What's new

Blu-ray Review I Love Lucy: Ultimate Season 1 Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
JohnMor said:
For what it's worth. Target.com right now has a temp price cut on this down to $59.99, with free shipping since it's over $50. If you have their Red Card, you can save an additional 5% off that. The website says not available in stores, but I don't know if that's because it's still in "pre-order" status, or if it won't be carried in store at all. For me, $56.99 was worth paying and mine should be delivered by the end of the week. http://www.target.com/p/i-love-lucy-the-complete-first-season-6-discs-blu-ray/-/A-15108703#prodSlot=medium_1_19&term=i+love+lucy
Thanks for that. Just ordered it and "Andy Griffith," which is the same price, with my Red Card. Guess I'll have to return my Amazon order of "Lucy" when it arrives.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think I would have noticed if that's so, but it was many weeks ago, and I'm in the midst of the R&H box right now. I'll check next week when I have put this mammoth box to rest.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
moviebuff75 said:
People on another board are saying that these have been heavily dnr'd. Please say it isn't so!
If there is DNR present, it has been judiciously used and not heavily so. I rewatched two randomly chosen episodes tonight: the syndicated version of "Pioneer Women" and the original broadcast version of "Cuban Pals." The later had what might be construed as some DNR (maybe to help the original commercial material blend more seamlessly with the show itself), but there is no excessive smoothing, no heavy contrast, no unnatural appearance that I could see. Perhaps others are more clever about spotting such digital manipulation, but what I saw was for the most part very pleasing and natural to my eyes.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I am quite amazed at the quality of the restoration work they did on the 16mm elements. Yes, they're a little rougher than the 35mm (obviously), but it's like night and day compared to the 16mm elements on the dvds. I had no idea how much work had been put into that aspect of it. Also, I really prefer these menus to the dvd ones (not that that is all that important), especially the dropping of the video title cards that were carry-overs from the vhs days. So far, I am quite happy with my purchase for the price ($56.99 on Target.com).

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Well thanks to Matt's great review and what Rob said decided the question. I went to purchase Lucy and of course the price had gone back up. I know I am sure it will come down again but that has always been my luck.

I wondered if the CBS Sunday broadcast opening is on my DVDs or just the blu-rays?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
moviebuff75 said:
People on another board are saying that these have been heavily dnr'd. Please say it isn't so!
No, they have not. Though some DNR has been done on the 16mm elements, the body of the shows don't feature any excessive noise reduction... I can clearly remember noticing grain.

In my opinion, this is the single greatest TV season box set ever. Every single thing I could have thought to do with this set has been done. It is unbelievable to me that I can actually sit and watch these episodes from start to finish exactly as originally broadcast, commercials and all. They did a stupendous job on this. I hope they continue the "night of broadcast" option on upcoming seasons.

Real Name
Jeremy
Brian W. said:
In my opinion, this is the single greatest TV season box set ever. Every single thing I could have thought to do with this set has been done. It is unbelievable to me that I can actually sit and watch these episodes from start to finish exactly as originally broadcast, commercials and all. They did a stupendous job on this. I hope they continue the "night of broadcast" option on upcoming seasons.
After watching the first disc of this set, I totally agree. I was blown away by the quality and attention to detail in the way the episodes are presented as well as the extras. I still can't believe how sharp and clear the kinescope material looks, and the transitions between the 16mm and 35mm material are so much smoother than the DVD releases. Having the option to just watch the familiar syndicated versions is great too.

It's a shame that there have been so many complaints about the price since in this case, I think the set is worth every penny. This is a fascinating record of the 1950s TV experience that I never thought I'd be able to see so easily. For those who think it's not worth it, the existing DVD sets should more than suffice. I can't wait until they get to the Hollywood episodes, my favorite part of the series!

A huge thanks to CBS/Paramount for giving Lucy fans/classic TV fans this release!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
A. Pismo Clam said:
After watching the first disc of this set, I totally agree. I was blown away by the quality and attention to detail in the way the episodes are presented as well as the extras. I still can't believe how sharp and clear the kinescope material looks, and the transitions between the 16mm and 35mm material are so much smoother than the DVD releases. Having the option to just watch the familiar syndicated versions is great too.

It's a shame that there have been so many complaints about the price since in this case, I think the set is worth every penny. This is a fascinating record of the 1950s TV experience that I never thought I'd be able to see so easily. For those who think it's not worth it, the existing DVD sets should more than suffice. I can't wait until they get to the Hollywood episodes, my favorite part of the series!

A huge thanks to CBS/Paramount for giving Lucy fans/classic TV fans this release!
I completely agree. At first glance, the digital work they did on Lucy may not be as "sexy" as the effects work on the Star Trek series, but it's just as plentiful and involved. Beautifully done from start to finish. WELL worth the price I paid. I hope they keep it up.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
bryan4999 said:
Anyone know how this is selling? Just wondering if CBS will continue to release the rest of the series.
I'd be really curious to know as well. I was just watching a couple episodes last night.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Or at least a round of different releases from their classic library just in time for Christmas shopping, if they wanted to spread these out 12 months or so apart like is often the norm.

That we're getting nothing where classic tv on Blu-Ray is concerned, suggests to me that they're done.

I wonder if the thought ever crossed their mind that the barriers to entry they placed on these sets by their high price points has played a role in modest sales?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The costs behind prepping this series for Blu-ray would be quite considerable, so I understand that the prices on these sets would be high, but I'd have thought a complete set, at a higher price, would be more palatable for consumers than getting each season individually.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Perhaps, such as the case with this particular set with all the extra TLC that went into it.

But with HD transfers available for much of their most popular line of classics (And such transfers being the norm when they do remastering for DVD releases, tv airings, etc.), they don't necessarily have to be expensive productions, let alone several times the cost of DVD season sets from CBS.

And this is just speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had slashed their prices, if the added sales would easily compensate and even change the entire outlook here.

$130 is great, but make it $60 MSRP, and I wouldn't be surprised if after the typical discount at a place like Amazon, if each sale they actually earned would've ended up being 5 units sold instead.

$40 or so, and I could see many more fans double dipping and upgrading from what were very satisfactory DVD releases.

But CBS priced most folks out. At what they wanted, one could get the entire series in fine form on DVD.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
I bought the blu ray version of I Love Lucy and was so disappointed in the DVDs. The picture quality was awful. I wish I had not bought it. I should have just stayed with my original dvd release.

I am wanting to buy The Honeymooners on Blu Ray but I am afraid the picture quality will be just as bad as the Lucy DVD. I could save 35 dollars if I go just the regular DVD route on The Honeymooners.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks