What's new

I Heart Huckabees 2 disc version $39.99 srp (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just saw the ad for huckabees.
there will be a regular 1 dvd version single disc flipper with both wide and full screen version.
srp 27.98

the 2 dvd version will include an extra disc "packed with 4 hours of extras."
srp 39.98

so this seems to continue a recent trend to have these 2 dvd sets retail for alot more then they should be compared to other 2 dvd sets.

i know the actual price in store will be much less then 39.98, but still it's more then it should be, isnt it?

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator
While this does happen it is very rare and considering that people pay 39.99 msrp for criterions I say why not, I loved the film and I am going to get it.

SteveFlack

Auditioning

I disagree. I can understand why the Criterion's are more expensive, and that's because Criterion doesn't own any of the movies they release. The higher prices are because they have to pay the studios for the rights. Here, the studios don't have to pay that fee. They're just out to screw the fans, pure and simple.

-Steve!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, that's not completely true. They own the rights to the films under the Janus label.

The reason for the high price is that Criterion usually has films that have a limited appeal and they try to treat every film like it is gold.

Personally, I wonder if an expensive 2 DVD set of "I Heart Huckabees" would really appeal to large numbers. I can understand it with "Master And Commander", but not this one...

Jason

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
They could reduce production costs by getting rid of the pan and scan side of the disc, and just making it a single dual sided disc. Film on one side, extras on the other.

I would like to think that if someone is going to watch Huckabees they would rather die than watch it pan and scan, considering it contains some elegant widescreen cinematography.

KyleG

Stunt Coordinator
This is, hands down, the worst film I saw in 2004. OK, maybe Stepford Wives is worse, but...it's the worst film I actually WANTED to see in 2004. Ugh.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
For me it was far from perfect, but very enjoyable. For mine it bashed the hell out of Garden State which was I found to be all hype and not much substance.

Mark Whalberg was hilarious, particularly those leg warmer things he had around his shins :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand the problem!!!

Those who resent the higher price and don't want to fork over the extra cash for the extras can purchase the single disc and those who want the extras bad enough will pay whatever price Fox asks .....

Along with Dogville, Bad Education, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, Closer, Kill Bill - Vol.2 and Birth, I Heart Huckabee's is among my handful of the very best films of 2004. However, I'm not an extras kind of guy so I'll be getting the single disc version though I love the film enough that I'd pay $39.99 for the single disc if Fox asked.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
That kind of price usually includes a little statue of Keanu Reeves or a case shaped like Giger's alien. What's the reason for this price on this particular set?

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I resent the higher price because it looks like the lower price version is cramming two versions onto a single disc which effects picture quality. I would be satisfied with the single disc if it alloted the whole disc just to the widescreen version.

It seems totally pointless to include the pan and scan version. I havent seen this yet, but from the reviews and ads it seems like it would have limited appeal to the majority of buyers of fullscreen discs.

Terry H

Second Unit
Do all Fox two disc sets now cost $40 MSRP? I know Master and Commander did and as a result I didn't buy it. At this silly price point this one will be a rental for me... if that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the single dvd version will be a fliper.
full on one side wide on the other.

what studio was the dvd of Terminal?
plus warner bros as had at least three of these recently
matchstick men
shawshank
mystic river

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
The difference though Thomas is that prices haven't dropped, just the contents. Now the one-disc version is going for what the two-discer used to go for. The almost $30 MSRP is exactly what a normal two disc set from other studios costs, whereas the $40 MSRP is more in line with ultra-high end studio sets, like the LotR EE, Black Hawk Down and Panic Room 3 disc, one With the Wind 4 disc, and similar. Now you're paying for the bare bones version what you used to pay for a set with a lot more content from Fox, and still pay for a lot more content with other studios. If the prices had truly dropped that would be one thing, but instead all you've seen is a reduction in content.

Benson R

Supporting Actor

That still doesnt solve anything. I resent the lack of bitrate available for the WS version since the one side of a flipper disc is equivalent to one layer in a dual layer disc. If they got rid of the PS version, they would included the entire movie spread across a single sided dual layer disc. I am guessing this movie isnt particularly long, but for optimal picture quality even a 90 minute movie should be given a whole dual layer disc.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
benson, i'm confused by what you mean.
are you saying that filppers do not offer rsdl?

the widescreen side will only have the movie, no special features.
so it seems as if the entire side, both sides will be devoted entirely to the movie.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
There is a something called a dvd18, but they are still more expensive to manufacture then two dvd9s and so are still rare. Almost all flipper disc with WS on one side and PS on another are single layered on both sides.

Terry H

Second Unit

Not the same. These were giftsets that include an extra music cd at least. I personally have no interest in these "sets" that include a cd but at least you get something extra for the price increase. As Chris Farmer
notes, with Fox you get no added value, just a price increase.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I have to agree that Fox's Region 1 release strategies for new movies are very worrying. Apparently, it's either an overpriced 2 discer, or no 2 discer at all (Day after Tomorrow etc.) Of course, the latter may very well turn into a pre-planned unannounced double dip, a "ppudd" if you will. :)

That might explain why I bought considerably less region 1 Fox titles these past 12 months compared to the years before. I don't trust Fox US anymore.

Chris

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Uh, this thread is ridiculous.

The 1-disc non-Special Edition will be $19.99 and the 2-disc Special Edition will be $24.99.

Best Buy

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Yes, but all those titles are done with the expectation of moving ALOT of copies...I don't think anyone expects "Huckabees" to sell anywhere NEAR those titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.