What's new

I just sold a single CD on Ebay for $107.50! (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Some of the now-discontinued MFSL CDs are bringing big bucks on EBay. A couple of months ago I got about $100 for Alan Parsons "I Robot", $50 for "Dark Side of the Moon", and a whopping $165 for Al Stewart "The Year Of The Cat"!!
I bought these back in the 80s when the MFSL releases were the only way to get these albums. I've replaced them with the current standard label releases for about $10 apiece. This may be blasphemy to some, but I didn't hear any difference - in fact I think the remastered "Dark Side" sounded better than the MFSL.
But I have to say $107.50 for a non-MFSL CD is amazing!!
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
HA!
I've seen that disc go for $150+ easy on ebay- and the only copy I've seen physically went for $245.
Whoever bought it got a great deal- I would have given you $100 for it no question.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, as someone who recently paid the equivalent of about $50 for a 12" single (mmm skyscraper i love you, by Underworld) I don't see what all the fuss is about
biggrin.gif

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
quote: $100 for [MFSL CD] Alan Parsons "I Robot"[/quote]The funny thing about this is that I Robot is available as a 96/24 DVD-Video disc from Classic. There is no way that even the best CD master in the world could sound as good as uncompressed 96/24 PCM. :)
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on August 03, 2001 at 07:58 AM]

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
i've sold old depeche mode singles for close to $100 (3" cds) and some aphex twin 12"s for over $100 as well.
the most money i've sold any music item for was an old original y&b parlaphone mono copy of the beatles sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band. $220 - all original with a lot of gloss and all of the inserts.
gotta love ebay.
a
------------------
visit neverville

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Alas, I'm on the other side of the equation, looking for music that was stolen from me in a burglarly at the end of June. Fortunately, there are only a few hard-to-find CDs (the Infinite Zero Gang of Four reissues are a bitch to find), but the soundtrack to "Permanent Record" (which has a bunch of Joe Strummer songs) hit $45 on one auction, which really gave me sticker shock.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Jonathan, Vince et al.:
Wow. I have a vinyl copy of the The Muppet Movie Original Soundtrack Recording in very good condition. Is there a (probably-not-as-robust) market for that?
Cheers,
Paul

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Wow. I have a vinyl copy of the The Muppet Movie Original Soundtrack Recording in very good condition. Is there a (probably-not-as-robust) market for that?
Nope- expect $10-12.
There is several completed on Ebay from the last week, I think the most they sold for was $14.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Andy W

Stunt Coordinator
As I learned not long ago, some out-of-print software can fetch a mighty high price.
Although I was not selling and will not sell, I was recently offered $500 for my copy of Mobile Fidelity's UHQR LP of the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (serial number 50 of 5,000 pressed), $300 for my UHQR LP of Cat Stevens' Tea for the Tillerman (serial number 425), and $200 for my UHQR of Supertramp's Crime of the Century (serial number 1750). That's $1,000 total for 3, count 'em, 3 vinyl LPs!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Craig S et al.:

The market for MFSL on eBay seems to have chilled. I recently searched for auctions for every one of the over 30 MFSL discs I have and, when I even found one, the sale prices were around $15. (Granted, that doesn't mean the sale price for something that there was no auction for might not garner higher bidding.) There is one particular seller who puts a "Buy It Now" price of around $45.99 on his MFSL auctions and not one of the dozen or so such auctions he was conducting for strong MFSL titles sold on a "Buy It Now" basis or closed anywhere near that price point.

Please chime in with comments if you have some supporting or contrary evidence/experience/anecdotes.

I am in the process of deciding what I'm going to do with all my MFSLs in the face of increasing SACD and DVD-Audio announcements, especially from Universal. Universal has grown by leaps and bounds through acquisitions since the heyday of MFSL. So many labels that licensed their titles to Mobile Fidelity for Ultradisc release are now part of Universal Music Group (Verve, A & M, Mercury, Geffen, Island).

Paul

(P.S. - Incidentally, I broke down and just took my vinyl Muppet Movie to Amoeba Records over in Hollywood. Parted with it for a paltry coupla bucks in store credit.)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
the most money i've sold any music item for was an old original y&b parlaphone mono copy of the beatles sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band. $220 - all original with a lot of gloss and all of the inserts.
Do you know anything about a Parlaphone edition of Revolver? I have that somewhere in my collection, don't know if it's mono but I do remember the glossy cover.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
The MFSL discs have found their way onto USEnet (newsgroups) losslessly compressed. That is probably why they don't sell as well on ebay anymore.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yeah, Seth--I second Ron's inquiry.
Although I of course need to learn more about this and appreciate your input, Seth, I've gotta say that it seems an unlikely theory to me that the availability of even uncompressed downloads of MFSL titles is responsible for the chilling of the used MFSL Ultradisc market.
I could simply be out of touch here, but the market for MFSLs seems, at least historically, driven by collectors. It seems to me that downloads fly in the face of the collectors' emphasis on having the (often unopened) physical commodity itself.
Paul

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sure I can't tell you exactly where they are (rules violation). Think lossless

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks