What's new

I really don't care about football... (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
....or baseball or basketball, golf, soccer...
Never got the desire to play or watch these things.

The other day I was getting an oil change at my Toyota dealer's shop and went into the waiting area. They have a really great waiting area, nice big widescreen HDTV and there's the remote...and nobody in there. :)
The football game (UT was beating Iowa I've since heard) was on, until I clicked in 2-5-6 and started watching The Big Country.
I was so happy; Chuck Heston, Burl Ives, Greg Peck.
Then it started.
Salesmen from the adjoining new car showroom had been following the game by drifting in periodically to catch the score.
Well, now they were coming in, staring wistfully at the screen, and leaving.
It happened again and again.
I felt a little bad, but I was the customer and the goodies were there for me, not the staff.
Finally a young couple came in and sat down to wait for their car. They ate their takeout and visited quietly.
The husband left and this is when I really wanted to ask the wife if she was a football fan.
I did NOT ask her, didn't even speak.
She might have been a fan, lots of women are, and anyway, I was just looking for validation of my non-jock view of the world.
Eventually their vehicle was ready and they headed for the door.
That's when the magic happened!
After her husband got through the door she turned to me and with a big smile said, "Do you know the name of that movie?"

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I know how you feel. I am sometimes considered a disgrace to the male gender. I don’t enjoy any sports, I don’t hunt or fish, and I don’t like golf or NASCAR.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
This sort of reminds me of the thread where I asked if anyone else wasn't going to watch the Oscars and you proceeded to thread crap all over it about "why do people feel the need to start threads like this...?"

:P

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

No, that would involve being with groups of people and I don't like that much either. ;)

There are sports that hold some interest for me, they just don't usually involve a ball.

Track & Field...and the records set in that arena, interest and impress me.
Likewise gymnastics.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I'm sort of the same way, although I am a huge hockey fan. I'm not worried about running into another one though, we are scarce.

It's tough in the Boston area. I'm the only straight guy I know who has never watched more than 5 minutes of a football game on tv, so when the Patriots started having success, I was isolated. And try escaping Red Sox Nation...it's not easy.

CJ

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I keep up with sports only to the extent that doing so allows me to hang out with the sales people without getting a wedgie.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I always used to enjoy watching Carl Lewis back in the 80's.

Really, the NFL is about the only sport I care to watch on TV. Basketball is OK. Baseball bores me to death on TV. And golf just bores me to death, period. Most sports are much more interesting to go see in person. Although I haven't been to a NASCAR event this year because I'm not up on my shots. :crazy:

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Hmmm. I don't recall the 'singing'. I'm guessing that's a good thing.

Now, I'm off to watch Monday Night Football. :D

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Christopher,
A little fast and loose with the quotation marks.
What I typed was:

"I won't be watching the next big Nascar race or championship foot-ball game, but I promise not to start a thread detailing my apathy."

But, I think your point is uncomfortably valid and I'll order crow the next time I go out for food. :)

Jimi C

Screenwriter
"I'm sort of the same way, although I am a huge hockey fan. I'm not worried about running into another one though, we are scarce."

Not in Buffalo, we are all huge hockey fans.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Not a fan either, but I give over the home theater to my wife whenever Dallas or the Gators are playing. And ever since we got HD, she's watched a lot more golf, too.

I just go upstairs and watch a movie on my 22 inch WS monitor in my office.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I never got into team sports. I'll watch track and field or boxing if it;s on, but I don;t follow it at all.

I like it when my friends who watch Nascar come over and bitch about a movie being too long at 2 and a half hours cause it allows me to say "it could be worse, they could be driving around in circles for 4." :P

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Nothing is more annoying to me than a man who does not like mainstream sports. I used to work in an office of mostly women. It was hell.

Finally, we hired more men until we were a 7 person staff, with only one woman. I thought this would have been a perfect environment for sports talk...but none of these "men" watched any football or basketball. That was so annoying. Ironically, the woman was a huge football fan, so she and I would Monday morning quarterback.

In my opinion (and this is my opinion so back off), men who do not like sports are not real men.

I just started a new job, and (thank God) the men here all follow sports, know what team is ranked where, what the big matchups are, etc. It is so nice to see men behaving like men.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
And your questioning our manliness? :rolleyes:
Reminds me of when I was back in high school. For gym class we got to choose between football and dance class. I took dance. While the "real men" were freezing outside in the wind, snow and rain, I had my arms around some of the most beautiful girls in the school. ;) About the middle of January they were wondering if football was the right choice.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I can't say I'm that into football or so but I still somewhat follow it, same with baseball, but I'll know when there are big games and where the Mets/Yankees are in relationship to others just so I can rub it in when say the Mets fail to make the playoffs when they're like 7 games up....

I'm the type of fan who would rather play baseball or football, cause that is fun, I could never get into watching baseball, I find it boring.

Jay

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

I totally agree with you on this one...if you truly mean slow drivers, instead of law-abiding drivers (who are going the maximum speed limit), for whom the left lane is intended.

Drivers who speed do not belong in the left lane...they belong on a race track.

Sorry, didn't mean to thread-steal. Let's get back on topic:

Real men love FOOTBALL!!! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks