What's new

I fear Universal dropped the ball on Kate And Allie (1 Viewer)

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I usually place a month's order at once and did mine a few days ago for May...I was actually going to get this until I saw the price. "Gee, that's a bit high", I thought as my online site had it for about $21. I wound up dropping it and ordering the 6th season of I Love Lucy in it's place...$6 more but I'm also getting 20 more episodes. I didn't find out until reading these messages that half the episodes on this Kate & Alllie disc (can you call one disc a set?) are edited.

Maybe if enough people complain, they can still combine seasons 1-2 in a new set and give us unedited episodes then?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Universal are testing the waters with this release, to see if it's a show that'll sell. Bad news they're cut, huge mistake, but fans who want it to continue should still buy it. I think that's its only chance; buy it.

MattHR

Screenwriter
If it's a test, then they've already failed. Six episodes (half are edited) at an SRP of $30 was a recipe for disaster. If they were trying to "test" the market for this show, a better plan would have been similar to what WB does with their "TV Favorites" line. $10-$15 for a six episode "best of" release. That way, if the release still "failed", we'd have a better sampling of episodes at a much more reasonable price.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
In regards to the price, I would grin and bear it if the episodes were uncut, but not now.

If I buy it, it sends the message that overpriced and edited discs are acceptable.

And if they try to pull this cut episode BS on any future sets of Gimme a Break (which was from the same production company), I'll take my business elsewhere.

I think we already have a disc we can safely call the worst TV show DVD of the year.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Wait, are they KIDDING me ? Only one short season, CUT and priced WAY too high ? Kiss it, Universal !

DanielHEN

Grip
I just found out that on June 6th, Visual Entertainment Inc. (VEI) of Toronto, Canada is releasing a 4-DVD set of Kate & Allie that will combine BOTH of the first two seasons -- 28 episodes total -- as well as bonus material (not sure what though) involving Susan Saint James and Jane Curtain. Amazon.ca is listing the set for CDN$ 25.87, but that doesn't include the added charge of shipping to the U.S.

I thought some of you fans who are disgruntled with the Universal release might want to look into this Canadian set.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Here's the link to Amazon.ca's listing:
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...550692-8681942

The set's SRP (CDN) is $36.95, which converts to only $32.89 (US)! That's only $3 more for the entire second season -- compared to the U.S.'s Season One-only set!

The sale price of $25.87 (CDN) converts to $23.03 (US). Amazon.ca charges $9.98 (US) for airmail shipping, so the final cost is $35.85 (US). Not bad for the two seasons combined.

Of course, it is unknown if any of the episodes will be edited, as seems to be the case with the U.S. release. The packaging does seem to be a bit better on the Canadian release.

I think I'll take a chance and order it. I was very pleased with VEI's release of Hardcastle & McCormick. Even if a few episodes end up being cut (which I won't be pleased about,) I'd rather support VEI for this release, than Universal for their pitiful handling of their version.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also ordering this. I suppose that, living in the U.S., I can't take advantage of the Super Saver Shopping option?

MattHR

Screenwriter

No. I think the $9.98 is a flat-rate Amazon.ca charges for air-mail delivery to the U.S.
Considering the set contains Seasons 1 & 2 -- for such a great price -- the $9.98 seems reasonable enough.

When (if?) Universal releases Season 2 in the U.S., it'll retail for at least $39.95. The S1/S2 Canadian set's SRP is $33, while a U.S. combination will SRP for at least $70. It makes ordering the Canadian version seem like a no-brainer.

Josue

Auditioning
If I did my conversion properly, this set would cost about $40 American and that is with the express 3 day shipping (I might choose this shipping method). This is definately not a bad price, especially with the shipping upgrade. I am definately going to pick this one up. I bought the 1st Season that was realeased yesterday but I have not opened it yet because I might be returning. It's disgusting how Universal choose to release this.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I don't think I'm going to buy this. First of all, the uncut versions of those episodes do exist, at least at the Library of Congress. Bottom line: no one at FremantleMedia bothered to check the tapes.

DanielHEN

Grip
Well, I ended up buying the Canadian release, and despite the presence of several (7 of 28?) syndicated episodes, I am really enjoying this set. There's way more value here than with the Universal set. As far as the show itself, it's fun... nothing mindblowing, but an entertaining way to pass 20-25 minutes. I hope we see Season 3! :)

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I also bought the Canadian set...I would've preferred all uncut episodes but I don't notice that much missing...I guess the fact I haven't seen it rerun for years like other shows may have helped. I've gone through half the set so far and am enjoying it.

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Canadian set also. I'm having trouble getting the episode "Candidate" (disc 2) to play. Anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks