What's new

I LOVE LUCY 7th, 8th, and 9th season (1 Viewer)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The extras disc should definitely be made available separately for people who want it. But I'm not surprised that they've done this. They're just trying to get more people to buy it. I'm in an odd position as I never got started buying the individual seasons because they screwed up the first season by originally releasing them in separate volumes, then thrown together in a haphazard box and them finally done properly. Subsequent seasons seems to be plagued with bugs so I never got those either. Then when it became obvious there was going to be a complete series box I simply waited and am glad that I did as I can get all of this at once.

What I don't understand is why is the first season just now being remastered ? Why wasn't it done for the original first season box ?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
On the bright side:

I haven't seen the inside of The I Love Lucy Complete Series DVD set yet, but if its anything like the Complete Brady Bunch set, I'll be keeping my individual season sets because at least they come in sturdy attractive cases, while the complete series discs for the brady bunch are stored in a flimsy cardboard flower-shaped sleeves contraption that can potentially scratch the discs.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Disgusting that they include the ILL movie in the box set.
They left it out of the LAST SET, shows another tactic of Paramount milking the customer.
I say bombard PARAMOUNT with phone calls !!!!

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator
I say they Release the COMPLETE BOX SETs of TV shows first only for a limited time for the Die hard fans THEN do the REGULAR versions for the people who don't want the whole thing.....

ALSO what is PARAMOUNTS E-mail!?!?!?!?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If a series set didn't sell, they would have spent much more money on producing it than if they only did one season that fails. Granted, I Love Lucy is a pretty sure thing but that's why you don't generally see series sets first and usually series sets are just repackagings that studios use to make more money off of their existing product.

CIULLOCAMNY

Agent
Real Name
CHRIS
Not sure if it's been posted yet, and pardon me if it has, but has anyone recognized that a piece of laugh-track is missing from the Lucy Goes to Mexico episode? I just got a chance earlier today to crack open this set and found that the scene where Lucy and Ethel haggle with Vito Scotti to buy a rare genuine basket is missing the laughter. Basically it's the start of that segment from fade-up to the fade-out. Is there a replacement disc available thru Paramount ? I know that Paramount has been reliable as far as replacement discs for the earlier seasons and for the Andy Griffith no laugh-track replacements. Just wondering if they'll make good for this one.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
FROM WHAT I HAVE JUST READ ON ONE WEBSITE THE I LOVE LUCY MOVIE WILL BE INCLUDED WITH THIS SET AND OTHER WEBSITES SAY MAYBE SO I AM SOOOO CURIOUS ON THIS..

PLUS I WOULD ALSO LIKE PARAMOUNTS NUMBER SO PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS IT POST IT UP, I HAVE SONY'S AND WARNER BROS AND SO IT SHOULD NOT BE DIFICULT TO GET PARAMOUNTS INFO BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE TO CALL THEM OR EMAIL ABOUT THIS!

IF THEY ARE INCLUDING THE MOVIE WITH THE SET THEY SHOULD ALSO MAKE A SEPERATE DISC FOR FANS TO BUY INSTEAD OF HAVING TO BUY THIS COMPLETE SERIES JUST TO GET THE MOVIE :frowning: ANYWAY PLEASE SEND PARAMOUNTS EMAIL OR PHONE NUMBER ANYONE WHO HAS IT OR CAN GET IT. THANKS!:angry:

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
WELL ANOTHER WIERD THING THAT I AM CONFUESED ABOUT IS THE LAST TIME I CHECKED AMAZON IT SAID THE COMPLETE SERIES WILL COME WITH ONLY 1 DISC (IN THE DESCRRIPTION) ???? THIS I AM CURIOUS ABOUT BECAUSE HOW CAN 1 DISC HOLD 179 EPISODES, LOL!?! UMM NOT EVEN INCLUDING THE LUCY-DESI COMEDY HOURS

SO WHEN I CHECKED THE DESCRIPTION ON THE OTHER OLDER SET SEASON 1-6 COMPLETE SERIES IT SAIS 6 DISCS. OF COURSE WHEN I BOUGHT MY SET ONE AT A TIME PER SEASON EACH SEASON WOULD CONTAIN 6-8 DISCS TOTAL TO EACH SEASON SO I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS AN ERROR OR WHAT BUT THAT IS WHAT IT SAIS WITH AMAZON'S WEBSITE..

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Yes, and it was strange, because it seemed less funny without the laugh track.

It makes you wonder how these things happen. Where did they even get the film as it existed before the laugh track was added? And why was it only part of the episode, and not the whole episode? And why didn't they notice?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
It's the same thing as The Brady Bunch dvd episodes that don't have the final cast boxes before the tag scenes. Where would Paramount get those prints from?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
With regard to entire series box sets being released first, while that would be stupendous and delightful it's likely going to be a very rare thing. Why on earth would any studio go to the trouble of compiling and remastering an entire series and getting music rights for a show that they don't even know will sell ? Thankfully ILL has sold well enough that there is now going to be a complete series set for those who want it. But like so many other classic series on DVD, this one could easily have come out and tanked.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Don't worry fans! When ILL comes out in HD you can show the studios whose boss when you wait for The Complete Series Box and get everything at once.

It will be interesting what the studios do with the HD format. I think most fans who go to replace their sets will not support Individual Season Sets because they've already been screwed by the studios.

You know some rare film element will show up which everyone will want. I find it hard to believe the buying public will fall for the same marketing ploys twice.

Although Star Trek TOS is getting a Season 1 set. Wonder how it will sell...

CIULLOCAMNY

Agent
Real Name
CHRIS
Sometimes if no other footage is available - and I find it hard to believe - there are prints used that are called NETWORK TEST PRINTS. These are the actual segments used for the show but in the raw. I used to own a 16mm test print of the original pilot for Hogan's Heroes. It was a FULL 30 minutes and that's not including time for commercials. And it did NOT have a laugh track. Eventually, the Network (CBS) cut it down a little for it's original airing and of course the subsequent syndication airings, and the laugh track put in. So, it's possible that TEST PRINT footage was used for the Lucy, Brady and Andy Griffith DVDees. Like I said before it bewilders me that the distributor(s) can't find the other footage, considering that the Columbia House Videos clearly have it. So where did they get the prints for the release of those tapes ? HMMM !
Also, and don't quote me on this - I heard it and read it somewhere - the other thing about laugh tracks and it's noticeable on the Abbott & Costello TV shows and Amos N Andy. The shows are obviously filmed without a studio audience. So the studio would gather in people to a theater and make them sit through an episode and record thier reactions of laughter. They would then re-record the laughter into the exisiting soundtrack of the film and there you have the finished product. And if you ever wondered why you sometimes hear a faint echo in these films, it's because when recording the audience reaction, it's obviously picking up the audio from the film in the ambient theater sound as well. In some of the episodes of Lucy Desi comedy hour they obviously had to do this - especially in any outdoor scenes. So this could be one of those instances.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

Any thoughts on this? Will people be buying the Individuazl season sets again only to be screwed when some rare extra turns up in TheComplete Series HD box set? Or have we learned our lesson?

What do you think? Have the studios killed individual season sets for whatever new format is released?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
No way. People will continue to buy sets as they're released. The few people (due to the high price tag) interested in the Star Trek HD DVDs aren't waiting for a series set and that's nearly certain to happen.

CIULLOCAMNY

Agent
Real Name
CHRIS
Since everyone seems to be on the subject of classic TV shows to be shown in HD, not sure if anyone has mentioned this but, if anyone has Directv, HOGAN'S HEROES is airing in HD on the HDNet Channel. 2 episodes back to back without commercial interruption - except between episodes- full and uncut. 8am everyday. Not sure if HDNet is available elsewhere.

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator
I HAVE A QUESTION: Is it possible to make old shows into HD???? How would they bring the picture quality up that high??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks