What's new

I need a Storage Solution (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm starting to become buried in my TV On DVD collection. In addition to the 1200 DVD's I own my TV on DVD collection has grown and I'm finding myself with Stacks of collections and it's starting to get unwieldly. Thankfully Studios have starting to use slim cases but still alot of collections are still Huge. I Love having the cases on display but it's becoming impractical. I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions, the closest thing I'm thinking about is putting the disks in Slim CD Cases and printing out cover sheets. I've ruled out binders since they mostly all scratch. Anyone else running into and finding solutions for space considerations.

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I ran into that problem, so I sold all my movies and just kept the TV on DVD.
I think if you want to go the slim case route, that might work for you,

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have about 200 anime DVD's, which take top priority over my library and then I have about 300-400 DVD's between movies and TV Shows on DVD. When I need to dump DVD's, I just sell them on Ebay ... ehehe ...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I finally put up shelving too, having run out of room in my two DVD storage cases and not wanting to buy a third. For now I have plenty of room to grow (a whole other wall could be filled up).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm really leaning toward putting the disk in Slimline Cases with Artwork and labeling the Spine somehow. I really hate fighting with packafing when I need a TV disk, and I see no end in sight to the storage issue

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
What have you got under your bed? :)

A great place for storing stuff, if it is empty. I'm sure that there must be some plastic containers out (Home Depot) that will fit.

Glenn

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Not if you sleep on a futon. Some day I'll have a big boy bed! :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm not really concerned about storing the empties it's storing the disks

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I recently ran out of room to store my TV on DVD collection and built some great shelving. There are three units with a total of over 100 feet of shelf space. I have filled less than a third of it. If I ever fill the entire thing, I will need to find another hobby:D

On a somewhat related topic, anyone who collects these sets knows how quickly the money spent on them can add up. I recently shocked myself by adding up the replacement cost of what I have purchased, and was shocked that it had exceeded five figures. Has anyone checked with their insurance agent to find out how far their homeowners policy would go in replacing the sets in the event of theft or destruction of the collection?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I'm very jealous. :D Just yesterday I bought a new case for just my music-related DVDs. My movies and a few of my TV shows are on a shelf above my computer desk, but my TV shows have a case that is nearly as tall as myself full of TV sets.

I really regret not buying those $7 shelves from when a local store went out of business last year.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Have you considered buying a 300-400+ disc DVD player? I currently have 3 300 disc DVD players and may get a couple more. The price of these players really isn't that bad considering they hold and play so many discs. Considering all the space they will save (as far as shelves and closet space for the discs is concerned) and the fact that all or most of your discs will actually live inside the players (no need to look for the discs you want to play and fiddle with taking them out of the case each time you want to play a new one), it may be a worthwhile investment. The Sony DVP-CX985V is a 400 disc DVD player that currently goes in the $250-$300 range. Do a google search for 400 disc DVD player, and you'll find many of them listed. Good luck.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It's an interesting possibility. I know alot of these changers allow you to use Artwork as well. I have a question for you. We used a CD Jukebox at work and the Disks sitting in there got Massively Dirty with a thin layer of film (Dust) on them. Does this happen to the DVD Changers?

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Well Dave, I can only answer from my own personal experience. I've owned 3 of these 300 DVD disc changers for over 3 yrs now, and I haven't had any problems with dirt accumulation. I'm sure if it ever should occur though, the problem could be easily fixed by either blowing inside the changer, or better yet, using one of those compressed air cans. Nothing worth worrying about though. Just the fact that these machines hold so many discs is reason enough to consider them, when it comes to space saving. Good luck to you.

Carlos.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to 2nd what Carlos said. I didn't think anyone else was as crazy as I am. I have 3 x 300's and 1 x 400. Two of them since March of 2000, and I've never had to clean any of the disks.

You won't need to worry about hubs breaking any more. Two Pioneer units can be linked together so that you can run the numbers from 1 - 600.

For outputs, (Carlos, what are you doing?) I got a Radio Shack A/V switcher for the video, and an MSB automatic digital switcher for the audio. The cases are in plastic bins in another room.

The only downside is that you'll have to write down where you put that disk.

Glenn

edit - never a scratch, either

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Dave, no problems with scratching whatsoever. Since the discs live inside the player, they only need to be handled once. Once inside the player, they never need to be touched by human hands again. Since my players also have a "FLIP DISC" option that will play the other side of the disc, it's excellent for double-sided discs (no worries about handling those delicate discs either).

Glenn, I have an Audio Authority, signal sensing digital A/V video switcher connected to my Pioneer amplifier. This switcher allows up to 4 devices to be input into it, and automatically detects which device you want to run. Overall, I'm very happy with my setup.

Carlos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks