What's new

I finally got a projector!!!! Panny 500! (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I'm running a 12' component cable from my receiver to pj, 6' monster component from DVD player to receiver. The scrolling was definitely from the ground loop for when I disconnected time warner cable's coax it was gone. Now this bleeding of red on the other hand, I have got to find a solution to this quick, because I had a friend come over last night, I popped in Riddick and he noticed that the red was really bleeding too. When a Joe 6 pack guy notices imperfections in your picture, YOU KNOW YOU'VE GOT PROBLEMS!!

Also I have a dust blob, how exactly to you get rid of those, my girlfriend noticed that one too (I've created a monster in her ;) ), she's really starting to become HT aware (I think it's so cute).

Actually that's the old rack just hidden behind the wall, I cut the dvd rack off the side of it flushed the front of it up against the dry wall, put a frame around it..voila. Instant in-wall rack.:emoji_thumbsup:

Man if you guys knew how I did half of the stuff in my theater your eyes would pop out of your head.:eek: But in the end it looks good, it works, and you can't tell how I just jimmy rigged something togther.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
On a side note I'm really proud that I was able to accomplish a goal that I had set December of 2003. That was the month that I saw for the first time Return of the King. I promised myself that I would not watch that movie at home until I had a front projection screen. So I have suffered many months not watching that movie, and today is the day that the extended edition comes out, and I have my theater completely finished ready to premiere this movie. Today is a very good day.

P.s. I also said that for Star Wars, but I buckled and watched a lot of Return of the Jedi. But not ROTK. I've also said that I will wait and watch all 3 editions this Saturday, I hope I can make it till then.:frowning:

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
LaMarkus have you tried HD yet? You will be glued to the screen once you do!

Wes

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Yeah, HD on this projector is pretty amazing, I have a HD screen shot up on the website, I guess you missed it.;)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Sometimes dust blobs canb be removed by accessing the bulb chamber ... remove the bulb ... and take the air can and blow in there ...

Regards

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Not as scary as opening up a Z2 and trying to do the same thing ... much more complex.

Regards

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
>>It is so hard to set these damn things up. Getting the pj to fill the whole screen is a bitch!!! Not to mention right distance, height from floor, being centered, etc. It's a real pain in the ass.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Man....it took some effort but I finally got it, and with no keystone help!. First, make sure the you have the lense directly in the center of the screen (from left to right). This will take care of half the problem. Next, make sure you have the projector low enough from the ceiling so that it's near the center of the screen (top to bottom). This should take care of 90% of your problem. Now all you should have to worry about it zoom, focus, and that you have a screen that fits the ratio you're trying to display.

I have an extra problem all together because my screen is free hanging, there was no wall to mount it on.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Thanks LaMarcus. I also have a diy screen hanging like a picture. I will go through the whole thing again and include your suggestions.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
With it free hanging like that, you have to watch out for the screen having a tilt. Once I got the screen hanging straight up and down, and doing what I said in the post above, it was simple.

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
I set mine up backwards

I mounted the projector(L300U) where I wanted it first (ceiling) then turned it on & marked the wall where the projected image was and made sure it was square and same size as screen(DIY, Fixed). Next mounted my screen where my marks were. Took 30 minutes to mount both projector and screen and picture fills the screen.

If you have a pull down screen this method may not work as easily.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Rik, that's exactly what I wanted to do, but it was impossible since my screen is not fixed on the wall. I did mount the projector first, and that was my problem. I had to change the location of the projector after the screen was up.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Wes man, I was just thinking about you today because I want to build a bigger screen. I remember you went from 8 then to 9 feet. Well I want to go to 8 from 7 feet. But I can't figure out the demensions.

And how the hell does your picture look so much better than mine. What screen color are you using? And which dvd player?

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
It's all in the picture taking!

I am still using the Behr Ultrapure White screen I built for my old CRT PJ. I helped a friend build a Behr Sliverscreen DIY for his Panny 500 and it looks good but it seems to mute the colors a tad, and going back and forth from his to mine the blacks are not that much better so I have left mine white for now.

I am using a Pioneer 563 DVD-A/SACD Progressive Scan DVD player. I had an older Toshiba at first then put in the Pioneer and the Pioneer with progressive looks much better.

This PJ calculater is very helpful!
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...ulator-pro.htm

Wes

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I experimented over the weekend with some colors. First I used a Rust Oleum silver metallic on my screen. I really made the colors pop off the screen, but it brightened up the blacks about two shades. I painted half the screen silver and the other half was Behr silver screen. The silver screen blacks were much better, the metallic was brighter and had better colors. I would have kept the metallic if not for how hard it was to spray paint the screen. It was torture, I don't have the patience, it takes a lot of coats to do it right. Then I tried a Dutch boy silver something or other. But I didn't to the screen comparison so I don't know how much better or worst it looks. One day I'll find the right paint color that gives me the brights I like with the blacks I love. Guess I wait and see when I build a new screen, that Dutch boy paint was crazy expensive, it was $19 for a gallon ouch!!!

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Ron, How many hours you've racked up on your ol panny?

I am at 600hr on my PTL500 to date at about a year.

Looking forward to see the new remodeled theater photos! is it all done?

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks