What's new

I pulled the trigger on the Infocus X1 (1 Viewer)

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just took the plunge on this projector too. Incredible deal, and with a return policy like the one they have, you just can't go wrong!

Now I have to get me some long cables, anyone know a good cost effective place to find component and s-video cable that are about 30' to 35' in length? Also, on cables that long, will quality degrade?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Maybe it's time to build your own cables given such lengths.

Anyway, so it sounds like I can't get much bigger than my 53" RPTV w/ the Infocus X1 given my small livingroom size. Oh well, at least now I don't have to fight the temptation so much. :D

_Man_

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just ordered one as well.

But now I need to figure out my screen problem.

how can I get a decent 16x9 screen with the capabilities of masking for different aspect ratios??

Make my own? or buy one like this?(at the botom of the page)
http://www.projectorsavings.com/cata...lite_wall.php?

also, thanks John Rheaume for the advice.
The calculator worked great.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
$799 + 6.5% tax when all said and done at .
BB
I will spend some time this weekend to audition it,
Well maybe even before this, (It's in my home as I type :D ) This will be my our second dpl as we have the Yamaha DPX also. If we decide to pass on this one & return it, anyone that may want it just PM me. We hope to put it in our living room for more of an everyday type of pj.
The dpx is in the HT.
I will also say that the good people a Infocus are fantastic to work with, I placed an order with them yesterday (Amy & Barbe) Not but two hours later Best Buy corporate offices called me back about their price adjustment response to the events.
So needless to say I had to call Infocus back to cancel the shipment, they understood 100%.
I could have it now and with an extra -10%.
I shall report back with my findings in the next few days.
-Jerry

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Question regarding the X1:

I've been drooling over a true 16x9 display whether it be a RP or FP, thinking that the increased resolution with anamorphic dvds will look terrific.

Is this a big issue with the X1. The price is so dang good I shouldn't even bother with worrying, but just trying to sqeeze all the resolution I can.

I suppose screen size plays a part in this too.

Thanks for any thoughts on this. :)

ChadLB

Screenwriter
If one gets a projector like this...how much does a screen cost? A decent one that gets the job done. Can you spend $2,000 on projector/screen or is that impossible?

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Tim,
You could always try a Panamorph or other lens.
The P752 can be found for under $500 new and many used available for even less.
Just an idea.
-Jerry

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Chad:

You may want to look into the Parkland DIY screens. For less than $35.00 you can create one. There are a lot a people who have gone that route with much satsfaction. I made a 72" one but I than decided to use a 100" wide wall instead. I have some info on the parkland screen on my web site.

I think this week will go down in history as the week with the most new owners of projectors ever.:D

Congrats guys and enjoy.

John Rheaume

Auditioning
Chad

You can get a Da-Lite Matte-White Model B pull down screen 16:9 and 80" wide for under $200. That would give you a 92" diagonal. Or you could go with a 4:3 AR and 80" wide could be had for about $150. This IMHO makes a very nice low cost screen for the X1.

Or you could cheap out like I did and make your own for about $30. Looks every bit as good as the commercial screens to me.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Is this deal temporary? Only next february will I be able to make a purchase of this magnitude.

--
Holadem

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure by next February you'll be able to get something better for less!!

You know, at first limited lamp life dictated that I conserve usage, but this has a lamp life of 3000 hours. That's a lot of TV! At, say, 10 hours per week, that's roughly 6 years!

On the down side, I see comments that this, like all other DLPs (AFAIK), has a halo--light leakage around the edge of the DLP chip. That's disappointing, but I'll check it all out when I get it.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
That still hasn't anwered my question :)

I guess I'll call and find out for myself...

--
Holadem

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Holadem:

The price drop I am not sure how long that will stay the way it is. The $100 rebate is good only through to the end of May of this year. I doubt that they even have the model X1 by February of next year. They are already talking about a model 4800 that sounds like the X1 replacement.

Parker

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Parker.

I've got to stay away from this thread, I might be able to buy it sooner, in the fall, but not before then, it would throw my fragile finances in shambles. Arrrgh!!!

Or I could sell my under-utilized SVS (apartment dweller) to help with the cost... AND my current 32 incher, instead of moving it to the bedroom... What have you guys done to me?! :)

--
Holadem

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Use a major credit card that doubles the warranty up to
1 year, Now your warranty is 3 years parts & Labor from two
and the last two years labor only from InFocus.
The way most of these work would be you pay the cost and
apply for a refund with the credit merchant services.
-Jerry

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Or I could sell my under-utilized SVS (apartment dweller) to help with the cost... AND my current 32 incher, instead of moving it to the bedroom... What have you guys done to me?!
Since I couldn't rationalize purchasing an X1 with out of pocket money due to a recent move to a bigger house I decided to sell off enough DVDs and other goodies on Half.com/eBay to fund the purchase. Only took a few weeks and in that time the price on the PJ dropped even further. One of the few HT purchases my wife had no qualms about and one of the biggest to boot.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Got mine today!

Woo hoo!

The fan is louder than I hoped for, but this is my first PJ. The picture's possibilities are amazing!

Best Buy B&M, pref customer 10% off = $958 after tax, before rebate, zero intrest.

I am now officially done with HT purchases ....;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks