What's new

I Dream of Jeannie Complete Series (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Me, too Jeff...I just updated my post from this morning. Sony got back to me and confirmed that the Season 1 episodes are colorized in this release.
Sony also confirmed that the picture sent out today is "final art". So I'm not sure why the fan site is saying that what I've posted is "outdated"; there seem to be VERY minor differences between what I posted Saturday and what I posted this morning. But, ah, whatever.
I just came back from donating blood, so if anything I posted at TSoD just now, or in this post here sounds incoherent, let me know and I'll fix it! ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'd say if I ever decide to go forward with my IDOJ collection, I could go with this since the only thing I currently own is S1 B&W, but I don't think I want that dumb bottle.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Now that it's official that the first season is the colourized episodes, I'm glad I bought the individual season on sale,including the B/W first season and for $20 less than Amazon is currently listing the complete series. Hopefully the follow up TV movies will get a release somewhere down the line. The packaging does look pretty flimsy, I'm glad they used slim cases on the regular season sets.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
My fiance thinks I'm crazy, but given there are no extras and the purisit in me refuses to get colorized bastardization, I refuse to give money for a "complete" series set like this. Thanks, I'll do the individual seasons.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Why are the sabotaging their own release??? I don't get why they continuously release such crap Complete Series sets...apart from "Seinfeld". The only release Sony has done justice to in recent days is the chronological "Three Stooges" collection. Okay, so the excuse is they didn't have time to remaster the movie for the release. Then, why release a bad set? I would have rather they waited and done a better job with this. No point in this set at all. Even Universal's upcoming "Munsters" set has something new. Does anyone else see the point of this set??? I'm sorry. But I've been silent for too long. Had to post my objections to this lunacy.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I have to agree. There's no excuse for not waiting until they can clean up both reunion movies, and heck, the Jeannie cartoon series too, and add it to the set. I'd be willing to wait. It's a shame, really, that such an iconic series is given such a rushed treatment.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I agree with this one. When Dave (TSoD) gave us the news about the 1st season B/W set not being included in this release, my decision was an easy one to pass on it. I'd guess that there's a percentage of the consumers that routinely wait for complete-series releases before buying and maybe that's the market that Sony is targeting with the IDOJ complete set. I haven't done the math on it but is there a $ savings with the complet set vs the individual sets? My guess is that there is so that may be another reason for marketing this set. Plus, the "bottle" packaging may be another reason for some collectors to buy this one.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My thought, as painful as it might be, is that Sony's choice to include the colorized versions instead of the original black-and-white version is because it is very likely that the Season 1 colorized set outsold the Season 1 b+w set.
Certainly it is true that, of the TSoD registered members who have taken the time at our site to mark that they own one of those or the other, the color set beats the b+w set by a 3-to-2 margin. :frowning:
Now, before you run off shouting that all those people buying colorized versions are philistines, consider a few thoughts.
First of all, reruns of this show aren't currently available to me...when reruns are shown anywhere, is it the b+w versions or the colorized versions? Because if it's the colorized episodes, then you may have people who are simply ignorant of the fact that these are supposed to be b+w.
Or you may have people who about the fact that those eps "should" be in b+w, but are used to seeing them in color, or just prefer it that way, so they made their choice knowingly after being "corrupted" for so many years.
Then there is the possibility that their local store of choice didn't even offer the b+w release, for whatever reason, and they wouldn't or couldn't hunt down that version, and just grabbed the colorized version in a "what the heck" moment.
Anyway, Sony should be commended for making the B&W versions available at all. For anyone who desperately wants the "Bottle" package, they can always buy it and switch out the season one discs in that set with the b+w versions from a separately-purchased S1/B+W set. That's one option, anyway.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Good point, Dave and I would agree, just I feel that a Complete Collection should be just and exactly that: complete in the format as originally presented.
My memory is not so good but how did Sony market the first season of IDOJ? Did they mention that there even WERE two formats? If so, they should have promoted the B+W as "as originally presented."
The other argument is if anyone really must have the complete series set, they can always turn the color off on their TV for the first season.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I remember when I bought the first season, it took me awhile because it wasn't easily available ay my local stores. I had to search for it. The colorized version was prominently featured as a new release at my local Target.

I agree the originally presented versions of all seasons should have made up "The Complete Series" set. But, it looks like this is what they have decided. In the end, it's their loss, I doubt sales will be what they could have been had they included the 2 tv-movies and the cartoons as special features. If Paramount owned this, you can bet it would have included at least 1 of those movies as a bonus feature. That is why "I Love Lucy" sold so well. There was incentive for buying the complete set. The only way Sony can make up for this is to release a separate set with the double feature and bonus feature of the cartoon. That would make sense in their decision to release this set the way they did. It would also reinforce customer confidence that they are not trying to get people who bought the season sets to buy the series all over again for the bonus features.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I might have sprung for this had Sony included the b&w 1st Season in this set. But I'm just not a fan of colorization and think I'll take a pass. There are too many other things I'm going to buy anyhow.
Gary "Sony still proving they are allergic to b&w" O.

LizH

Second Unit
David*P said:
I have to agree. There's no excuse for not waiting until they can clean up both reunion movies, and heck, the Jeannie cartoon series too, and add it to the set. I'd be willing to wait.
The cartoon's a little bit more complicated than that (Sony/Screen Gems owns the characters, but Hanna-Barbera/Warner Bros. produced it ... and they BOTH want it ALL. :frowning: )

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
LizH said:
. :frowning: )
That really is a shame. Because then no one does anything with it and neither makes a profit with the cartoon. They don't seem to understand that holding out forever doesn't bring any money and just allows them to be "the owner". But being "the owner" doesn't do any good if you're going to keep it on a shelf.

LizH

Second Unit
Michael Rogers said:
I've heard it stated before that Sony owns the Jeannie cartoons outright but I might've heard wrong
Honestly, I don't know what's going on with the rights. :frowning:
Who could've anticipated TV-on-DVD (or home video in general, for that matter) back in the 70's? It's not something anyone back then could've foreseen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks