What's new

I can't stand theaters.... (1 Viewer)

Travis W.

Second Unit
Movies weren't made for DVD, they were made for the big screen. 'Nuff said. I'd almost go as far as to say that not seeing movies on the big screen is like watching P&S DVD...but then I'd get flamed...so I really didn't say that :D.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Movies were made to take the viewer into the world created by the filmmakers. An ideal presentation, although including a large screen, should also meet other criteria, such as providing an atmosphere conductive to the viewer immersion intended by the creators of the film.

If I can get that atmosphere at home, that's where I'll watch. What good is a 50-foot screen when the projection is mediocre, the sound doesn't work, and the audience is unruly? I'd rather watch my "puny" 12-foot screen and my "compromised" 6.1 sound, all things being equal.

And this in an unfinished room with a temporary projector and a half-baked HTPC.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Movies were made to take the viewer into the world created by the filmmakers. An ideal presentation, although including a large screen, should also meet other criteria, such as providing an atmosphere conductive to the viewer immersion intended by the creators of the film.

If I can get that atmosphere at home, that's where I'll watch. What good is a 50-foot screen when the projection is mediocre, the sound doesn't work, and the audience is unruly? I'd rather watch my "puny" 12-foot screen and my "compromised" 6.1 sound, all things being equal.

And this in an unfinished room with a temporary projector and a half-baked HTPC.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I do this...often, but a week ago I was so bent out of shape at a Harry Potter screening that I left the theater without money or passes. Multiple groups talking, an extended cell phone conversation that could be heard across the entire bleeping auditorium, and finally, a manager instructing cleanup staff during the credits that prevented me from hearing the final dialog bits. At which point I went a little nuts and announced loudly on my way down the steps, "No, really, talk away, this is after all the special Bozo screening, you are in the right room."
The movie Gods did try to make it up to me today, I saw The Day After Tomorrow, by myself, alone, no one else in the room, happy with my good popcorn.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I do this...often, but a week ago I was so bent out of shape at a Harry Potter screening that I left the theater without money or passes. Multiple groups talking, an extended cell phone conversation that could be heard across the entire bleeping auditorium, and finally, a manager instructing cleanup staff during the credits that prevented me from hearing the final dialog bits. At which point I went a little nuts and announced loudly on my way down the steps, "No, really, talk away, this is after all the special Bozo screening, you are in the right room."
The movie Gods did try to make it up to me today, I saw The Day After Tomorrow, by myself, alone, no one else in the room, happy with my good popcorn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks