What's new

"I Love Lucy" Complete Series (1 Viewer)

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie
Buy.com has it for $147.13 including shipping. (Always check DVDpricesearch.com!!!)

Heh...that's not bad- I sold my set, used on Amazon for $124!

Kylan1935

Auditioning
Real Name
Kylan
I Love Lucy bonus features... any differences?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i guess to make this simple... is there anything missing bonus feature wise when it comes to the complete series package? the reason i ask... i bought all the season sets originally.. then gave them to my nephew when i ordered the complete series.. ive watched all the way thru season 4 and i feel like there are things missing bonus wise that were on the season sets.. can anyone give me a detailed comparison bonus wise between the individual seasons and the complete series.. i know there has been stuff added to the complete series set, and i dont just mean the bonus disc.. correct? anyway if i make any sense, id appreciate the help.. mainly im just concerned i lost some bonus material by giving away my season sets..

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Bonus material is the same on complete set and the individual season sets.
The differences between the two are what you already know. Season 1 was remastered on the complete series set and the bonus disc with the I Love Lucy movie and the colorized episode. Not sure what you think you are missing.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I had some questions I hoped someone could answer for me about the complete series release. Didn't have any luck answering this just now after doing some research.

Do the earlier seasons now have the original openings available as an option to be played for each episode like the later releases did?

is the single episode of the I Love Lucy radio program included (Basically, an episode of the television show turned into a radio program with some additions)? I know it exist and isn't lost.

Someone mentioned early in this thread "I don't believe the missing strawberries bit from the hour long show is back". What does that mean? Is there a scene missing somewhere, the original show opening isn't used, or what? Are they all intact and uncut? I've seen all those hour long episodes in syndication as the Lucy Desi Comedy Hour, but I'm unaware of what they're referring to and would like to know if it's there if it should be.

Has all missing footage been restored? For example, several episodes apparantly were missing some of their footage in the season 4 release due to how this show was mishandled nearly 50 years ago..Was a second attempt made to try to get this restored for the complete series? If not, is the bonus disc at least included that offered those scenes (TVShowsonDVD's report of it at the time made it sound like these scenes were added later as a replacement offer for disc 5 of that release)?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

Someone mentioned early in this thread "I don't believe the missing strawberries bit from the hour long show is back". What does that mean? Is there a scene missing somewhere, the original show opening isn't used, or what? Are they all intact and uncut? I've seen all those hour long episodes in syndication as the Lucy Desi Comedy Hour, but I'm unaware of what they're referring to and would like to know if it's there if it should be.
I can explain about the strawberries scene.

It refers to the hour episode with Tallulah Bankhead, "The Celebrity Next Door."

That was one of the first five hour shows (from the 1957-58 season). Those were shown as "specials," while the other eight hour shows were part of "The Westinghouse-Desilu Playhouse" series in 1958-59 and 1959-60.

The five "specials" ran longer than the other eight shows, so they had to have more cut out when the thirteen shows were first shown as "The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" on CBS in the summer of 1962.

For those five shows on the so-called "Season 7" DVD, several cut scenes were not reinserted where they belonged because the only available footage wasn't up to the standard of the rest of the shows.

However, those missing scenes were given as extras.

In one of the "missing scenes" in "The Celebrity Next Door," Bankhead tells the Ricardos she's allergic to strawberries. This comes into the story later when Lucy tricks her into eating strawberries during the play they're putting on.

This scene was included as an extra on the Season 7 set, but for some mysterious reason, the line where she tells them about the strawberries was missing from the start of the scene. The scene just starts abruptly, almost in the middle of a sentence if I recall correctly.

Now, whether or not the full scene has been restored for the Complete Series set, I don't know.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

I had some questions I hoped someone could answer for me about the complete series release. Didn't have any luck answering this just now after doing some research.

Do the earlier seasons now have the original openings available as an option to be played for each episode like the later releases did?

is the single episode of the I Love Lucy radio program included (Basically, an episode of the television show turned into a radio program with some additions)? I know it exist and isn't lost.

I can answer these.

No, to openings. They are eactly the same on the Complete set as they were on the season sets, so the earlier seasons do NOT give you the option. The original openings for the earlier seasons are only in the extras.

No, the radio show is NOT included.

As an FYI, with the exception of the Bonus disc and the Season One discs (which have been remastered for the Complete set), all the remaining discs are the identical discs found in the season sets, down to the disc artwork.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Thanks

What about the deleted scenes from season 4? In the report I link to at the end of this message, it makes it sound like these "lost scenes" were discovered after the initial release of season 4. The way it reads, they were added into disc 5 as bonus content after the initial DVD release and could be requested as a free replacement for the disc 5 shipped with the set. Also, there was a replacement program for disc 4 of this set as well, due to an issue with one episode on it not working correctly in some players.

If true and it wasn't just worded poorly, can you confirm that the complete series includes this "fixed" disc 5 with those bonus scenes added to it? Also, while I can't imagine why it wouldn't be, is disc 4 the fixed version on this set without the playback issue some people encountered?

There's absolutely no logical reason why the improved versions of both disc that were offered as free replacement shouldn't already be in this complete series, but I've grown to realize in this business that logic is all too often lacking while there's often plenty of carelessness. So it's a question worth asking as I consider purchasing this set.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Love-Lucy/4164

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Yes, both S4 discs in question are the "fixed" ones (the later pressings.) I haven't heard of any Complete sets coming with the earlier versions of the discs. But on the off chance that someone got them in their set, I'm sure Paramount would still honor the exchange program. Seriously doubt it's an issue, though.

putzangel

Auditioning
Real Name
Joan
Okay, confused. There are two different types of I Love Lucy complete series out there. One where the cover is black and white and one which is this newer colored heart one. What I want to know is if the newer one is colored in or is it the original black and whites? My daughter loves black and whites, so do not want to dissolution her with this colored out version.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Gary "it's amazing how cheap these complete sets can be had for nowadays" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary OS

Gary "it's amazing how cheap these complete sets can be had for nowadays" O.

np :). I have to admit that I've thought about it today..... still thinking about it.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
^ The pictures on the box may be in color but all the episodes are in their original black and white.
There is one colorized episode, "Lucy Goes to Scotland" included in the extras but it is also shown in B&W.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Amazon says the SRP is over $235 but honestly, it's been in the stores for ages and I've never seen it go for more than $100 or so. The individual season sets are never more than about $20 nowadays, and usually less than that. But--maybe they're burning through their inventory in anticipation of...a blu-ray re-release?? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks