What's new

I just ordered a Denon DVD-3800 DVD-Audio player! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
O.K., I just read something interesting on the geocites.com website and saw it repeated on AVS Forum. Now this may only apply to the UK version of the '3800, but is says if the last four digits of the serial number for a black unit are greater than 700, you have the upgraded laser assembly. The last four digits for my player are greater than 700. Am I O.K., or does this information pertain only to the UK model? Perhaps Crutchfield has some good information on the US model and the upgraded laser assembly in saying that the last four digits should be greater than 1935. Again, the last four digits on my player are greater than 1935. Anyone?

By the way, in addition to the serial number information I got from Crutchfield, which they claim came from Denon, Crutchfield also told me that Denon has told them that the problems with the '3800 have been "grossly exaggerated" on the Internet.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I used Tan's procedure to check the firmware on my '3800. Here is what I found:

ESS 720
DRV 6193-2
ESS 6134-2
PANEL 6093-2

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Tan, thanks for posting the method to check the firmware.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith,

CONGRATULATIONS! I haven't posted in awhile but just had to chime in for this. Do let us know how the CD/DVD-A playback is, I can't way to read your review. I am still holding out for the 2900 though in June.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, yeah, I haven't seen you here in awhile. Welcome back! ;) So far, I am very pleased with the '3800. I briefly compared the sound of a Billy Joel 52nd Street CD on the '3800 and Sony 'C555ES and found them to be comparable. That means the '3800 is quite good. Again, this was a quick comparison. I have not tried an HDCD-encoded disc on the '3800 yet.

DVD-Audio is great on the '3800. I briefly compared the stereo track on the Steely Dan Two Against Nature disc on the '3800 and Technics 'A10, and the '3800 sounds deeper and fuller. The sounds jumps out on the '3800 when compared to the 'A10. Once again, this was a brief comparison, but I like what I hear from the '3800.

As for DVD-Video, the only disc I have played is the Madonna The Immaculate Collection disc. This disc just has music videos with 16/44.1 stereo sound. The picture was quite good. Now, I am only using the player in interlaced mode, so I cannot give a full evaluation. I did not compare the video quality to that of the 'A10 or my Sony DVP-C670D DVD changer, but I am still happy with the picture from the '3800.

I have only spent a couple of hours with the '3800, but so far, so good.

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

from your built date and your firmware, I am sure you have a unit without chroma bug, BUT it doesn't have a newer laser assembly. for the U.S version the serial # should be 210xxxxx or later not by the last 4 digit. It doesn't mean you will have problem, but not the most update one (just to be safe for all the problem).

my unit work pretty good, only may be 2 or 3 out of all the dvd I have played have some freeze problem (I have a Feb 2002 built date) but it was so randomly. I had the laser replaced by Denon last week just to be safe becasue my warranty will expire in 4 months.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tan, thanks. Well, I will watch my player to see how it behaves. Is the freezing problem only with DVD-Video discs? I would imagine it would happen with all discs (CDs and DVD-Audio discs too).

How did you find Denon's service? How long did it take them to fix your player? Where did you have to send the player?

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
Only with very few DVD video, no problem so far for DVD-A and CD.

I give a thumb up for Denon service, I sent it to New Jersey Denon Service Center, It was at Denon for 3 business day. I actually without my 3800 for 12 days total including ground shipping both way from Florida.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tan, interesting. Well, the good news, I suppose, is that I plan on only using my '3800 for movies sparingly, if at all. I don't watch too many movies (due to time constraints, and music is my thing), and when I do, I tend to prefer using my Sony DVD changer (carousel model). The whole reason I got the '3800 was for a DVD-Audio upgrade. I don't even plan on using the '3800 much for CDs, as I am set in the CD department (Sony 'C555ES and '777ES).

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
One more comment Keith, if you watch movie and not using the 3800, you owe your self an eye candy.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tan, I hear you. I know the '3800 has gotten great reviews in the video department, aside from the chroma bug, which it seems has been fixed. I will try some movies on the '3800 here and there. As I said, I did play a Madonna DVD-Video disc with music videos earlier today and came away quite impressed with the video quality. However, I am only using a 27" standard TV, so video quality is as big an issue for me as it for many here. As long as I have a basic TV, my philosophy will be to use the '3800 mainly for DVD-Audio. I don't want to put more wear and tear on the '3800 than is necessary given that I have a small TV.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Here's a question. Is it possible to play DVD-Audio discs on the '3800 without using a TV? The remote for the Technics DVD-A10 that I used before has a "Group" button that allowed me to switch between 5.1 and stereo DVD-Audio tracks on most discs. The remote for the '3800 has no Group button. When I was going through on-screen menus to set up the '3800, I set the video to "off" in Pure Direct mode. I figured this was going to be problematic, and it was. Of course, the minute I loaded a DVD-Audio disc, there was no picture. So, I couldn't access the on-screen menus. I now have the video set to "on" in Pure Direct mode. So, I'm using the TV when I play DVD-Audio discs. Must I?

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
I never turn on my RPTV to play DVD-A's through my 3800. Just pop in the DVD-A, turn on the amp, and in a few seconds the music starts. They play just like CD's - except I guess I can't play them random - the DVD-A has to be played from beginning to end.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I'm also interested in whether there is the ability to change groups without the video active, for the reason that Keith asked, since most of my DVD-As have the 5.1 mix on Group 1 and the stereo mix on Group 2.

Keith, I'm interested to find out if you experience break-in with the audio of the 3800 (specifically for analog out). I experienced it with my RP-91.

Thanks.

Doug

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil,

Yes, but what about toggling between the stereo and surround-sound DVD-Audio tracks without the on-screen menus? With the Technics DVD-A10, I just used the "Group" button the remote. Unfortunately, there is no Group button on the Denon '3800 remote.

Doug,

I'll let you know if I experience break-in with the '3800. I can't say I have ever noticed it with other components, but we shall see. One nice thing about the '3800 in comparison to the Technics 'A10 (and probably your 'RP91) is that once I turn it on, it stays on until I turn it off. That means, I can let it warm up before I use it. While I have not experienced break-in before, I have found that letting a front-end component warm up can make a major difference in the sound quality. Anyway, the Technics 'A10 shuts off after being idle for a certain period of time (a half-hour or so). I hate that. The '3800 can also be set to shut down after being idle for 30 minutes, but that's an option.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Keith,

"Yes, but what about toggling between the stereo and surround-sound DVD-Audio tracks without the on-screen menus?"

You bring up an issue I asked about some time ago in another forum:

I leave my 3800 on "mult-channel" audio all the time, but when playing audio just have FR and FL on. I guess I don't know what I've been by default listing to on my DVD-A disc - two channels of 5.1 or the left and right of stereo? I guess I need to find out! Whatever it is it sounds wonderful and I've always assumed all along it was of higher than CD sampling rates because it is a "DVD-A" audio disc.

Aren't both 5.1 and stereo off a DVD-A disc of much higher quality than CD?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil, thanks. I would guess that if your '3800 is set to multi-channel, you are listening to the front left and right channels of the surround sound track. That's just my guess. When playing a disc, press the "Audio" button on the remote a few times. One of the screens will show the number of channels playing as well as the resolution (e.g., 24/96 or 24/192).

Yes, both the stereo and surround-sound tracks on DVD-Audio discs provide higher resolution than CDs. When playing

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

Try to use the search mode button,first press to select between track, second press to select between group, (it is just the same as choosing title on DVD-V) try it with the tv on first, when you get used to it then you can use it without the tv.

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

In case you didn't get it to work, It has to be in STOP mode. After the DVD-A is load and start playing just STOP it and make sure STOP is on the display, then you can use the Search Mode button on the remote to select Group, and Track without using the TV.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tan, thanks again. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I will make sure the player is in stop mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks