What's new

I need a new receiver!!! Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

BDB0808

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Beadle
Hey everyone, im kinda new to the home theater scene. I just got a new tv and am looking to upgrade my current system piece by piece. I just ordered my new subwoofer, a velodyne dps-10, and am going to have to wait on the center and satellites for a while. But for now they will have to do, Theater Research TR-8200 (don't laugh). I have a fairly untrained ear and have 2 questions. I need a new receiver and am not sure where to start. And when I do upgrade, i need some suggestion on speakers. I am on a pretty tight budget. what brand do you recommend for speakers. I watch alot of action movies and listen to a little music, alternative, rap, and some rock. So I dont need anything REAL special. I dont know much about receivers so thats where you guys come in. I appreciate all your help.

BDB0808

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Beadle
Thanks for the welcome.
I realized that they were a scam after reading some other posts on a couple sites. Although since I am new i thought the system sounded great hooked up to my pioneer. The sub was very deep and loud with very little distortion. When I was living in my apartment I would get a call from the neighbors 3 stories down when I was watching action movies telling me to turn it down, we had concrete floors and ceilings. I only paid $90 for the entire set on ebay. I thought it was worlds better than any $100 HTIB I have ever heard. Although it is now time to upgrade to a more refined and quality system. That is why I am here.
My budget is around $200 for the receiver. Low I know, but I will be clearance shopping and ebaying. I got my $500 velodyne for under 300, not bad I thought.
I will be getting the PS3 for my bluray.
PVR? sorry im pretty new to this:)

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
On a tight budget, your best bet is probably the Panasonic XR55, this model has a cult following over at AVS. I've seen the SA-XR55S as low as $150. No HDMI, but you would have a hard time finding better for $200. However, I haven't tried this AVR for myself so I can't offer an opinion on the sound quality.

jumbotron

Agent
Real Name
James
I am actually in the same boat. I am looking to upgrade my receiver (and maybe my speakers?). Right now I have a kenwood 100wattsX5 speakers and a 100 watt powered sub, but the receiver does not have the hdmi inputs that I want since it is old. I am not sure if I need to upgrade my speakers or just a receiver that can output the same amount. My dad loves yamaha, but I am unsure.

BDB0808

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Beadle
Sounds like we have the same problem. What is your budget? Let me know if find/demo anything you like!

jumbotron

Agent
Real Name
James
I saw a denon (spelling?) at bestbuy that sounded good, but it was like $600 and that is out of my price range, but it did have 100watts/channel and hdmi like I wanted. Maybe I should just save up.

macnerd77

Auditioning
Real Name
Joshua
I just purchased a onkyo tx-sr605 for 399.99 at circuitcity.com and picked it up instore. This Reciever is such a good deal for the money.
I say buy a good receiver now and upgrade the speakers when you can
Here is the features for the unit listed by onkyousa.com

Great sound: The Onkyo TX-SR605 7.1-channel receiver kicks out tons of rich sound, powering each channel with 90 watts at 8 ohms.

High-definition audio/video: With three HDMI inputs, you can receive and switch compatible sources for a pure digital connection to an HDTV. Also, all multichannel audio—including high resolDTS-HDution formats such as DTS, Dolby Digital and DVD Audio—can be digitally transported via HDMI for processing.

Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD is 100% lossless technology delivering tantalizing sound that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master, unlocking the true high-definition entertainment experience on next-generation discs. When coupled with high-definition video, Dolby TrueHD offers an unprecedented home theater experience that lets you enjoy sound as stunning as the high-definition picture.

DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio is capable of delivering audio that is a bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. DTS-HD Master Audio delivers audio at variable bit rates that are significantly higher than standard DVDs—24.5 mega-bits per second (Mbps) on Blu-ray discs and 18.0 Mbps on HD-DVD. With DTS-HD Master Audio, you'll experience movies and music exactly as the artist intended: clear, pure, and uncompromised.

Video upconversion: The HDMI inputs can receive pristine digital video from HDMI-enabled components for a single-cable output to a display device with an HDMI or DVI connection. It can also upconvert analog signals (480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i) to HDMI, so that all connected video sources can be output via one cable. And if your display doesn’t have HDMI capability, you can use the HD-quality component video connections, which will also cover your S-Video and composite video sources. You’ll also get progressive scan that utilizes a deinterlacing chip with Faroudja DCDI Edge technology, which helps eradicate video artifacts from HDMI images.

Wide Range Amplifier Technology: Onkyo's WRAT technology minimizes negative feedback, eliminates ground-potential fluctuations and offers higher instantaneous current capability. The bottom line: you get powerful, more accurate sound reproduction.

AM/FM tuner: Enjoy all your favorite radio stations with the built-in AM/FM digital tuner. Switch easily between them with 40 programmable presets.

Audyssey MultEQ® XT: This technology detects speakers, and then sets levels, delays and crossovers, as well as measuring room acoustics. Using the receiver interface, it takes up to 8 measurements around the listening area and uses high-resolution equalization filters for satellites and subwoofers.

XM Radio®: Connect to more than 150 channels of uninterrupted music, news, sports, talk and entertainment with XM Radio. Paid subscription and antenna are required (sold separately).

SIRIUS™ Radio: Enjoy over 130 digital-quality channels, including 69 channels of 100% commercial-free music, plus exclusive channels of sports, news, talk, entertainment, traffic, weather and data. A special jack connects to a SIRIUSConnect home tuner kit (sold separately).

iPod®-ready: Connect your iPod using the DS-A1 remote interactive dock (sold separately).

Cinema filter: This filter creates the correct tonal balance of a movie soundtrack in the smaller environs of your home—you’ll enjoy the movie the way it was originally recorded and meant to be heard.

Hope this helps
Joshua

BDB0808

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Beadle
Thanks for all the input guys. I think im gonna go with the onkyo 505 and circuit city. Its on sale for 250 and has most all the same features as the 605. and i really like the hdmi 2 in 1 out since im gonna be hanging tv on a wall i don't want a waterfall of cords comin down off it. Thanks

jumbotron

Agent
Real Name
James

Thanks for the input, I really do not like circuit city because they always try and push crap on you that you don't need because they work on commission. So I don't shop there at all. But that receiver does sound pretty nice for the price...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks