1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

I Dream of Jeannie Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by jacktripper1, Jun 21, 2008.

1. LizH

LizH Second Unit

Tell me they're kidding ...
    They release 15YL but not ISDoJ ... and call it a COMPLETE series? [​IMG]
    Then there's that godawful open packaging! (Scratched disks, anyone? Is THIS any way to treat a LEGEND? [​IMG] )

2. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I'll keep my individual sets because I like the artwork and photos.
    I was hoping for a real enclosed bottle-type packaging. O.K.--not a real glass bottle. Maybe a plastic bottle-shaped case--not the 3D cardboard-type with exposed discs as pictured. Hopefully, this is just the preliminary artwork and it will change.
    I would like the movie, though.

3. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Aside from the fact that they're absolutely terrible (IMO an insult to the show), I don't consider the TV-movies part of the series, as they lacked the participation of two of the three most major players: Sidney Sheldon and Larry Hagman. HOWEVER, I can't believe Sony is putting one movie in the package and not both.
    Ideally, they should not be part of the complete set, but they should come out on the same day for those who want them. They could even put them out on 2 slim discs with a slipcase cover to match the season sets (even though both films could fit on a single dvd.)
    Ron, I agree about the bottle. And maybe this is prelim. (Although I doubt they'll change from cardboard to a more real type set-up.)

4. LizH

LizH Second Unit

If the "Wild Wild West" CS set can include both of THEIR TV-reunion movies, why can't "I Dream of Jeannie" do likewise?
    There is absolutely NO excuse for this! [​IMG]

5. WhitneyG

WhitneyG Stunt Coordinator

Whitney
    It figures. I buy the seasons loyally supporting the series and allowing it to move forward only to be screwed by them including the first follow-up movie exclusively as a bonus feature. I don't know why I bother anymore. In the future, I may ban myself from buying any season sets for series that had follow-up special/movies not available on DVD. The industry makes some quick cash by including this stuff only in the series collections, but how many regular customers are they losing in the process?

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Well, Liz, for starters they are from different companies.

And I don't know for sure that the 2nd telefilm *won't* be on there. It's just that the preliminary info sent to retailers prominently mentions one, but makes no mention of the other.

Perhaps there's a rights issue with the second one, somehow? Any IDoJ experts out there who might know?

And yes, there's a good chance the bottle art is preliminary and could change. I don't know how drastically, though...the pictures seem pretty detailed and not as "rough" as Sony's temp art usually is. That might not mean anything, though.

AFTER Sony makes their formal announcement, I can give it a day (or two at most) and see if the answers to these questions come in with the official material. If not, I will certainly make a direct inquiry about them.

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

See, it's really a catch-22 here, Whitney.
    Sony just got complaints because they announced Sanford and Son - The Complete Series with all the same material, with no bonus episodes of the later series Sanford, and no special packaging ("why should I bother upgrading?; I'll stick with what I have!").
    Now they'll get complaints because they DID add a bonus telefilm and special packaging for Jeannie ("they're screwing me over and FORCING me to upgrade!").
    Of course, Media Blasters solved this exact problem with Invader Zim this way, but then retailers complained that they don't want to carry "empty box" packaging such as that, due to lack of shelf space, and indicated that they wouldn't be doing it in the future. So, few stuff like that since then, and mainly for anime releases sold at very few stores (I'm surprised Best Buy carries as much of it as they do).
    So what would you do if you were in the studio's shoes? How do you make everyone happy? I think Gord's editorial had the best idea possible, don't you?

8. LizH

LizH Second Unit

Sony owns the show. They own the characters.
    I can't see a rights issue being involved.
    Thanks, David! [​IMG]

9. WhitneyG

WhitneyG Stunt Coordinator

Whitney
    Absolutely. I have no problem with Sony giving series set customers content that wasn't in the season sets, as long as season set customers have some way to get that content too. I'd happily shell out $20 for a disc with the two telefilms to complete my collection.

10. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

The qualm I would have is how sturdy is the packaging. It looks kind of flimsy to me.

I also have no interest in the movies. I agree it was criminal that Larry Hagman and Sidney Sheldon were not even asked to do it. It seems they should have at least been given the chance to say no. The movies have a huge problem. Barbara Eden wanted to play Jeannie as a modern day woman.

In the series, a lot of humor resulted from Jeannie's naivete. Without that, you got something that's almost a drama with a little humor here and there.

11. FrankPitt

FrankPitt Stunt Coordinator

Frank
    After buying the individual sets -- and as much as I'd like to have "15 Year Later" on DVD -- there's no way I'm double-dipping on this. I won't even ask for it as a Christmas gift. Here's hoping that Sony is planning to release both TV-movie sequels, separate from the "complete" collection.

And while they're at it, maybe they could do us a favor and replace the incorrect (and lousy) sound effects in the movies with the proper ones. If figure if I'm gonna wish, I'm gonna wish big.

12. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Before they do that, they need to go back and put back in the original music cues and sound effects that were replaced in some episodes on the Season 2 set. The replacements were dreadful.

13. mraw

mraw Auditioning

I'm not a fan of Jeannie, but the packaging looks kind of cool to me. It reminds me of the "I Love Lucy" set that was released last year. Either way, I'm sure that it'd make for a good conversation piece on your shelf regardless.

14. LizH

LizH Second Unit

I think they lend an extra dimension to the show (They show the evolution of the character.)

15. jacktripper1

jacktripper1 Stunt Coordinator

I won't be buying this set. If it had both reunion movies, MAYBE but I just bought the 5th season 3 weeks ago. But that packaging was AWESOME

16. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    Patterson Lundquist, webmaster of IDreamofJeannie.com, is also the designer of the past couple seasons artwork and the complete series. He posted today on idreamofjeanniefans.net to clear up some confusion about this release. As you must be a member of that site, I'll post what he said here:

17. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Well, that explains the disc count.
    They could still do as I suggested and put the movies out in a 2-disc set with a slip cover that will fit right in with the season sets.

18. DeWilson

DeWilson Screenwriter

Denny
    I thought the 2nd tV movie was much better (and funnier) than the first!

19. jacktripper1

jacktripper1 Stunt Coordinator

ALONG with a dvd CASE that has both movies in it for people who didn't buy the complete series set.

20. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

It looks like the updated Sony release that Dave posted at TSoD says that the complete series set won't include either TV-Movie. Also, the 1st B/W season may not be included in the set. The colorized version appears to likely be the 1st season format that's included in the complete set. The TSoD post is here
    If the set does turn out to include the colorized 1st season version, I'm glad that I bought the individual sets for this series.