What's new

I confess...I'm sick of beer. I hate it. (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I drink but I dont get drunk.

I hear it every once in awhile too. Im asked "why arent u having a good time" because Im not slamming them down.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
To be honest, I like to drink, but I've always been a social drinker. I never really drink at home, or around my parents, or at a friends house unless it's a party.

Everybody has a right to do as they wish. I always found that a nice pint after a long work week feels great and is my signal that the end of the week is NOW.

DON'T feel pressured into doing something you don't want to.

Brent
P.s. I'm sure that beer is a depressant, but I'm a very happy(not obnoxious) drunk.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

We now have the offical Anti-Beer thread. I'll raise a glass to that...

Peace Out~:D

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Ironically, I dislike beer (and coffee like Mark) for the taste, yet can down whiskey straight out of the bottle like nothing. But for the most part, I'm a non-drinker too, spending a lot of my money on DVDs and music. I'm more of a social drinker, and have never regretted it.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Like BrentL said, resist the pressure, whether its to "enjoy" crapppy rap, have reckless sex, or generally make an ass of yourself, to go along with some crowd - not the best route.

On the other hand, to "really live", don't be too cautious.

:)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Amazing huh Ron? the misconception of us serious beer drinkers, all sloshy and buzzed every night. I mean how do we hold down these jobs of ours the way we carry on?
I too rarely get drunk, usually it's when one of those high ABV brews, with the % conveniently missing from the bottle's label creeps up on me. :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
An Anti Beer thread with Ron-P in it is like an Anti 2001 A space Odyssey thread with Jack in it :)

I drink but not that often. I've had single 6 packs of beer in my fridge sitting there for several months befor I finish one off. I don't drink enough to get drunk but one beer with a meal every once in a while is a norm for me. When I do drink its not crap beer like Budweiser :) In Oklahoma if you order Budweiser you were probably better off ordering water(its 3.2% here).

There is nothing wrong with folks that don't drink. Enjoy the money you are saving :) Meanwhile I plan on enjoying a few beers that get suggested by Ron-P, Zen and the gang.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Mark, just wanted to show you some support on your stance. Not that I'm a non-drinker, but I can definitely live without it and have run into the same issues you have.

The one thing that I'd suggest is how you view your non-drinking attitude. Don't make it sound like you're not drinking because you hate people who do drink, or because you hate beer, or because you think people act differently, etc. When someone asks why you don't drink beer and you use one of those excuses, it will make it sound like you are trying to be better than them and they may take offense to it. This will only cause more allienation than you'd like.

What I do (when I'm not in the mood for drinking and someone asks me why I'm not drinking), is say: "I'm not drinking, because I'm already having fun" and then I do something wacky to show them that I am having a good time.

I can't tell you how many times I've been FRUSTRATED at bars (when I was in my 20's) and just killing myself in thinking "What is wrong with these people? Are they REALLY THAT MISSERABLE that they NEED to be drinking in order to have a good time????". You see, a lot of people don't know how to have a good time so they NEED alcohol to loosen up. It's foreign to them when they don't see you drinking because they can't comprehend a good time without alcohol. If you show them that you're having a good time, then they won't give you as much crap about not drinking.

and before I get flamed, I don't mean that everyone who drinks is doing it because they don't know how to have fun, it's just that there are a LOT of people who do.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, I'd label that more so a serious buzz then drunkenness.

I'd also like to know how you came to that conclusion Mark.

Peace Out~:D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Drinking does not turn good people into assholes. If someone acts like jerk, he is a jerk. Many use it as an excuse to behave poorly, but it is no magical evil transformative elixir.

And people place too much importance on the drinking or non-drinking of alcohol socially, anyway. For most people, the booze is part of the social atmosphere, not the focus. On a Friday night, what are you going to drink, chocolate milk? No, you go to a bar or club, hang with your buddies, check out chicks, drink a couple beers. And what the hell is wrong with that?

Drinking is a vice, and we all practice vice, be it pot, liquor, shopping, eating, gambling, womanizing, smoking, etc. IMO, the healthiest and happiest people are those that practice a few vices a little bit. The worst are those do one or more way too much (addicts) or none at all (boring people, which is a problem, too).

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I've been known to have a drink now and then but I don't do it very often. My husband does not drink at all.

The biggest problem I had when I was in college was the attitude. I found people had little respect for my choices and I see now that this was largely due to the immaturity of many 18-20 year olds. It was the notion that you had to be either drunk or hung over to be thought of as "cool". The thing I've learned is that is just college. Most 18 year olds don't know moderation and when you choose to limit your intake or have none at all, you're a marked target.

Now that I've been out of the college scene a few years and am holding a professional job, I don't see this attitude much at all. My co-workers only drink on occasion and are responsible when they do. They respect my choices and have never belittled me for them. In fact, now that I'm out of college my lack of drinking has become such a non-issue that it never crosses my mind.

Mike Wilk

Stunt Coordinator
To the original poster. I was like you when I went away to college in the late 60's. While beer and other alcoholic drinks were around my home, I found the taste disgusting. At school (U. of Waterloo - Ontario), by drinking Labatts 50 and Molson Golden, I learned that not all beer has to taste like crap. I also learned, along the way, that I don't like what too much drink does to my body, especially the next day. So, I make no apologies. I drink what I like. I politely refuse what I don't like and to heck with anyone who cannot credit me with the right to choose.

PS - I still can't abide okra but that's another issue.

YMMV

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I also drink, but don't get drunk. On the rare occasion I HAVE gotten a tad blasted, I tend to be a friendly-happy fellow. Not a jerk.

DING! We have a winner. :D My thoughts exactly.

Now, when you have people coming up to you and saying things like "you can't be having fun if you aren't drinking", I'd be worried. For them. Because they feel they NEED to drink to have fun. And that is kinda scary, at least to me.

Kami

Screenwriter
Well I know lots of people who don't drink and I or no one I know treats them like that. If you want to avoid them maybe say something along the lines of "nah I don't really feel like drinking tonight"...don't stand up and say "I am a non-drinker, don't force alcohol on me" or something like that...just sounds like you think you're better than them, especially to a bunch of drunks.

It's a depressant if you yourself are in a depressed state of mind. If you are in the state of mind of having the time of your life, booze is just a way to enhance the feeling. All when used responsibly of course. If you get sloshed or sloppy drunk alcohol will have a totally different effect. Once your BAC reaches a certain percentage depression can set in.

I had a good time last night getting drunk (i.e. seriously buzzed to the point where i'll dance, not sloppy!) off the green beer and didn't feel "off" or depressed once. Though wearing my "kiss me i'm irish" shirt probably helped in the fun factor ;) Gotta love living in a college town where the ratio of girls is 7:1. :emoji_thumbsup:

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
...as in, nervous system depressant: In a nutshell, it slows your brain down, as opposed to something like caffeine which is a stimulant. That has little to do with depression, as in feeling down.

Alcohol IS connected with depression (long term), but that is not what is meant when they say alcohol is a depressant.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks