What's new

I don't see why anybody is suppourting Dual-y Disc! (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The jury is out whether Dualy Disc will be a success, but I will say this much....

Sony has provided more support to this format with big name artists and the sheer number of copies available at Major retailers than they ever did with Sack-Dee. Coupled with utter disapperance of new and old Sony SA-CD in retailers, I think the picture is pretty clear where they are now betting the farm.

J

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Sony's support (or, lack there of) for SACD matters, but they obviously aren't the only game in town either...

Will be curious with their new management, if anything changes one way or the other.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Justin, So-ny has announced Jeff Wayne's WAR OF THE WORLDS for SA-CD in the U.K. to coincide with the remake of the film, La-dee-da!:thumbsdown: I heard it on vinyl years ago and it's no big deal, IMO, it generally sucks...

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

Edit:
I forgot to mention that the album will actually be available in three formats:
-CD
-CD/DVD dual disc
-and as a digital download.

Which to go for at the same price?

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Only Rachael could turn their being able to market a DD at the same price as a CD or download into a negative!:rolleyes

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Well, unless the download is lossless, I wouldn't pay the same price. I won't pay full price for audio that's been put through the grinder. I might check out this DD to see what it will play in and how screwed up the cd layer is. I figure I can make a copy of the cd layer if it won't play and use that instead.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Come on Larry, downloads ought to be che-eeeee-ap! That's what really slapped me in the face, downloads at the same price as physical media.

I've got a new song idea. Accentuate The Negative...;)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Lossy, reduced quality music
No packaging
Unable to resell or trade
DRM restrictions to control how many machines you can listen on

Yeah, I'd definitely take the downloaded version for the same price. I also like getting stabbed in the eyeball.

Gary Burdick

Stunt Coordinator
They aren't all the same price on Stand Up.

The cd version is 13.99, dualdisc is 14.99.

I'll probably pre-order through the warehouse to get the 3 extra live tracks on the bonus disc.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
So far I've been lucky. Haven't found anything that I've wanted to have that's only been available on DualDisc. So far ...

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
My prediction is that the format confusion in both music and movies will drive even wider adoption of iTunes. Maybe it helps web movies like that of iFilms as well...

It just highlights how much more consumer-centric the iTunes/iPod experience is.

If Americans barely have time to listen to music, they are not going to be comfortable having some high schooler at Busted Buy explain DualDisc, double disc, and SACD/DVDA to them...what are the odds they will get right anyway?

:)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I don't see any format confusion for regular consumers. There's one old format (CD), and one new format (DualDisc). SACD and DVD-A don't exist to them.

Audiophiles frustrated by reduced high-res in general, and the complete abandonment of pop/rock by SACD in particular, aren't going to start listening to crappy-sounding lossy music, even if they are pissed off about DualDisc or anything else.

I think iTunes will continue to grow as most consumers prefer convenience over quality, but I just can't see 'format confusion' having anything to do with it.

Likewise, the potential early adopters for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are videophiles; overcompressed downloads that are worse than DVD just aren't going to cut it for them.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
I agree Michael. DualDisc isn't creating any confusion at all except for the newbies frequenting these boards and getting all sides of a different story. Mass market consumers don't even know what DVD-A or SA-CD is so they could care less. Dualdisc is mixed in with the regular CDs and has exposure right now just about everywhere.

Also, just announced. The new Nine Inch Nails albulm WITH TEETH will be released in CD and DualDisc simultaneously. I guess some Mellencamp stuff is coming to.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I'm not 100% sure if I'm looking forward to lossless compression on Blu-ray and HD-DVD. We'll start hearing more of their tricks on soundtracks ;)

Then again, HDTV and DVD has forced Television and Motion Picture studios to improve their video techniques, perhaps this will force them to do the same with their audio techniques :D

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks