What's new

I love vinyl! (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

Ummm... ok... I guess I'm a genius or simply lucky, as my system sounds fantastic.

A couple of years ago I bought a new Rega turntable and am loving it. I have it hooked up to a B&K with a phono stage. I have a rather large collection (not as large as some of you people), but nice nonetheless. I find I never suffer from "ear fatigue" as I have listening to CDs. I just purchased an original "All Things Must Pass" from a used record store with poster and all (as well as a couple of other albums). Sounds great. While I have records that have pops, none of my records skip or anything like that. All of them are totally playable.

I guess I'm just lucky.

However, I am a fan of SACDs. Wish more would be released that way.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I still like my experience with "Running on Empty". I've only heard that song on CD, and I think it's a kick ass song. But when I heard it on Vinyl, my ears were blown away. Love that opening.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I have your old LP of Aja, Phil. Sounds great, but there's a skip in the groove right before the beginning of "Black Cow." If you drop the needle just right it will miss it, but if you drop it too early, it skips the first half of the first measure.

...so I listen to the MD.

By the way, Phil, your old Sanyo turntable is still rocking and rolling like a magickiss.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have another copy of Aja. Hey it's in a frame ready to put on the wall when I want to. LP covers = art. Another nice thing about them.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Excuse my ignorance to a possibly very obvious answer...

but if you put the cover in the frame, you do take the record out first right? (i dunno, could be some collectible?)
And if so, where do you keep it now that the cover is in a frame?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Went home for Memorial Day and raided my dad's LP collection. Graceland sounds awesome, and I don't think I've ever heard "You Can Call Me Al" or "Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes" sound better. We also listened to Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus" and Thriller. Dark Side of the Moon sounds awesome.

A friend of mine brought over Back in Black, Hotel California, and News of the World.

Do they make stereo speakers small? My dad has these Ininity Towers that stand six feet tall. :eek:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I agree. Graceland is much better sounding on vinyl than the CD as are many Van Morrisons.

I saw DSOTM on vinyl and some great Sinatras at Tower Records recently.

KrisM

Second Unit
I've jumped into vinyl lately, and love it. I've got Springsteen's Nebraksa lp playing right now.
I went from a classical selection of a few CDs/SACDs to a vinyl collection of over 500. Each one cost between 25 cents to a dollar. My wife even scored a collection of 100 for free. And classical lps are usually in great shape.
I've also picked up about 200 pop/rock/blues/jazz lps along the way and most cost the same as the classical discs. There a number of albums that sound better on vinyl. U2 and AC/DC, among others sound great on vinyl. Of course there are some duds in my collection, but at a dollar or less, you can take chances.
Not to mention you can find good turntables for cheap. My Marantz cost me $7CDN. $49 with a new stylus and belt.

Regards
KrisM

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I bought a copy of Miles Davis "My Funny Valentine" on vinyl today and it sounds glorious. What I'd like to find next is a great vocal version of "My Funny Valentine." Can anyone recommend a singer/album?

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Since you did use the word "great"...let me suggest:

Sarah Vaughan
Chet Baker
Ella Fitzgerald
Frank Sinatra
Carmen McRae
Etta James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks