What's new

I fear for Happy Days (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

I have to agree with you here Joe! The Odd Couple is the best show Garry Marshall did from start to finish. Unlike Happy Days which started to lose its original charm when they went to a live audience, The Odd Couple stayed as good at the end of the series as it was in the beginning. I too wish it was out on DVD.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Well, since it was mentioned that the original music is included then I will purchase Happy Days: Season 1. BTW, I am one of the people who will purchase the seasons past season 3 cause I like all the Happy Days seasons. I have seen the episodes from season 1 up to season 11 & I like all of the seasons.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
hey, everyone, here's something to think about.

Some of the most entertaining episodes come from the "fonzie show"

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Actually, when it comes to HAPPY DAYS I'm not 100% sure where I began disliking it. Weren't some of the first episodes where Fonzie moved upstairs still decent? I've forgotten...

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
In spite of it all - cheesy writing, dumb catchphrases, pandering to the studio audience, Fonzie with superpowers, the mostly lame supporting cast, the Tuscaderos, bad musical numbers, those awful vacation episodes - I still watch this (selectively) in reruns and enjoy it. In fact, one of my faves - when the Cunninghams have dinner at Chachi's house - was from the post-Richie years (and won director Jerry Paris an Emmy nomination). But the last three seasons are mostly wretched, and even the brief return of Pat Morita couldn't help. I did like Richie's homecoming and the finale, though.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Here's my theory concerning what happened to older brother Chuck. One day, like the three astronauts in the "Twilight Zone" episode "And When The Sky Was Opened" he woke up one day and found no one remembered knowing him, and soon he had the sense that he "didn't belong" in this realm and so he just....disappeared from the universe and to paraphrase Rod Serling's ending from that episode, "Chuck Cunningham used to exist but he doesn't any longer."

Hey, why not? :D

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I feel the same way as you do about this, in fact I was going to wait on this one but I might just pick it up release date now.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Leather Tuscadero Is My Muse

Suzi's episode of "Happy days":

-# 96- Fonzie: rock entrepreneur, part 1- 1977
Leather Tuscadero and the Suedes audition at Arnold's. Suzi plays "Cat size" and "All shook up"
-# 97- Fonzie: rock entrepreneur, part 2- 1977
Joanie wants to go on tour with the rock band. Suzi plays "Heartbreak hotel" and "Devilgate drive"
-# 105- Marion's misgivings - 1978
After a family friend leaves his wife for a younger woman, Marion thinks Howard might do the same thing. Suzi plays "I maybe too young"
-# 106- Richie almost dies - 1978
Richie is involved in a very serious accident with his new motorcycle. Suzi plays "Believe" (written by S.Quatro - L.Tuckey)
-# 114- Rules to date by - 1978
When Lori Beth is friendly to other guys, Richie becomes upset. Suzi plays "Johnny B goode"
-# 134- Stolen melodies - 1979
Richie and company and Leather Tuscadero audition for a musical talent show, and have their songs stolen from them by another band. Suzi plays "Moonlight love" and "Do the Fonzie"
-# 136- Marion fairy Godmother - 1979
Ralph Malph and Leather Tuscadero go to a military ball.
-# 139- Mork returns - 1979
Mork returns to Milwaukee to learn about relationships in the 1960s.A short clip of Leather kissing Ralph from #136 episode was shown in this one.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Anyone else notice how when they went to a studio audience, Howard Cunningham's entire personality changed? This is most glaring in the episode "Fonzie's Getting Married," the only "live" episode in season 2. I can understand the exaggerated acting style for the benefit of the studio audience (especially those in the 'cheap seats') but he transofrmed into this d of reserved "Father Knows Best" patriarch into a loud, manic nut! ....at least if my memory serves me correctly.

R. Kay

Second Unit
The real Leather Tuscadero, believe it or not, is a grandmother in her mid-50s now ...

Time sure does fly ...

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

The one with the music that goes: tan tan tan TAN TAN TAN TANTADAN

Not the more recent:

TA tada ta TA TA TAAAAA

Louis_P

Stunt Coordinator
I read a review for this set on dvdfile.com and seems the transfer on it is pretty bad.:thumbsdown:

Video: How Does The Disc Look?

The good news is, there is a picture. The bad news is, it's not a very good picture. Presented in its original TV-friendly aspect ratio of 4:3 full screen, Happy Days: The Complete First Season does not seem to have been cleaned up at all by Paramount. The picture is a bit dull, like watching a film where the projector's bulb isn't set high enough. Blacks are not embarrassing, but they're not particularly dense and do show some noise. Colors are serviceable. Most hues can be identified, but they're not very vibrant. Detail is average (to be generous) and occasional specks can be seen. In all, good enough for undiscriminating viewers, but pretty blah for the rest of us.

http://dvdfile.com/software/review/d...pydays_s1.html

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Interesting to read that bad review, because this review is pretty positive:

Paramount has done a great job with the video and audio quality of the episodes. There is occasionally some grainy pictures, but for the most part the video presented in full screen (1.33.1) is excellent. These prints are certainly better then you would see on TV Land or on a local channel and the show has held up well over the last 30 years.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/happyda...dvdreview.html

So...Who do we believe?

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Well, I don't believe that because on Sitcomsonline review they make the video quality sound superior!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
So it is the original logo. Cool! However, Laverne and Shirley is not.....I hope HD bodes well for The Brady Bunch and the original logo is included there...so retro!

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I would tend to believe the sitcomsonline review, if only because the dvdfile review seems to expect too much from a TV show from 1974. The point is that the film should look as good as it can look; they can't really make it look better than it actually is.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

:emoji_thumbsup: I'm much more inclined to believe a review that takes into account the age & origin of the source material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks