What's new

I know somone on here can beat this. (1 Viewer)

After reading thread after thread on here I have noticed a trend. Someone will find a product they are interested in and another member always has a better option for the money. So tell me, what do you guys think.....

I started out wanting to pick up a HTIB. I went to CC and BB and walked away very disapointed by what I heard. I have decided that it is almost ignorant to go any route other than seperates. Wether its a 400$ system or whatever the most expensive HTIB is.

I have set the budget at 1000$ and I have already picked out my reciever and DVD player which came to 420$(I had 500$ dedicated to them in the budget)

After another trip to the electronic stores today I have decided on a setup from Sony(I never would have pictured this).

Mains -- SS-MF605H (159$ pair)
Rears -- SS-MB350H (75$ pair)
Sub -- SA-WM40 (125$)
Center -- Undecided

so that leaves me 141 for the center chanel. What kind of advice/ changes would you guys make.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
It is generally a good practice to balance the front soundstage - mains and center. Since you have decided on the Sony's for the fronts, what have they to offer in the same series as the fronts for the center channel? If there are a couple, then listen to both and then go with the one you like within your price range.

If you get a center channel speaker that is too different (sensitivity etc) than your fronts, then you will probably find it will sound overly 'out front', or will fade away from the fronts, depending on the specs.

If the fronts you have chosen are set up in the shop for demo, then have them swap a few centers for you and listen for yourself. Pay attention to sounds that pan across the front from left to right (or vice versa), and dialog.

In the end it's really what sounds best to you....

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Well Aaron,

The only thing I can say is that there are better options
than Sony. Japaneese Electronics companies are not known
for thier speaker building experiance. And while there are
some rare exceptions (Pioneer's TAD division for example)
they are rarely in the realm of "affordable".

My opinion would be to check out some of the following and
you will be under the $500.00 allocation for speakers.

Acoustic Research HC-6

This package from AR comes with a powered 8" sub that for
most smaller sized areas will provide decent bass capability
or since you will be spending less than the budget you can
still add the Sony SA-WM40 which is a very decent 12" sub.

The AR HC-6 system comes with 4 Satelites and a Center Channel.
They are all finished in a gorgeous Piano Black Laquer Finish
and are supplied with White Gloves. They have recieved rave
reviews from users on this forum and professional reviewers.

Check out www.acoustic-research for more information on the
Satelites and what drivers they use. Then go over to Ebay
and you can purchase the set from AR who is auctioning them
on Ebay for reasonable prices.

Another option is to go with a JBL NSP1 Package and add the
Sony SAWM-40 Subwoofer. Phil Ittralude (Sp?) is the resident
JBL Expert and he will probably chime in here with pertinent
information. JBL produces a VERY high quality product at
very reasonable prices and the NSP1 has also gotten many
rave reviews.

Those are my two best options for $500.00 I am sure other's
will chime in with some other very good options as well!

Good Luck and let us know how you make out!

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I agree with what Brett said....the only other speaker package that comes to mind that alot of people like is the Energy Take 5(http://www.energy-speakers.com).
This package seems very popular as well as the JBL for people on a budget.
Take a look at the AR's, JBL, and Energy and see what gives you the most bang for the money.

Alan M

Second Unit
I agree with Brett and Chad,sony speakers arent your best option for speakers.Either of the aformentioned speaker packages are good.You might also check out the fluance sx-htb system which is an excellent value for those on a budget.
www.fluance.com
Good luck and happy speaker shopping.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Aaron:

I also agree with all the above mentioned brands to check out along with the Fluance 5-speaker package. It is very impressive at it's price point.

I purchased the Fluance speaker package for my Nephew and was litterly quite dumb founded at the sound this speaker system produced at it's price point. State of the art sound, (NO) but far exceeded my expectation on all accounts. Build, look, sound, given their price.

You do need a seperate sub for movies and the Sony-40, (Audio Source-15~very large sub), or the new Sony-500 sub all do very well at their price point. These subs are favorites here for many intering the HT world on a budget.
The (Sony-500 12" sub) is a replacment for the discontinued Sony-40 12" sub.
No reviews are out for it as of yet that I have seen or heard.
The Sony-500 sub has little more power and a bit more attricive look, this is what I noticed from just a quick look at it on the net.
I suspect it will sound and perform similar to the Sony-40.

The Fluance speaker package has smaller towers up front (around 36" or so if I remember their height correctly), where as the other producs require stands and are much small bookshelf type speakers. Just something to think about.
At their price point, Fluance (around 200.00 for all 5 speakers in the package), very tuff to beat and sound surprisingly good.

You could also just purchase the Fluance towers that come in the package seperatly all round and add the center for just a few dollars more.
They are sold internet direct and a few dealers sell at Ebay where you might get a better deal with some patients.

Much out their to look & listen to and the new Sonys you mentioned are said to not sound all that bad. This is speaking to the price point it serves.

Good luck and take your time. Listen to ~{all the brands & models}~ that you can, unfortuanatly the Fuance speakers are internet sold only I belive, but many reviews are available to read here at HTF and on the net. Do a search for Fluance).
I've yet to read anything seriously negative about them at their price point. Considered an excellent value by those who have heard them.

Best of luck in you quest.;)
Geoff

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Also, you may want to check and see if Circuit City or any online vendors are running one of the frequent Polk sales. You can often get some of their more entry level 5.1 packages for ~$299+. You will also have the option of using the prices of the speakers in the package as credit to upgrade to larger models within one year. I'd recommend getting the best 5.1 system from Polk you could then piece by piece upgrade as you see fit/have money.

Remember though, get what sounds good to you. All the suggestions so far are very good. Out of curiostiy, what DVD players and recievers are you looking at?

WOW I cant believe I got this much of a response. Thank you guys so much for taking time to help me!

Im on take 5's site checking things out and im a bit confused. It shows the 4 sats, a center and a sub in the pic, then at the bottom it says "Energy recommends a S8.2 subwoofer to complete the system." Yet in this pic it shows the S8.2 with the rest of the speakers.

see here.....
http://www.energy-speakers.com/take5...rs_system.html

so what gives? Does the sub have to be purchased seperatly?

jason willder

Stunt Coordinator
Check Harman Audios website. I Have two pair of speakers from them that were listed as remanufactured.I don't think they were, I think they were just closeouts. Anyway they have the full warranty and they work great. I also bought a couple of amps from them and have been very pleased.I noticed several sets on there.

Tim Schwartz

Agent
You can also get the Acoustic Research HC-6 from Accessories4less.com for $500 with free shipping. They are based out of Orlando, FL. I'm typically pretty skeptical about online retailers, but I ordered a clearanced Marantz mini system and it was delivered 2 days later just as promised. They are an authorized Marantz retailer so that says something. Good Luck.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I also ordered all My Acoustic Research Hi Res speakers from accessories4less(4 sepereate orders) and didn't have a single problem. Great service and people to work with.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I have also dealt with A4L no complaints..

They have some hellatiously low prices on the Hi-Res line
or I should say whatever is left of them. Most of the
Hi-Res has been completelty exhausted for a while now. Try
and find a set of new AR9's :) better yet, try and find an
ARS-500! Good luck!

If it were me.. I would go with the HC6 and add an SAWM-20
but that's me... I think the HC6's look just plain gorgeous
and they sound very good for small satelites. I know the
JBL stuff sounds great I just don't care for the apearance
of the NSP1's (that just me though..)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I've also listened to the AR-6 small pianio black finish speaker set with a Velo CHT-15 on them when they were first released!

Also listened with it's matching AR sub.
Both times tey were being feed by an H/K 520-AV Receiver and H/K-DVD player.

I must admit, (like Brett our HTF AR-authority), they did sound very good. I would not recomend them for a "large room", but in a smaller to med size room they are very impressive,,,, and that beautiful (eye candy) black gloss finish certainly dose not hurt.

Pro & user reviews seem to back up what my ears heard and must say for their size, again quite impressive.

Important:
If your looking for referance volume in a med to large room go another way! But at lower to moderate volumes (plenty loud for most) in a med to small room!
I doubt one would be disappoited, even when running their small and quite impressive matching little high gloss black sub......

Would be an excellent entry level speaker system, IMHO....

Do rememeber you are going to need ~{speaker stands}~ unlees you plan to wall mount your mains & surrounds. This will add some to your cash out lay.

Best of luck in your speaker quest!

Regards
Geoff

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I am (as usual) in 100% agreement with Geoff. If any of
your choices are going to be used in a large room then
small satelites won't cut it, no matter who makes them.

The JBL NSP1's won't even fill a VERY large room with
reference levels. Heck M&K's MP Series (think Bose Cubes
that really make music) wouldn't cut it in a 30' x 20' room.

But if you have an agerage sized room the HC6's or the
Energy Take-5's or the NSP1's or similar small satelites
will provide you with more than enough output of sound.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Aaron

In that size room most all the for mentioned speaker sets will have no problem filling it with plenty of volume.

Also being what appears to be an in-closed room, this will help your sub allot in the fact that your not leaking spl out to fill other non HT room areas.

Being nearly a square room though, sub placement for best freq responce results might be little tricky.
An ~{SPL meter and cali disc}~ will go along way in finding the best placement for the least amount of room induced bass cancelation at the "listen position".

Cheers
Geoff

I think im going to go with the Energy Take 5.2. My buddy just got the Take 5 for 300$ and they sounded good in his apt. So I feel comfortable buying the 5.2's without hearing them. Im still going to try to hear some others if at all possiable but atleast I know I have somthing to fall back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks