What's new

I need to learn .NET fast! (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I just accepted a web developer/programmer job and one of the qualifications is .NET which I know nothing about. I have a Computer Science/Multimedia degree and took Python and Java for programming languages in school but I suck at programming and I need to learn .NET so that I am of value to this position.
I'm just looking for the best ways to learn, video tutorials, books, sites etc. Anything will help. I started to look at w3schools.com which I use for CSS and other web stuff, but what else is great for learning?

So what is the best way for me to dive head first and learn this stuff fast. Well not fast, but I do need to learn it for my job and the faster I learn it the better I am to do my new job.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I downloaded the express version the other day, thanks for the info too.
I'm trying to get any information and get a jump on this position.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Actually, I find this post a little encouraging.

Let's see... you got a job programming which you admittedly say you suck at... The position requires you to know .NET which again, you admittedly say you know nothing about.

I guess the job market for .NET developers is still pretty good out there if someone with little qualification can successfully land one. Encouraging for those who are good at programming and know .NET.

BTW, you'll find a lot of similarities between C# and Java.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Either that or the resume gave an impression that wasn't quite right ;) But hey, people have been there ;) Or, they are counting on your other skills meaning they just assume .NET is a given.

If I were you, invest a bit in TechNet and you can get a lot of great on point resources.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you can, I'd recommend taking a good, hands-on, week-long training course -- not just any old training class. Don't skimp by going the practically-free route on this, especially since you already admitted that you're not a good programmer. If you're actually really good, that would be one thing (and you might be able to get up-to-speed on your own), but since you're not...

If interested, Developmentor is quite good -- and is what our dev group started out w/ a couple years back:

http://www.develop.com/

_Man_

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

Hahaha, no they knew I knew nothing about .NET when I interviewed. They brought me on with other skills in mind and with the hope that I would be able to pick up .NET some what quick. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well said.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Did you get this job by combing the internet? Or networking?

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I think I stumbled across it while looking through CareerBuilder.com either that or while I was searching for any large company in the Tri -Cities area I found their site. But it was internet, no networking at all. I wish I knew people who could have helped me find a job a little quicker over the last 9 months. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Hey, you and me both!

But good luck in that position. I'm about ready to leave radio behind and get a job in TV or an IT job. I have a IT type degree.

Users who are viewing this thread