What's new

I Dream of Jeannie: Inconsistencies Discovered, History Gone Wild (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I didn't know that about the protesting. I just thought it was the network censors. And I also "llook out for her navel" (the phrase is a nice way to say pervert, hahaha!). It appears at times.

Funny, Mary Anne on Gilligan's Island showed hers a lot!! And a nice navel it is, a beautiful "inny". :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Interesting comments. I'd be interested in knowing what year the first nude woman appeared on a British show. I mean, Monty Python was doing that in the late 60s early 70s. :D

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

You're right. Other networks didn't have the hang-ups that NBC had re: Barbara's navel. ABC didn't hide the navels on Gidget and CBS didn't hide them on Gilligan's Island.

But NBC really had a problem with Barbara's though. Laugh-In was even going to "debut" her navel on an episode (because it was such a joke around the network and Hollywood) but at the last minute, NBC put the kibosh on it again. Even though Goldie Hawn and Judy Carne and others showed their navels each week wearing 2-piece bikinis with slogans painted all over their bodies.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe it's just me, but it seems that a LOT of IDOJ episodes take place in the middle of July. :D

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
There was an episode in Season One that always bothered me. I don't think the writers had any idea where they wanted this series to go........

Roger Healey stole the lamp with Jeannie inside it - locked inside it! Roger wanted to be her Master. He opened the bottle, and Jeannie had to serve him.

Long story short, the "rules" change, and Tony Nelson becomes her Master again, for evermore. Roger never, so far as I know, tried that stunt again.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

Some writer on the staff seemed to want to make "In the middle of July?" a catchphrase for Dr. Bellows! :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Eden gave off such a strong "vibe" she was dangerous!

And lets not forgot NBC and Star Trek. I believe it was when I was watching a Trek documentary of some sort many years ago that I learned how the networks were about those things. Although they got away with it on occasion on Trek, Mirror Mirror and Cloud Minors are 2 of my favorite examples. I glad they didn't deprive my teen self of those examples. Hee hee! Particularly that slender lovely chick from Cloud Minors. woo hoo!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Let's talk about Doctor Bellows and his gift for Clairvoyancy. In Season 2, Episode 3, where Major Nelson is being hounded by the IRS agent, Doctor Bellows mentions events that happen in future episodes such as where it snows only on Major Nelson's house and where Major Nelson's car drove down the street by itself (Jeannie was driving it but she was invisible). These episodes happen further along in the season ... maybe Jeannie's powers were starting to impart on Doctor Bellows.

Talk about slipping one past the editors. unless the episodes on DVD were listed in broadcast order instead of by production order.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

The lovely Diana Ewing as Droxine.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
And they really went for broke in terms of navel exposure there!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Mark, that is exactly what happened. The episodes are in broadcast order, but were filmed in a very different order.

But I love the idea of bellows being clairvoyant. :laugh:

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
The inconsistencies and continuity problems take up a pretty big section in the article about the show at wikipedia.org.

Also: In most episodes, Eden wears her revealing "Jeannie" costume. Censors allowed her to be depicted living in a house with an unmarried man (it was made plain that she slept in her bottle), but would not permit Eden's navel to be seen. (In one scene midway through a season four episode entitled "The Case of My Vanishing Master, Part 2", Jeannie's waistband slips below her navel.) The makers of the series were also presented with the situation of filming around Eden's real-life pregnancy during the first season, without writing it into the storyline. She wore veils to hide her stomach, and as her pregnancy progressed, they began to use body doubles and filmed Eden only above the waist, though her belly is visible in some profile shots.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I don't trust Wikipedia. It's not a valid source for information since anyone can edit that info and enter in whatever they want.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Let's just say that I had attempted to enter in some correct information on an anime show and Wikipedia thought I was defacing the site ... like I said, totally unrealiable.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Oh, now that I'm finally into the third season I have discovered a new one.

In Season 3, Episode 8, Who Are You Calling a Jeannie, Jeannie is knocked out by a metal door as Doctor Bellows comes barging through. Now, I'm not familiar with space time mechanics, but Jeannie seems to have clairvoyancy and blinks out of the room whenever someone is about to come through. Not only does her clairvoyancy seem not to be working but that she also develops amnesia.

She's not human and she's not powerless, so how can Jeannie have developed Amnesia?

Also, that earlier in this topic I mentioned how Doctor Bellows seems to develop the ability to see into the future. Not only can he remember events from the future as detailed in Season 2, Episode 3, but that he also seems to remember events that happen in the next season when, in Season 3, Episode 4 it is raining on Major Nelson, which Doctor Bellows remembers in Season 2, Episode 3.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The one where she's in the safe has a LOT of those moments.

I was thinking all they had to do was drill a hole in that safe in the first place and she could turn to mist and shoot out of there like a sneeze. And I was thinking, Would an explosion hurt her? You'd think she's be oblivious to that.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
That's another problem. She's a Genie. A man-made safe wouldn't be able to hold her. Just like the vacuum cleaner .... but the writer's aptly decided to not let that happen ...

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
I seem to remember one episode where we are inside the Bellow's living room, and it is the same set as the Stephens living room from Bewitched. I distinctly remember recognizing it. Did I dream that? Anyone else know what I am talking about?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yeah, the vacuum! Great example. They just went with whatever they could. Gilligan's Island was the same. Nothing sensible about these shows. If they had locked Gilligan up until after the rescue they would have had 4 episodes and then it would be over.

I think they sometimes used the outside of Mj Nelson's place on Gomer Pyle. May be the picket fence that looks familiar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks