What's new

I know it's only a rumor, but.....Genesis reformed?? (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'd better get with it and renew my passport. If the classic Genesis lineup does reform for a show (or shows), I will fly anywhere and pay anything to see them.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If I didn't have a newborn being fed by the wife right now, I'd be on that plane right beside you. Oh well, I guess I'll settle for the inevitable DVD (should this highly unlikely reunion ever happen). Of course, Gabriel recently said he'd turned down a "substantial amount of money" for a reunion--not because he's holding out for more, but because he's not interested (if we take his word for it). So maybe this call to Hackett was before Gabriel turned down the idea.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

Or the reunion, if it happens at all, will only involve Banks, Collins, Hackett and Rutherford.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Danny, that wouldn't be too shabby, would it? We're talking about the band line-up that produced Wind and Wuthering and Trick of the Tail.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

Not at all, Andrew. This lineup has a much higher chance of being regrouped for a reunion than one with Peter Gabriel. Get Chester and Daryl involved and you'll have a full band. Do some shows in London/New York, drop in a song or two from GTR or Mike and The mechanics for fun, film/record it, and that would pretty much put the reunion thing to rest.

Of course, this would mean Phil being the frontman for the group, which he doesn't want to be.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
This is why the reunion will never happen. Phil just wants to play drums. Peter doesn't want to do it (and even if he did, how happy would Mike and Tony be going back to just the first quarter of their career--it would be like the Stones never performing anything they wrote after 1970). If I had any influence in the music world, I'd suggest the following:

Apart from Steve Hackett (I simply don't know), the others have expressed, to varying degrees, interests in a number of charities. I would appeal to them from that angle. I'd propose short (10 locations) tour (with perhaps 3-4 nights at each location--more shows for fans, less travel for the band). I'd let each band member choose 2-3 tunes from the Genesis repertoire they'd like to do, plus 1-2 from their own. That way, everyone gets to do something they like, everyone gets to do something of their own, a DVD is filmed of the concert (with all the extras, of course) and they can donate each of their shares to the charity of their choice. It's a one-off (no neverending tours), it's for a good cause, it's still early enough that they can actually do it (in another decade or so, I'm not so sure--the Stones notwithstanding) and it should satisfy (to some extent) everyone. Anyway, that's how I'd do it.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure I'd want to see Peter Gabriel being frontman again. The PG of that era relied to some degree on his youth. PG has, I think to his great credit, allowed himself to age naturally. I mean this with the greatest of respect, but he looks his age - he's healthy and trim and he looks a lot better than most of his age group, but he isn't vainly trying to impersonate someone thirty years younger. Could you really see the PG of today in a red dress and a fox mask? I also really couldn't see PG tackling a lot of later Genesis material, because they are structured around Phil Collins's personality. Whilst I could imagine PG doing a very passable Hold on to My Heart, could you really face him singing I Can't Dance?

I think Danny's idea of (basically) a History of Genesis and Side Projects would work. Perhaps the concert could be split over two nights, and then released as a mega-sized DVD box set.

Well, we can dream, can't we? ;)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
OK, this bit of news is on the forums of every official website of Genesis, Phil Collins, and Peter Gabriel....

Anyone caught the TV entertainment news/gossip show "Extra" where Peter Gabriel was interviewed recently? When asked about a possible Genesis reunion, PG said he will meet with the other members of the group and talk about it.

Can anyone confirm this?

Also, anyone has a link to the recent CNN interview with Phil and Mike about "The Video Show" DVD? Of course, the possibility of a reunion was asked.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
This just in! Glaciers have appeared on the outskirts of Hell and are beginning to press inward toward that flaming domain's center! More news as events warrant.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
In the meantime, here's recent Phil Collins interview about Genesis....possible reunion....various members of Genesis....not able to play 70s Genesis drum parts....Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame....various songs.....

Interesting read

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
While I'd be very curious to see what they might come up with in terms of new material, it would be a HUGE disappointment if these guys tour and we don't get a bunch of the classics.

Chris

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I think IF (and it's a mighty big IF), they do this, then they'd probably include a few chestnuts, but I think Peter Gabriel, especially, doesn't want it to be a "greatest hits" tour like the Eagles (which I enjoyed at the concert back in March in Montreal, so I'm not necessarily knocking "greatest hits" tours) are doing. He has been gone for 30 years now, so I can understand his point of view (you don't even get many old Peter Gabriel songs at a Gabriel concert).

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised to see in my local newspaper today similar news to all this. San Jose Mercury News... Keeping my fingers crossed.

I guess one question if Peter is on board, would they do any post Peter Gabriel material? I'd imagine they'd have to. But hopefully nothing after "Genesis". Keep it limited to the good stuff. ;)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Just within the last 3 days, we have both Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel saying they are up for the reunion....if everything is worked out right. This is a good sign. At the very least, PG is consider doing it.

I think if PG is onboard, Steve Hackett will do the reunion as well.

So what about Banks and Rutherford?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I can't imagine they wouldn't be on board if Peter & Phil are. And I don't think P & P would even consider doing it without Mike & Tony. Mike & Tony ARE Genesis.

Heck, they should talk to Ant too!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks