What's new

I, Robot: Fox Keeps Screwing Fans of Extras (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
That would rank among the most frivolous lawsuits I've ever heard of. I don't have the "special ultra whatever" edition of I, Robot (just a single disc issue), so if I picked up the Blu-ray disc and saw the extras, I would never know they were not complete (nor would anyone else who A) hasn't got/seen them before or B) hangs around in places like this. That would be enough to have the whole thing dismissed. I'm not saying people should be happy or not care, but c'mon==a lawsuit over extras on a movie disc? :rolleyes

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Fair enough; we'll table the righteous-anger-run-amok "class action lawsuit" idea, but I'd love to hear any other thoughts from frustrated and insulted consumers who are tired and disgusted by marketing tactics of this nature, in the hopes that people who need to know at Fox might be reading...

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The solution is simple, dont buy FOX product. If they dont make any sales, but they see the other studios are selling product at a nice pace...then they would rethink the way they do things. But i guess someone buys their overpriced, limp extra, Blu-ray releases.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Bu all means, boycott them if they bother you (I boycott several establishments for various reasons) and express your anger and frustration (I do that about those establishments as well). I'm just wary of bogging down the legal system with frivolity (there is more than enough of that going around). Besides, a class action suit would only benefit the lawyers. Boycotts hurt the company more, in the long run (if co-ordinated by people with persuasive arguments).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
FOX keeps screwing their customers by putting out stuff like I, Robot on BD to begin with. Asimov must have been spinning after what was done to his classic story. In fact, it is proof that ghosts don't exist, because the director and screenwriter of I, Robot would have been haunted for eternity by Asimov's ghost.

Still, I agree that FOX has to be the worst BD supporting studio of them all. Overpriced catalog titles and titles that have been stripped of or have reduced extra content + being overpriced. Good job FOX.

Dan M

Second Unit
I only buy new FOX titles if they are on sale.

Or I buy it used.

No way am I spending what they are asking for at regular price. I don't usually watch extras except for movies that really interest me. However I think there's no excuse not to include them when there is so much room for them on a BRD.

I don't think I've ever spent more than $15 on any HD title

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

thats just not relavent to the discussion.

obviously enough people dont think they are being screwed or this wouldnt continue
to get new releases.

I Look forward to the br of this i like the movie.

i'll probsbly just rent it tho' price is too much.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Now you know why I said there "may" be a lawsuit, because their also may not be. I disagree that pissing off consumers is a frivolous thing.

I own two Fox Blu-Ray discs out of about 30 I own. This will only change if this BS with the extras changes. I'm still worried about upcoming releases that interest me, not to mention what the future holds.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fox has several BR titles coming out in the next three months or so that I'm interested in and though I can afford to buy them, I won't just for the principle of it. The only exception might be "Patton" all the others I can wait on until they're on sale. I do feel that BR consumers need to send a message to Fox by not purchasing their product, but continue to buy other studio releases so that hopefully, Fox finally does the right thing and get in line with the other studios software pricing-wise.

Crawdaddy

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Agreed; I'm compelled to buy the ones they've already done right (e.g. 28 DAYS & WEEKS LATER, THE FLY), but future releases are no go for me until I know, absolutely and definitively, they've done them right.

Phil Menard

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with you on not purchasing Fox titles - but what message does it really send to Fox? Unless they peruse these forums and actually read why we're not happy with the titles, what might they assume? Perhaps that nobody wants Fox titles on Blu-Ray? Not exactly the message I wish to send.

I've reached the same conclusion as the rest of you; this is the process by which Fox can justify a double dip.

I'm not only going to hope that Fox changes their ways, I'm going to write and tell them what I expect as a customer. I expect the Fox Blu-Ray releases to be of the highest quality possible with the most extras available. And I also expect access to all versions of a given title on the disk. Am I really going to have to purchase the extended version of Independance Day from Japan?

At the end of the day it comes down to this; I'm going to have to be a lot more careful with my alleged "disposable" income. Ice Age, I Robot, Independance Day.... all would have been instant purchases for me a year ago. Not now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the other studios are selling their catalog releases and Fox isn't then it wouldn't take long for Fox's marketing data to point out that perhaps their product is priced too high. Frankly, it's the only way consumers can relay this message to Fox.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

didnt fox do the same thing when sd dvd first came out.
they are just following the same strategy again.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I agree. But isn't Patton a full featured version with all the extras of the SD release included? My understanding is that it was and in that case I will probably buy it.

Doug

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So far it's looking like that which is one of the reasons why I might buy it besides it being one of my favorite all-time films.

Crawdaddy

troy evans

Screenwriter
Guys, I agree with you all. However, it's not just Fox doing this shit. I have a couple of bare-bones Spider-man BDs in my collection. After Fox took what seemed like an eternity to get off thier asses and release films on Blu, I'm not willing to boycott them for the fear that I may be waiting a long damn time for them again. To each his/her own. Extras are neat, but, not a deal breaker. Prices do need to come down for Fox BDs. I've said this before, I've been special featured to death. If the special features mean that much to me, I'll keep my sd dvds to have them. Those people who don't own the sd dvd special edition version and buy the BD version won't care about those edited/missing features anyway. They either don't know about them or don't care about them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
However, by purchasing their product, you're in a sense encouraging them to keep their high prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks