What's new

I LOVE LUCY 7th, 8th, and 9th season (1 Viewer)

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Has anyone found out any news about the I Love Lucy Movie that is suppose to be included with this set?? I read on one website, I believe it was the Lucy fan site, that they had no intentions of releasing this movie. Am I missing something here? I was really looking foward to the movie also being included. I also talked to another person, who said that they didn't even know that it would be included and didn't see it down as an added bonus. Now I read on some sites that sais that it will be included, possibly hear say and others saying that they had no intentions of releasing this movie, yet. I guess we will just have to wait and see if they add it or not!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I have a feeling the movie will be released with an I Love Lucy Complete Series boxed set. I read a newspaper article that they are releasing one.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
I was able to get a copy early. and I just browsed through the discs and I did not see the I love Lucy movie "extra" footage as a bonus / extra. I will check more carefully tonight.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I am sure the movie will be saved until MORE THINGS are discovered, and will make another set of undiscovered footage from "I LOVE LUCY". There must be more or they would have added the "I LOVE LUCY" movie to this set. Something is up...........

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
The reason the movie is not included is because the lawyers got involved. Someone realized that since the movie was never actually released (it was shelved back in the fifties ... just like "Don Juan" :) ) there was no legal paperwork (contracts, etc.) associated with it. They are still planning to release it to DVD, but couldn't get the legalities straightened out in time for this set. The consolation is that the legal department was able to clear the Westinghouse presentation film for the set, which originally was not planned.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
They better not even THINK of making the movie or other things available ONLY by buying another "complete series" set. I have no intention of doing that.

And that kind of marketing trick only discourages people from buying season sets of shows, thinking they better hold off for the complete series, as there might be some bonus extras on it --- but then if season set sales drop, the companies will think there isn't any interest in the series -- and they'll stop releasing season sets -- and there won't ever BE a complete series set -- and the whole thing is a mess ----------

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The review says that all of the shows except for the first one have the "Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" opening. I hope they don't use the "Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" prints, which were slightly shortened, and had the commercial breaks in different places, with new music cues.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Wasn't that old WESTINGHOUSE thing on a old VHS public domain release some years back ?? If I remember and if it is the same one, it is nothing really that exciting to see. I would rather they included the LUCY DESI appearances on "MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY"/"DANNY THOMAS" show. Didn't they both appear on two episodes as LUCY and RICKY after Danny and family were on "LUCY/DESI comedy hour" ?? The westinghouse special was about new products and it was not really that exciting. It has been at LEAST 10-12 years ago I saw it......

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Trust me when I say that this release of I LOVE LUCY was a labor of love done by the truest of all Lucy fans who, if they had their way, would have released the movie, all the Betty Furness Westinghouse ads, all of Lucy's "make-good" appearances on her guest stars' shows and more. But Viacom doesn't own "Make Room for Daddy," there were legal issues with the movie and much of the "lost" footage from the network run was deemed not up to par visually to be re-inserted into the actual shows.

On the last point, I totally agree. Most of the lost footage can be found in the bonus materials and true Lucy fans can see it there. But the viewer, especially the casual viewer who is watching the show as entertainment and not as a historical artifact, would be drawn out of the comedy if the print quality suddenly plummeted for a line here and a line there. I know they did this for a few early season episodes, but the dropoff in quality would have been a bit more drastic here and for longer stretches at a time.

These shows may not represent I LOVE LUCY at its pinnacle, but purely as a DVD product, this set may be the best yet thanks to the passion of those involved who culled the archives and their own collections to share many rare bits of advertising and promotion not seen in nearly 50 years.

I urge every Lucy fan to buy this set for yourselves and as gifts to others in order to send a message to Paramount that THE LUCY SHOW deserves similar treatment on DVD.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Rob, I'm in complete agreement. Just reading the available reviews and also watching the sets already out, I believe that I Love Lucy is probably the best DVD release of a classic TV series yet. I'm sure everything that could've been included is included. It's my hope though that they don't plan on making the ILL movie a bonus for the eventual Complete Series set, if one's in the making. It should just be a straight repackaging. It would be great if the movie could get a separate release along with any other scraps of miscellaneous footage they could add, and perhaps the rest of the My Favorite Husband shows.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I don't agree that inconsistent print quality is a greater evil than having incomplete shows. But I thank the producers of the sets for the attention that they give to these sets.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

Well, Jay, you and I (everyone else on this forum) are collectors, so, yes, we'd like to see the footage reincorporated into the shows. But as entertainment for the masses, especially families and those who are more casual in their appreciation of this stuff, putting the very ragged-looking trims in the bonus section strikes a reasonable compromise. Remember, if you're watching these shows for the first time, hopefully you're getting lost in the storyline and the comedy and to be dragged back to reality by seeing a sudden, drastic switch in the print quality does materially harm the spell the shows are trying to weave. It's a tough call. My regret is that the negatives in the first place.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Forty years ago, I audio taped the 13 hour shows the last summer they ran on CBS.

A few years ago, I video taped the 13 hour shows when they ran on Nick at Night. I was surprised (and pleased) to see there were little pieces of dialogue in them that weren't on my audio tapes.

I did NOT notice any drop in quality at those moments. Frankly, I'm rather confused now as to just what will be in and not in the DVD versions. But I'll soon find out. It's a shame that only the first one, and not the other twelve, was restored to its original network completeness (if that's a word.) I'm thinking of the old expression, "where there's a will, there's a way."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks