What's new

I think I have a problem.. Yamaha rx-v567 (1 Viewer)

noob5684

Agent
Real Name
Colin B.
So I was listening to music yesterday at the -25 volume setting. I never went past this volume and the receiver shut off, it was hot so I was thinking that it was overheating.. I had my cable box on top of it, So I did some rearranging and moved everything off and away from the receiver.. Didn't play it at all after that.. Wake up today and I have to listen to my favorite song 'Bob Dylan- Maggie's Farm' when I awake so I cranked it up to my usual volume which is -25 when listening to music. and it shuts off again and tried again with same result. So I'm thinking the cat could have pulled a speaker wire out and was causing a short. Then I pull out the dykes and redid all the speaker connections on the receiver and speakers. Everything is tight and neat ran the Ypao no errors came up. Didn't shut off on a specific speaker or anything. Now I'm thinking its clear. Now I still want to listen to my song and I try again.. and it shuts off

Am I doing something wrong? The receiver is only 3 months old, Speakers are only 3 months old as well. I used to be able to play it that loud for hrs until yesterday. Please help

-Colin-

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
These type of situations are very hard to diagnose over the internet. These are some of the things that are recommended.

Try removing one speaker connection at a time to see if you can narrow it down to a certain channel.

Also, did YAPO set the speaker size and crossover correctly? Raising the crossover might take a little more strain off the receivers amplifiers.

Maybe try un-plugging the receiver over-night.

If all else fails try and do a factory reset. If it's possible the procedure will be somewhere in the manual.You'll lose all the settings but it's worth a last ditch effort.

conuronton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
you can also check the speaker impedance to make sure they are reading 8ohms or so. From a repair standpoint, the output IC's might need replaced in the receiver ($80-$120est)

Hicks

Agent
Real Name
Jason
If you aren't using the 6 ohm setting already you might try that, it could be that the speakers are drawing more power than the receiver can dish out and it is going into protection mode to avoid overheating.

Setting it to 6 ohms will limit the power to the speakers and could take care of it.

noob5684

Agent
Real Name
Colin B.
Frustrated.. I walked away for a weekend and some days. I am going to do what everyone said to do tomorrow.. I changed the ohms to 6 for now but not listening to as loud. I still don't understand why tho? Why I would have too when the speakers are rated 8ohm. I'm learning thank you everyone for your concerns. First real setup I built that wasn't out of a box. SMH.

Do you think I need better speakers? I screwed up buying the Polk R300's as front with the cs10 center.. learned about timbre match. but maybe just getting rid of all the Polk's and going something else? or just switching the front r300's to surround and the t15's to back surround and buy the tsi500's.. I'm lost now

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Throwing more money at a problem usually solve it. Those three Polk speakers in the front should be close enough that timbre matching shouldn't be a problem.

A speakers ohm rating is really just an average. The impendance can very greatly. An 8 ohm speaker can dip below 3 ohms on occasion.

The entry and mid-level Yamaha receivers aren't known for their power output but they should be able to power those Polks well enough. There must be something wrong somewhere. I don't think new speakers will solve the problem. Then again, who knows...

Good luck and keep us posted.

noob5684

Agent
Real Name
Colin B.
So I did what Gene and Hicks said to do today.. I set the receiver to 6ohm and I came to find out to find I have alot of crackling coming from the front left tweeter on my Polk R300.. I was gone for a couple of business days before the shutoff started happening. Remembering I told my dad how to use my system for internet use only. So I asked him today if he did anything else and he stated that "you damn kids love that bass, so I turned the treble up" with that being said. Do you think a blown tweeter would cause a shutoff? I've been listening to my music and now watching Tron the legacy at -17 with no problems. other then the little crackle from the tweeter?

conuronton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Maybe possibly a blown tweeter would cause the shutoff! Disconnect that cabinet and crank it up, to see if you can isolate the good cabinet.

A bad speaker could possibly short out and carry on to the reciever, causing it to go into protect.

Replace the bad tweet and hope it fixes it!

Borrowing a friends amp is not a bad troubleshooting technique either, just make sure they know you might fry it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks