What's new

I finally got a projector!!!! Panny 500! (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Ron I went to get the paint from Lowes when I was asking you for it, but some unexpected bills came up and $20 on paint at that time did not seem too wise.

When I went to get this last gallon I totally forgot about the Loews paint. I think I'll try that out with my new screen when I build it.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I am also planning to get the Panasonic 500, reading these great reviews makes me More and more anxious.

Marcus, what size screen do you have, about how far from the floor is it and how far is the projector from the floor?

I am planning to get a 92" electric screen, I have gone to projectorcentral and figured out how far away the projector needs to be from the screen, I would just like to get an idea how far down it will be hanging.

Thanks, your HT looks great by the way.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
My screen is 100", projector is 11' from the screen and sits right above my head about 6 and a half feet up. The bottom of the screen is 30" from the floor. My second row is 16' from the screen.

I feel that I sit just right from the screen, crazy thing is I want to make it bigger. Right now it's 7.3'wide. I wanna go 8 feet wide. I tell ya this hobby is a sickness, with no foreseeable cure!!!

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Eight feet is barely considered a big screen! LaMarcus be a man, nine feet is just as easy to make!:crazy:

Wes

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Marcus, after mounting my projector I figured it would be about 6.5 ft from the floor, that works out perfect. I have a support beam that runs across my basement and it is the perfect distance from where the screen will be. I was actually a little nervous that it would be in the way, but no more worries. If I mount my screen about 30" from the floor I should probably have just about enough room to hang the center channel speaker above the screen.

As for it being an expensive hobby, I am starting to figure that out, but at least you see where your money goes and the great feeling when family and friends see it for the first time. :D

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Glad I could help Kevin_F.

Wes, be quiet you. Your a bad influence on my wallet! Mom taught me to stay away from friends who did drugs, but she never said anything about the friend with the dvd player and big screen. He'll make ya spend the same amount of money, but on a different kind of drug.

"Come on baby, just give me one hit..... just one hit of that Dolby Digital, you know I good for it."

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph

Now if you really want to make an impression, I hear the new 3 chip DLP's @ 1920x1080 are a thing of beauty!!

It's nice to see that you are enjoying it, I know I am.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Now see why ya gotta go and say something like that Neil. I'm trying to not think about getting anything new for awhile.

Wes did the picture quality suffer at all when you changed your screen to 9' wide? How's the panny handling it?

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Marcus, I have another question for you, I have read that the InFocus 4805 projector doesn't completely turn off when you power it down, it leaves the fan running. If I wanted to turn it off completely I would have to get a cut off switch. Does the Panasonic behave the same way?

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I really never ran the Panny at 8', when I pulled the CRT I decided an upgrade in PJ had to mean increase the size also. You have seen my screen shots, I do not feel it is suffering at all. I have a co-worker that is running his Panny 500 at 11' wide and it still looks darn good!

Kevin, The Panny's shut completely off with the remote!

Wes

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
11 feet screen, GEEZ!! That's the entire width of my theater!! Wex I can't remember what you made your screen out of, did you use blackout cloth? I'm trying to figure if it will do 8 to 9 feet wide and still have the correct height.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
My screen is just the sheetrock painted flat Ultrapure White!

Wes

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I recently bought the Samsung DVD-HD841 and the picture is wonderful on my Panny L500. I'm connecting it through a DVI cable upconverting it to 720P, and for the first time ever can I say the picture looks as and (most times) better than my ISF calibrated rptv.

The biggest difference that I see from this projector when doing a comparison between component and dvi is that the black levels improve dramatically. Also the dvi connection has 0% overscan, while the component connection has about 7%

I am extremely happy with my purchase. Not mention I finally have a dvd without that gotdamn chroma bug. I would like to see the LG DVD player to make a comparison, but I don't think they are at any local stores for me to take home a demo it.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I recently bought the Samsung DVD-HD841 and the picture is wonderful on my Panny L500. I'm connecting it through a DVI cable upconverting it to 720P, and for the first time ever can I say the picture looks as and better than my ISF calibrated rptv.

The biggest difference that I see from this projector when doing a comparison between component and dvi is that the black levels improve dramatically. Also the dvi connection has 0% overscan, while the component connection has about 7%

I am extremely happy with my purchase. Not mention I finally have a dvd without that gotdamn chroma bug. I would like to see the LG DVD player to make a comparison, but I don't think they are at any local stores for me to take home a demo it.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
LaMarcus....why didn't you come down to our meet Sunday. Just cause I have a little 58" Elite don't mean you have to snub me!! ;)

And by the way, you do know a few people who are into HT as much as you are...we're down here by Cincinnati...when are you going to invite us all back up there??

I'd love to see you new theater...LOOKS GREAT...good job.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson

He is in a whole new league now, he does not have time for you rptv people!;)

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks