What's new

I just got a new Mac Mini... (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I don't know about a HTPC per se, but as a DVR running EyeTV 3 and as an iTunes music server, possibly...

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
If you're just streaming stored media from a server it works great. Handles 1080p video without breaking a sweat.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
That's exactly what I was thinking. I currently use a "toaster" (2 bay hard drive dock) and a WD TV for viewing my stored media, but it would be nice to do something with NAS, which my WD TV will not do. My cousin has a Drobo with the WD TV Plus Network model, which works nicely. Of course, I'd also like to be able to do work on my HT display, not to mention surfing the Web.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm noodling on selling my 2007 MBP (15", 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo) and buying a Mac Mini. I could get $300 - $600 for the MBP, and a new mini will cost about $800, so maybe a $500 upgrade cost. Maybe I get lucky on the MBP sale and buy a refurb mini and bring the upgrade cost down to about $200.

Is the 2.3 GHz i5 system a noticeable boost over a 2.5 GHz C2D?

Would I notice going from a 7200 RPM drive (in my MBP) to a 5400 RPM drive (Mac mini standard)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks