What's new

I love you guys, I really do, but I'll be damned if I view another movie you suggest. (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Chris,

I'm not sure if you're serious or being sarcastic. In anycase, it's your fault for not using the information provided (Movie Recommendations) wisely. You should rent before you purchase. Or just wait until the movie comes to one of the premium channels like HBO, Showtime etc. Or borrow it from a friend or your local library before you purchase it.

RobR

Second Unit
I do view movies based on others' recommendations; however, I don't flip out if I don't like the movies. There is even a number of highly-touted "great" movies that I didn't like despite their popularity with many people here. For example, I didn't like Amadeus, Apocalypse Now, and The Godfather, Part II. On the other hand, I loved The Godfather, Seven Samurai, Taxi Driver, Midnight Cowboy, Raging Bull, to name a few.

View at your own risk.

P.S. Run Lola Run and A Clockwork Orange are great. Being John Malkovich is not that impressive, but entertaining. I haven't seen The Cell, The Fast and the Furious, or Jeepers Creepers.

RicP

Screenwriter
Well there's no accounting for taste...or lack thereof.
Oh and Chris...Do ya think your sig is big enough? ;)

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator
Oh and Chris...Do ya think your sig is big enough?
I figured I needed to make it big enough for my friends here to be able to read it. It's obvious you are all blind!
:D
I have added a smaller size file for the sig, how is it now?
I only bought Being John Malkovich, the rest I rented. Thank God for small favors.
As an aside I just finished watching Willow that I bought tonight. Well, let me say it isn't what I remembered...Anybody interested in a deal?
I guess I'm just getting old.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The thing to keep in mind is that if a thread is heavy in favor of a movie, many of us who don't like the film will just not post in said thread.
Sure I trash films I don't like all the time on this forum. But If I see a thread titled "Wow Patch Adams is an amazing movie!" I'll just stay away rather than raining on some poor misguided sap's parade :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Mitty is right.
I love when people say "you guys say this, then you guys say that". In almost every case IT AIN'T THE SAME GUYS. :)
Run Lola Run and BJMalk, sure. Funny thing about Lola is that I know few people that don't enjoy it or love it.
I didn't recommend FnF since I just saw it myself and upon doing so I still wouldn't recommend it.
Jeepers Creepers, haven't seen and not in a hurry to change that.
The Cell, well Ebert recommended it but who the hell is he (actually lately I think many of us really do think that about him :)). I thought it was decent.
Clockwork Orange - loved by millions, you would have been told to see it without ever coming here.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I think that you can find a positive comment on just about any movie if you look hard enough.
You can't take opinions as fact ...you just can't.
Personally, I liked all of the movies that you mentioned, some more than others, but I enjoyed them all to different degrees.
Maybe movies are just not your thing? The films that you did not like cover a lot of ground from 'A' grade films to 'F' grade films depending on who you ask -but seeing as how you hated them all, I am not sure what kind of movie you would like. You might be happier spending your recreational time doing something other then watching films. :D

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I have added a smaller size file for the sig, how is it now?
Actually, I dont know what Rick's original intent behind the comment was, but I wasnt thinking physical size so much as the fact that your old sig was 77Kb. Now your at 17, much better. I'm sure modem users will appreciate it. ;)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I clicked on this thread, all really to give my opinions on Legally Blonde, but damn, the fact that I LOVE The Cell and Being John Malkovich really took the wind out of my sails. Still, why keep checking out movies, praised here, when you never like them? I though Fast and the Furious was just a bad remake of Point Break, but I'm not bitter about having seen it!
I didn't like Amadeus, Apocalypse Now, and The Godfather, Part II. On the other hand, I loved The Godfather...
How is it possible that someone could LOVE The Godfather but DISLIKE The Godfather Part 2. This seems really strange to me! Its like saying I hate apples, but I really like apples!
And BTW, Legally Blonde blows! :D

RicP

Screenwriter
Actually, I dont know what Rick's original intent behind the comment was, but I wasnt thinking physical size so much as the fact that your old sig was 77Kb
Exactly. Sorry I wasn't specific enough. :) I know that Parker & Co. like to keep all sigs below 20k and preferably around 10k if possible.
And to keep this post on topic...
Jeepers Creepers was a steaming pile of donkey poo. :D

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
You want to see someone who loves all kinds of flicks!
I loved:
TITANIC
FAST AND THE FURIOUS
ALL THE GODFATHER FILMS
MOULIN ROUGE
I hated:
PEARL HARBOR
GONE IN 60 SECONDS
BEING JOHN MALKOVICH and THE CELL were interesting pieces.
What's my point?
I dunno! :)

Just don't let people build you up for a movie. How I feel about a movie has a lot to do with my expectations of the movie. If you get told over and over that a movie is going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, then as you watch it you are analyzing every aspect of the movie. The movies I have liked the best are the ones I either have not heard of or have heard from many people that the movie sucks.

Somebody made the comment about finding a critic that felt the same way about movies and sticking with that person. I have searched for that "golden critic" and decided they just don't exist. Each person's life experiences are different and I doubt you will find two people that agree on each and every movie. (Unless you find your soul mate like one lucky person above.)

Also, I could say that my mood effects how much I like a movie and at what point in my life I saw the movie. I've read a lot of reviews and watched a lot of movies. I've decided to not form my opinion of a movie until I see the movie myself. Never to buy a movie before I've watched it. About the only thing you can do is read a review to find out what type of movie it is, and try to ignore the opinions until you can form one of your own.

-Craig

P.S. Opinions are like assholes, everybodies got one.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, no one is being forced to see a film. Read the posts, and read the reviews in the print media. Then decide if you want to see a film or not.

A CLockwork Orange is, however, a major masterpiece.

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
I have no idea if you are a J6P who likes "The Mummy Returns" and "Planet of the Apes" or if you only love Westerns for example.
Just bacause someone may like one those movies. I didn't like one of them but did like the other. That does not make them a J6P! This forum is fun and informative, but sometimes it's very annoying. So many people on here have this my shit smells better than yours attitude. Thanks, end of rant.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
The Cell (J.Lo
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
) - :emoji_thumbsup:
Clockwork Orange - :emoji_thumbsup:
All the "Godfathers" - :emoji_thumbsup:
Being John Malkovich - :emoji_thumbsup:
Moulin Rouge - :thumbsdown:
Jeepers Creepers - :thumbsdown:
Run Lola Run - :emoji_thumbsup:
Fast & Furious -
smiley_puke.gif

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I'm a car nut (sort of) intot he whole foreign car market scene and I still really enjoyed Fast and the Furiose.

As for all the others I really enjoyed them as well.

Clockwork Orange was agreat flick, the last half hour drug on though. (ha - no pun intended)

paul_v

Second Unit
rottentomatoes.com is probably the best place to see if a movie is good or not. That's what I use and it's a pretty accurate indicator since it tallies every review a film gets.

Users who are viewing this thread