth to the Moon goes bad (total pixilation and lockup) at the 1st chapter, now the Fantasia 2000disc of the Fantasia Anthology has decided to lock up totally at Chapter 9.
    I tested the discs on 4 different players and NONE of them will play them. I am the only one who handles these discs, and they don't have a scratch on them, and they are only about a year old.
    So much for DVD being a medium that will last a lifetime. I might buy a single disc, but from now on I will not spend big bucks on box sets that crap out after a year or two.
    Anybody got a number for Disney customer service? I've already got the one for Warner Bros, not that they were any big help.

2. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Well-Known Member

Nathan
    Funny, all my discs play flawlessly.

3. Corey * C

Corey * C Member

My Fantasia discs work fine, too.

The only discs I've had problems with were in the Akira Tin...they were damaged inside the box.

So you're serious about this boycott of box sets? You're not even gonna get the Reservoir Dogs 8 disc-er??? And you call yourself a DVD collector!:wink:

4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Well-Known Member

Julian, did they work the first time you watched them or did you just now get around to watching them? It's strange that they would all of a sudden go bad.

5. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Well-Known Member

sounds like dvd-rot.
    yeah, it's more than aggrevating, isn't it.
    lucky for you, these are still in print.
    i would just take them back to a store (try any store that carries these titles) and say "i bought these 3 weeks ago, and i can't find/threw away the reciept, and the disc is defective. in most cases, they should just swap you a new one, if they are cool. your not trying to return an opened one for money or credit, you just want a proper working copy so they should understand this.

and yes, regardless of what people say in threads about D-vhs vs. DVD, these things are NOT forever.
    i've got my fingers crossed i'll get enough play out of them before the Hd-dvd library of titles avail is at an equivilent number as dvd today.
    i'm hopin 10 years, but i'm sure a lot won't make it.
    i've had several deteriorate on me to the point of being unloadable.
    in fact i just watched a copy of Norma Rae, purchased a couple months ago. this is the first time i've played it and in the middle of the movie, the picture broke up, pixilated, and froze. it recovered, but this is clearly an indication that this disc will be totally unplayable soon.

i always had the feeling the studios loved the idea of divx, and built in deterioration may just be their sneaky way of pay per play.

i'm only half jesting.

6. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Well-Known Member

Thanks, Nathan

I'll definitely try the exchange on Fantasia 2000. Unfortunately both of these sets were Christmas gifts so no receipts.

Both had been played once before, with no problems. I'm starting to be a believer in DVD rot as well.

I've got about 200 Laser Discs; at least when they rot (2 of them) they still will play. Out of about 50 DVDs, these 2 have "rotted" (that I know of) and they lock up the machine requiring: push OFF, wait, then ON, wait, wait, wait, then OPEN. Finally get the *$#( thing out, off to try it in another player in another room, and go through the whole thing again.

Paul, I just don't think I have the nerve to try a return without a receipt. :b

7. Bingo

Bingo Well-Known Member

Well, I've been collecting since 1997 and all my discs still play just as fine as the day they were purchased.

That's not to say I've never had a defective disc. But in the two cases where it happened, I could see pretty large scratches on the discs themselves (they had come out of the cases during shipping)

So, count me as someone who's expecting his collection to last a LOOOOONG time.