What's new

I Love Lucy Complete Series Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
I would like to see I Love Lucy on Blu-Ray, with all 179 episodes, 13 specials, the pilot, and "I Love Lucy: The Movie" in 1080p HD and unedited.
All the special features from the season sets should be included.
The original openings and closings should be included with the episodes.
New special features should be included.
What new special features, do you think, should be included?
This commercial should be included:

Archival interviews with Lucy, Desi, and Vivian Vance should be included.
Weird Al's 1983 "Ricky" music video should be included.
New audio commentaries, production notes, and text commentaries should be included.
Promos, from CBS, syndication, Nick at Nite, TV Land, Me-TV, and other networks should be included.
I Love Lucy's 50th Anniversary Special (2001) should be included.
The unedited version of CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years (1976) should be included.
The February 1952 I Love Lucy radio show should be included.
New menus should be made for the Blu-Ray.
The Biography of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz should be included.
English subtitles should be included.
Additional bonus features should be included, including commentaries from the Criterion Collection laserdisc, additional cast commercials, photo galleries, documentaries, scripts from the series, and more.
All the episodes of Lucille Ball's radio show should be included in the Blu-Ray.
I Love Lucy: The Very First Show should be included.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
That's WestinGouse! I love the helicopter shot of the old 40 acres lot with the GWTW sets (Tara, the train station) still (barely) standing.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
While I generally don't comment on these wishlist posts, there is one thing that would make me go for a bluray Lucy set...
The Lucy/Desi comedy hour, finally uncut and unedited.
I can't believe CBS/P screwed up and used edited masters for the episodes and just stuck the cut footage on the discs as extras.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
The Obsolete Man said:
While I generally don't comment on these wishlist posts, there is one thing that would make me go for a bluray Lucy set...
The Lucy/Desi comedy hour, finally uncut and unedited.
I can't believe CBS/P screwed up and used edited masters for the episodes and just stuck the cut footage on the discs as extras.
The uncut footage only exists in the Arnaz' personal 16mm print while the edited masters are taken from a pristine 35mm source. The avid Lucy fans producing this disc wanted to incorporate the missing footage into the edited master, but their wishes were overruled by those in charge at CBS/P because it was felt that the drop in print quality was too severe. Believe me, the guys working on this disc feel your pain and did not "screw up" without a fight. That's why the footage made it into the set as bonus material. Although a mastering glitch in "The Celebrity Next Door" still managed to eliminate the key strawberry reference plot point contained in that cut footage.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rob_Ray said:
The uncut footage only exists in the Arnaz' personal 16mm print while the edited masters are taken from a pristine 35mm source. The avid Lucy fans producing this disc wanted to incorporate the missing footage into the edited master, but their wishes were overruled by those in charge at CBS/P because it was felt that the drop in print quality was too severe. Believe me, the guys working on this disc feel your pain and did not "screw up" without a fight. That's why the footage made it into the set as bonus material. Although a mastering glitch in "The Celebrity Next Door" still managed to eliminate the key strawberry reference plot point contained in that cut footage.
I don't get why CBS/P did that, though... there were plenty of fragments from 16mm masters inserted into I Love Lucy episodes, and they looked decent enough, especially for DVD quality.
After doing such a great job with the main series, I don't see why CBS/P decided to screw the pooch with the final release. In cases like these, sometimes a minor drop in picture quality is worth it for complete episodes. I mean, it's not like they were pulling the missing pieces off of VHS tapes.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
classictvfan91 said:
I would like to see I Love Lucy on Blu-Ray, with all 179 episodes, 13 specials, the pilot, and "I Love Lucy: The Movie" in 1080p HD and unedited.
How come you only want 179 episodes instead of all 180?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Only if they recompose the image to widescreen, remix the sound into 5.1 and colorize selected episodes.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The comedy hour was syndicated here in Chicago back in the mid 70s. The show came back into syndication as specials. I also remember when it aired every summer back in the early 60s.
I had the missing footage when the Comedy Hour came back as specials introduced by some Hollwood star back in the late 80s. I recorded it on my Beta machine. I also had all the missing footage from the first comedy hour with comercials. Desi was showing us a new Ford as I recall. I want the missing Santa suites from season 2. I would like all the footage restored. I bought the entire series in VHS from Columbia House where it sits in my basement never to be looked at again. I also bought each of the comedy hours at 20 bucks each on vhs. I wish they would restore Lucy and Ricky visit to Make Room For Daddy. The visit was after Danny and family had visited Lucy and Ricky. I have the show which I bought from a discount store some years back. I cannot remember the company which is giving us more color and the Santa Suits plus other things.
The show is a classic and should receive the best efforts the studio can do for it. I do not mind buying the series again for the 3rd time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks