1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

I just watched RUDY for about the 20th time!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Tolsky, Oct 6, 2001.

1. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Well-Known Member

For anyone that has never seen this movie, I beg you to at least rent it. Not only is it (IMHO) probably the best sports movie ever made, it may be one of the best American movies period. Very few movies have the heart and soul that this one has, with a very definate underlying theme of believing in your dreams and following the path to success.
    Also, if you are a Jerry Goldsmith fan, this movie has to be in your collection as it ranks right up there as one of his best scores, a perfect marriage of story and music.
    The disc has been discounted recently, to about $15 or less, at least in my Best Buy store. It is an anamorphic transfer that looks wonderful, with 5.1 surround, and some nice extras including an interview with the real Rudy. This movie and Field of Dreams are probably my #1 and #2 sports movies of all time.

2. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Well-Known Member

Brian
    Must not speak......
    Must keep quite.....
    But it's so hard to not say anything.......
    Personally I thought this was one of the absolute single wors........ No I'll be good and shut up. [​IMG]

3. Brian Lawrence

Brian
    I'm keeping quiet [​IMG]

4. Brian Lawrence

Brian
    I don't know how much longer I can keep it in [​IMG]

5. Brian Lawrence

Brian
    [​IMG]

6. Brent Cantrell

Brent Cantrell Well-Known Member

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

I've got to agree. I'm not an emotional kind of guy. But it's very, very hard to wish the title character anything but success. It's no piece of cinematic art, but it tells a damned good story. It may fall under the underdog cliché, but it's a real standout in the field.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Preorders
    My Wishlist

8. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Well-Known Member

Geez Brian, I think you made your point. [​IMG]
    Personally, I think Rudy is a fantastic movie; and better yet, it is a great DVD. Nice transfer, extras, etc. It is inexpensive to boot (got mine for $12.99 at Sam's Club).
    The reason this movie is so cool is that it is all true. "Rudy" did exist, and all of the major events in the movie really happened to the real person. The real Rudy is now a motivational speaker. He came to my highschool and spoke around the time that the movie came out. Personally, I think the movie is very inspirational. I tried to adopt the same philosophy in my sports attitude as Rudy. I wish more student athletes had even half the drive as this fine individual.
    Let's not get all carried away and say that this is hokey, if that's what you were getting at.

9. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Well-Known Member

John Williamson
    I agree completly. I've always loved this movie, and bought the dvd as soon as it came out earlier this year. The thing that holds this film together is the endearing performance by Sean Astin, it's a star making role, and it's a shame that he didn't go further, but we can all look forward to see him in 'Lord of the Rings'.
    I second the mention about Jerry Goldsmith's score, it's simply wonderful, and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the dedicated music only track on this disc, it's a feature that's not used nearly enough IMO.
    I don't know about you but the scene that gets to me the most is when Rudy sits down on the bench in front of the lake to open the final letter, and as he's reading it silently, he start's crying, man, what a scene.
    I will be the first to admit that I AM the kind of guy who gets emotional during movies, but only when they're done as well as 'Rudy'.
    As a sidenote, did anyne else notice that that isn't Sean Astin they're holding up on the cover of the dvd?
    ------------------
    God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

10. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Well-Known Member

Tina
    Yes, all of my HTF brothers, I could not agree with any of you more.
    And as yoru fellow HTF sister, let me say that...
    ...when I was buying a bunch of cleaning products to be used in the home, I saw this title amongst a host of other DVD's in the vicinity at a locar Target store.
    Needless to say, I took one look at this one, saw the price tag--recued to $15.00--and, fresh from cashing my check at the bank next door, threw it in with the rest of my shopping items.
    This one I always enjoyed. And now, on DVD, I came to enjoy this one even more.
    My recent flurry of home theater improvements really stand out in this presentation, adding to that enjoyment.
    And yes, I wept throughout this one also. A truly great inspirational story of an individual who never stopped believing in himself, regardless of what others, in and out of his family, thought of his dreams and ambitions.
    And yes, John, I believe you when I see that the person being carried off the field at the end of that Notre Dame home game looks to be someone other than Sean Astin. Maybe it is the actual Rudy Rutager himself. The picture sure does have a retroized look for it to warrant such a suggestion.
    A DVD I am now proud to happily own in my collection--and one I promise to cherish for a time to come. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

11. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Well-Known Member

Yes, I love the scene when he is sitting down in front of the lake and gets his prized letter. But the scene that breaks me down EVERY time is Coach Dan Devine's office, when the players come in one by one and lay down their jerseys so that Rudy can dress. The coach is completely taken by surprise. Then, you see it in the coach's face, how important it is to the players that Rudy suit up for a game.
    The best thing about this movie is that it is not about football. Anybody who has ever chased an impossibe dream can relate to this. Sappy? Nah. Important, you betcha.

12. Chuck C

Chuck C Well-Known Member

We just watched Rudy Friday afternoon...amid being one of the nicest little movies around, it's a real hit with the ladies [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Chuck
    http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

13. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Well-Known Member

I was working in a movie theater at the time this movie came out. I definitely liked the movie but the thing that really amazed me about it was that I've never seen so many grown men leave a theater at the end of a film openly weeping. It's one thing to see women like that as they file out of a tear-jerking movie, but this one had the exact same effect on men, with guys coming out and wiping tears from their eyes. It was pretty remarkable [​IMG]

14. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Well-Known Member

Great movie. Buy it!!
    John

15. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Well-Known Member

I agree, good movie. Not in my DVD collection cause I grabbed it in my heart already. [​IMG]

16. John_Lee

John_Lee Well-Known Member

This movie has another historical importance. It is step one on the Jon Favreau weight loss time line.

17. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Well-Known Member

It was a good movie, not the best, but still good. I had to see it in school during are English class, since it deals with the subject we were studying. And wasn't Sean the kid from Goonies?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

18. David Coleman

David Coleman Well-Known Member

Agreed! Great film and Great Jerry Goldsmith score! Caught this one originally on cable and couldn't get enough of it. Now that it's repriced I'm definitely gonna have to get this one!
    David

19. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Well-Known Member

I remember seeing parts of this movie on FOX awhile back. Now that I got the DVD (picked it up today after reading this thread) I finally got to see the whole thing. What an incredible film. Highly recommended!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

20. David Lambert

David Lambert Well-Known Member