1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

I need alot of help with purchasing a 42-46" TV.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DonaldQ, Feb 6, 2005.

1. DonaldQ

DonaldQ Member

I am planning on buying a 42" or bigger tv but i am not sure if i have enough room and money. I have a 27 inch tv now which ihas a cabinet size of approxametly 2 feet. My sofa is 7 feet away from the tv. Will i be able to fit a 42 inch tv in this space?

I also have a budget of 1500. I will use it mostly for tv and HD if i am able to get it. I also spend alot of time gaming but do not spend alot of time watching dvd movies. I have looked at some tvs. The Sony KP46WT520 for 1400 looks good. It has dvi and HDMI. Also there is the Akai pt4299HD for 899. There are many more i havent looked at so do you guys recommend any of these two or have others that have better picture quality or features?

2. DonaldQ

DonaldQ Member

anyone with any thoughts?

3. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Well-Known Member

4. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

I recommend the Sony, as well. But, for gaming --- I'm not sure because of the burn-in potential.

5. Brandon>C

Brandon>C Active Member

Panasonic 47x54

Hands down the best bank for your buck, Hd is also stunning.

Just my .02

6. Tom#B

Tom#B Well-Known Member

Look at the Toshiba 46H84. I got mine for $997 brand new two months ago, and I love it.

Tom

7. DonaldQ

DonaldQ Member

Well after reading that thread i am not getting a rptv.
    I spend most of my time watching sports and playing video games. So i am already paranoid and do not want to waste my time worrrying about it. Plus i have only watched maybe 5 dvd on my tv in my whole life so i am not a big movie watcher.

I probably will just wait and maybe in a few months get a 36" standard tv. I dont think it is the right time for me to buy it considering what i will be using my tv for.

Do you agree or am i making a mistake by not enjoying big widesreen tv?

8. Dave Farley

It all depends on your viewing habits and budget. With a budget of $1500, your only options are an RP CRT or direct-view(tube). I know a few may disagree, but I would never buy RP CRT if I was planning on doing a lot of gaming. When it comes to everything else, I feel that CRT(RP or direct-view)has better picture quality than anything else out there.

Since you're only going to be seven feet from the screen, why not look at a direct-view in 36" 4:3 or a 34" 16:9(widescreen)? I would get one that is at least HD-ready. I wouldn't bother with analog at this point if it's going to be your primary set and if you won't have the budget for replacing it in the near future. If you still watch a lot of SD programming(non-HD), consider a 36" 4:3. If you plan on watching mostly HD, DVD, and most of the games you're going to play will support 16:9, get the 34". If you watch a lot of SD but still prefer the widescreen, go to the store and get them to put on an SD source and then use the stretch and zoom modes. See if you can tolerate them. Some can, some can't.

You really need to decide what your viewing habits will be. There are compromises to any type of set you choose.

Here are some to look at. When it comes to tube TVs, I prefer the picture on a Sony so those are the models I'll list here. There are other good brands as well. Toshiba, Panasonic, JVC, etc.

Sony:

36XS955-$1700 with free stand.

36HS420

34HS420

They make a 34XBR960 and a 34XS955 but they're out of your budget. Check out the websites for the brands I mentioned. Realize that you'll get most of these sets cheaper than the MSRP listed at the websites, with the exception of the 36XS955. I've seen that at best Buy and two local dealers and they're all asking MSRP, but you do get an otherwise $200+ stand thrown in for free.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...%22TVs&Dept=tv

9. DonaldQ

DonaldQ Member

Wow those 36" tvs are really expensive. I went to checkout some tvs at best buy and circuit city and the sony widescreen 36" tvs were really good. However, i did check out the toshiba 46h84 for 1200 bucks!

I really like the quality of the 46h84 and it was pretty small in size as well. I could use my zenith 27 inch for gaming though i do want to enjoy my games on a better tv.

I feel that if i am going to get a 36" tv for 1500 why not just get a 46 inch though it has many flaws for what i need it for.

I am just going in circles so i will wait and learn alittle more about what tv is right for me. Also save more money and get a dlp or lcd. I am not sure.

I think i am gonna wait till football season starts to see what i want to do. THat would give me enough time to learn about all this and hopefully have more cash. Thanks for your help.

10. Dave Farley

The 36" would be a 4:3 and the 34" would be a widescreen(16:9). Here'a link to a calculator where you can compare image sizes of different aspect ratios on 16:9 and 4:3 sets.

http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

You really should decide what type of use the TV will see. A lot of SD(regular TV), some HD, occasional DVD, and a lot of gaming versus mainly HD, DVD, and newer widescreen games. A $1,500 budget is going to limit you to a direct-view CRT or an RP CRT. I really think that 46" RPTV would be a mistake if you do a lot of gaming. A tube TV can get burn-in as well but it's less susceptible than the projection set.

You could get the 46" and hang onto the 27" for games as you mentioned. I also think a 36" or a 46" will be too large when viewing SDTV(regular analog TV) from seven feet. I would move back if possible.

Panasonic makes an RP LCD set that comes close to your budget. It's a 43" but it runs just under $2,000 at CC which is about $500 past your budget. You'll need a stand so add up to $300 for that as well. Personally, I don't think RP LCD or any other newer technology has the picture quality of a direct-view or RP CRT due to the fact that they can't match the black levels of CRT, but most still give a nice picture. Just be aware of the advantages/disadvantages of each type of set. The only reason I mentioned this one is due to the fact that you said you do a lot of gaming and would be watching SD. You won't have to worry about burn-in with this type of set so you could play as many games as you want and watch SD without stretch/zoom modes.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...odel=PT-43LC14

11. DonaldQ

DonaldQ Member

I am still not perfectly sure what i will use the tv for. If i am going to get the tv i will probably get hdtv as well from Dish Netwrok if they offer it.

I don't think all the local bulls, cubs, and whitesox games are in hd and i spend alot of my time watching them.
    I don't reallly watch prime time tv except a select few shoes on cbs.

The main reason for buying the tv is i want to watch sports, play some games on it, and i will probably watch more dvds because of the tv. Its crappy watching a dvd on a 27 inch crap tv.

I did see the picture quality difference between rptv and lcd but the burn in problem is huge because my tv is on from 8:00am to 12:00 pm. Somebody is always watching.

My plan is to get a dlp or lcd so to do that i would have to save some money until i get 2500 dollars or more.

I think rptv is out of the question because of the reasons i will be needing the tv for. I will get the tube tv if i cant wait and dont have enough money but i am leaning towards getting a lcd or dlp. Thanks for all your help

12. Brandon>C

Brandon>C Active Member

Burn is almost a thing of the past. On my set Panasonic 47x54, Its on 6 hours give or take an hour everyday. I have also been know to get into long weekends of gaming on the tv as well with no ill affects. As long as you set it up properly and take it out of tourch mode you will be fine.

13. Dave Farley

Donald,

If that's your intended use, then a widescreen set sounds like it would be a good idea. If a 34" isn't big enough, then wait until you can spend more. There is a fair amount of sports in HD, but there is still a lot of upconverted SD on the HD channels. If the budget is tight right now, waiting a little while until you can afford something else wouldn't be a bad idea. Considering your gaming preferences, I would wait until you can afford something that won't give burn-in worries.

14. DonaldQ

DonaldQ Member

yeah 34" is too small. Yeah i will just have to wait a little longer to get the tv but i can wait. I am not in any hurry. I ll just do more research and hope technology improves and get cheaper.

Thanks dave.