What's new

I pulled the trigger on the Infocus X1 (2 Viewers)

R

RossTerry

All of the Best Buys in my area have said they dont carry the X1, they can only order one for me and ship it to the store...

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Same here, I checked although I don't intend to get it now :b

I have actually rearranged my living room in anticipation. I can't get complete darkness, but what I can get should be enough. Even if I might have to limit my screnning to the evening (or rainy days ;) ). I am no videophile, so size is really the only thing that matters, as long as it looks decent I am fine.

FPs are going to become the norm in HT very soon, $999 is just too unbelievable a price. Doesn't one need to spend at least $1500 for a decent RPTV? Once J6P hear that he can have a PJ in his home for a grand, it's gonna be a free fall on prices! These are good times to be alive :)

--
Holadem

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm doing the same thing, trying to rearrange everything in the living room, in complete antisipation.

I'm also measuring the two patio windows, that shine sun into the living room, so I can cut huge pieces of cardboard to cover up the windows.

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
I can't imagine spending more money and getting an rptv...maybe if I had terrible ambient light, but Rptv's dont look that great in ambient light either.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hey guys,

If you didn't see in another thread, I bought an X1 last Friday. Only a day after reading about the price drop. This forum is going to be the end of me!!:D

It took me all night to move everything around in my living room and right now I just have a bed sheet as my screen, but I am very pleased with the result. I was nervous about what picture quality I would be getting for the low price, but I took a chance and couldn't be happier. My purpose of buying this is to hold me over until I can upgrade my sound portion of my system and then I will buy a more expensive, higher resolution device. Since I only watch DVDs and won't get into HDTV for another couple of years, this projector is a really nice fit for my needs and budget. I cannot wait until I either buy or make a screen. I also have to make a mount so I can stop resting it on the box my SVS 20-39 PC+ came in!

Parker, thanks for starting this thread so I could find out about the price. My 31" tv can now go to my bedroom or something.

I will be able to control the light pretty well and the projector will be about 12' away from the screen, can anyone recommend a screen that is a perfect fit for this particular projector? I am also going to check out the DIY sections.

If anyone here is in the Cleveland area, I bought mine at Best Buy and they had plenty of them in stock. They just started to carry them last week so maybe everyone else here will be able to buy one at their local Best Buy soon.

Good luck in whatever you purchase.
George

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
George:

No problem. Glad I could be of some help.

I have been without FP for about 3 years now and I have been waiting for someone to get a FP down in the $1,000 range. I plan on using this projector as a interm projector until they give the DLP chipsets and faster color wheels down to this price rance. Then I will upgrade again. By that time I will have my room the way that I want, the screen that I want and all I will have to do is swap projectors out. Also, we have oLED and newer technologies just around the corner.

I keep telling people that once they get into front projection they will never look back. This is the way that movies are made to be seen in the home.

Parker

Adrian_S

Second Unit
You guys are killing me.. I want one sooooo bad, and the price is right, I'm on the fence right now. I sold enough stuff on ebay to cover the cost, but I'm in a apartment and it would be going in the living room.

I got a distance of 12 feet from couch to entertainment center where the 36' inch toshiba sits now. I would be using a ceiling mounted screen, but what size what I get? And what size picture would I get... sorry for all the newbie questions, but it's either th FP and a screen, or saving enough for the 50' Samung DLP tv? Dilema, Dilema...

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Adrian,

If the distance is 12 feet, then you should be able to get a picture somewhere in the range of 75-84"

My distance is just about yours.

I bought a Da-lite Cinema Contour High Contrast Screen(84")($719)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Adrian,

If I were you, I wouldn't bother w/ a 50" Sammy DLP RPTV. They are soooo expensive. Unless you expect to get into HD content big time, I'd at least give that Infocus X1 a 30-day trial. At $900, how can you go wrong vs a $4000 RPTV??? In a year or two, those DLP RPTVs will probably drop by the $900 that the X1 will cost you now. And in the meantime, you could even upgrade the rest of your HT for a better overall experience.

Heck, the deal is so good that I've been trying to convince friends and relatives to buy the X1 just so I don't feel "obligated" to take the plunge myself. LOL. :D

_Man_

Adrian_S

Second Unit
Ok, I had to buy a used car for my daughter today.... so I have some $$$ constraints right now, but that's the reason the Credit Card was invented... let me look at this:

X1 :$999.00
X1 Ceiling Mount :$???
35" Video Cables? :$??? (Does the X1 do component?)
Ceiling Mount Screen :$??? (4:3 or 16:9 pull down)

Can you guys help fill in the gaps? Is this all I need? The Ceiling mount screen is a must since I need to mount it right in front of the entertainment center.

So the DLP is not that good huh?

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Parker how does the Wife like all this HT stuff? Be sure to take some picture to share with us upon receiving the new PJ and setting it up with some screen shots! I love screen shots!!!!
I just installed a new (used) CRT in my theater and know how cool it is to have a new bigger better picture. Have fun!

Wes

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Wes:

My wife likes it really. She never has seen a FP set up though so she is in for a big surprise.

I will get some shots up and running on the forum once I get my setup all done. I have to set up the wall that it is going to be on and get a screen and..........

First I have to get the projector. It should be here today or tomorrow.

Parker

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Adrian,
If you go and take a look at this thread at AVS you will find a very nice X1 Ceiling Mount.
Yes the X1 can do component.
480i into the special s-video input with the supplied S-video breakout cable.
480p- ^ via the VGA input,
-Jerry

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
Jerry,

Do you have a VGA breakout cable?? One that turns component into the VGA necessary to get HDTV/480p? I'm trying to find one, but no one seems to have it locally and I didn't see it on http://www.partsexpress.com
which is my normal go-to source for cables. Any ideas??

Thanks!!

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Tim,
Any VGA breakout cable will work fine.
Even if it has five leads at the end,
Just don't use the H & V.
These are a standard cable.
I think best buy has them also.
You can use a cable like
this Catalog #: 950-0238
And you will need three of these Catalog #: 278-301
The cable can be found for much less if you search around.
Just purchase the length you need.
-Jerry

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
Ahhh...I was not making the connection with the adapters needed to convert the cable. NOW I know what I am actually looking for.

Thanks for your help!

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
You can also purchase that
Gold-Plated BNC Female to Phono Plug in the opposite gender.
I think now that I read your post again, it would be better,
This all depends on the source hardware that you plan to use and it's output connection type.
-Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks