What's new

I love Blackadder!! (1 Viewer)

Huw Williams

Agent
[Blackadder is interrogating Captain Darling who is suspected of being a German spy]
Captain Darling: I'm as British as Queen Victoria!
Edmund Blackadder: So your father's German, you're half German, and you married a German!
---------------------------------------
Lieutenant George: The war started because of the vile Hun and his villainous empire-building.
Edmund Blackadder: George, the British Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganyika. I hardly think that we can be entirely absolved of blame on the imperialistic front.
Lieutenant George: Oh, no, sir, absolutely not. [Aside, to Baldrick] Mad as a bicycle!
---------------------------------------
Fantastic stuff!
------------------
UK Members: - Want to organise a meet? Goto -
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000284.html
[Edited last by Huw Williams on November 09, 2001 at 08:10 AM]

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Do Americans even understand the humour?
No idea what in the HELL you're taking about.
patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
My wife and I LOVE this show! It's interesting to see how the characters evolved over the seasons. In season 1, Blackadder's face was always screwed up into a smirk and his voice was much whinier and supplicating. Later, he was less annoying and more annoyed by others. Baldrick started out more sinister and got dumber and dumber with each season.
"I...have a cunning plan!"
I love the abuse that is heaped on Baldrick in the Christmas episode!

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I do not like the 1st season at all because Blackadder is a moron just like everyone else, but 2-4 are some of the funniest things I've ever seen. :) The DVDs are great.
"Here lies Edmund Blackadder and he's BLOODY ANNOYED"
Gregory

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Blackadder is wonderful! I loved the episode with the discovery of the potato.
And of course the song that concludes every episode.
:)
-Max

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
'Once more my way is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd.'
'So you've taken a vow of silence; how interesting. Do tell me about it.'
'Thank you, Darling.'
'two silly bulls?'

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
This is some of the funniest stuff ever. Rowan Atkinson is a comic genious. For those who haven't had the pleasure, Mr. Bean (the series, not that hideous movie), and The Thin Blue Line are also great fun.
Thom "Sausage Time" B.
"I'm as happy as a Frenchman who has just invented a pair of self-removing trousers!"

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Do Americans even understand the humour?
Huw,
I'll ignore that remark. And my Welsh heritage on my father's side will also let you slide (although you might also raise the ire of my ancestor, Guy Fawkes, and cause me to do something about your remarks - after all, it is November!)
laugh.gif

Seriously, some of us Colonists absolutely love Blackadder. Keep sending us the good stuff, but keep Dame Edna on the other side of the pond!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I love Blackadder, including the first series. I suppose it helps that I have an interest in the period and love the idea of an entire invented reign sandwiched in between Richard III and the first Tudor. The later incarnations are even funnier.
General: I've been trying to think of what I could do to improve the mens' morale.
Capt. Blackadder: Your resignation and suicide spring to mind.
Regards,
Joe

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Robert - erm, Dame Edna/Barry Humphreys is Australian. I know that you guys have a problem with distinguishing between a Cockney and an Australian accent, but really ...

Huw Williams

Agent
I'm sorry Robert, I wasn't to annoy you! I'm sorry. I was just trying to get an idea of what Americans thought of British comedy.
What part of Wales do you know? It's only a small place, so I'd probably know the area
Oh yeah, Dame Edna is from Down Under. Andrew was quicker off the mark

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My dad studied in Aberystwyth (sp?) in the early 50's on a Fullbright. I, myself, have never been there, unfortunately. Dad was fluent in and taught Welsh (and 30 other languages) for many years at NYU and Columbia. He was also the President of the St. David's Society in NY for many terms. My Welsh roots run deep (although the only Welsh I speak are a couple of cuss-words).
And yes, gang, I knew Dame Edna was an Aussie, I was doing a tongue-in-cheek thing to indicate that not everything that PBS shows us (via non-USA sources) is my cup of tea. The wag suggesting I was "stupid" was a bit off the mark.
Maybe I should have said "Benny Hill?"
laugh.gif

------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I love Blackadder very much. I was lucky enough to see them as they came out on TV, so the first series didn't have to be compared then with its even better (more developed) sequels.
The first was actually a Shakespeare spoof and you have to know several of the King's plays to fully appreciate some of the fun.
Like Joseph, I have an interest in the historical period (I, for instance, belong to the group 'historians' who think Richard III didn't murder his nephews in the Tower - Henry VII did, he had a strong reason to, while Richard had not, and Henry was that kind of villain; unfortunately for Richard he didn't live to tell the story - or even couldn't show he wasn't a hunchback at all - nor had he descendents like Elizabeth I to assure that people like Shakespeare would tell the events his way, etc.) which makes it even more pleasure.
But here's my guilty pleasure: I like Benny Hill. If you want to see it, there are some language gems in his shows. Here's one of my favourites:
Benny Hill (posing as a quiz-master): "What is the difference between a Vitamine and a Hormone?"
Quiz-person: "???"
Benny Hill (teaching tone, obliquely looking at TV-viewer, absolutely correct answer): "You can't make a Vita min."
(sorry for me having to punctuate the joke)
As far as I know Benny Hill invented the now famous Uranus pun (Sophisticated newsman: And is that to find Uranium? Benny: With that on he can't even find his feet.). Now mainly known as in "Keep the Earth clean, after all it's not Uranus".
Oh, well.
Cees
[Edited last by Cees Alons on November 11, 2001 at 05:31 AM]

Huw Williams

Agent
Aber is only about 45 miles to the West of me. The town is quite nice with a large student population. I have a few friends at university there too.
What British programs do you actually get in the USA? Are they well regarded?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Cees, okay, maybe I was slightly harsh on Benny Hill. I find about 10 per cent of his stuff very funny indeed. Unfortunately, that leaves the other 90 per cent ...
Returning to topic, I agree that the first series of Blackadder does require a decent knowledge of Shakespeare to appreciate the humour. However, it's also true to say that a decent knowledge of history is needed for series 2,3, and 4. They are of course perfectly intelligible without this knowledge, but there are a host of in-jokes awaiting anyone with some historical knowledge.
[Edited last by andrew markworthy on November 11, 2001 at 01:38 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks