What's new

I cannot seem to get this receiver - amp combo to work (1 Viewer)

jtpryan

Auditioning
Real Name
jim
I have a Yamaha RX-V571 Receiver and a Niles SI-275 amp. I have a typical HT setup (TV, 5.1) that works fine. The problem is I have 7 rooms with speakers in them that I want to listen to music in. This is the reason I bought the Niles. It is connected to a speaker switch and the AV-Out on the receiver. Now, if I connect my iPod to the front, analog, AV in I get music in all the rooms. The problem is I don't get anything from any other source. I don't really care about the cable box, but I have a PC as a music server connected via HDMI to the receiver and can only get output from the 5.1 speakers in the living room, none of the room speakers. The problem seem to be there is no way to redirect the audio output of an HDMI port to the AV-Out jacks on the back. Only the analog inputs go out that way. In fact, what I would want is to have the PC (HDMI3) audio go out BOTH the 5.1 front speakers and the room speakers. I want whole house music. Did I pick the wrong receiver and if so, what would be a good choice? -Jim

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You didn't pick the wrong receiver. Almost all receivers will only activate the Zone 2 (which I'm assuming is what you're trying to use) with analog inputs, not digital. That's why the iPod thing is working but the others aren't.

jtpryan

Auditioning
Real Name
jim
That's exactly it. There is no Zone 2 or Speaker B channel. That's why I think it's wrong. -Jim

jtpryan

Auditioning
Real Name
jim
Nobody? I cannot believe, in this day and age, that this cannot be done. Am I to understand that there is no way to have a device connected to an HDMI input pass through to an amplifier and go out to speakers throughout the house? I mean the end game here is to be able to listen to music from either analog or digital devices (RCA or HDMI) through all the speakers in the house. -Jim

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Its the nature of HDMI unfortunately. Part of the licensing agreement with product manufacturers is to prevent pass through to analog outputs (presumably to deter copying of digital content). You could try an HDMI to 5 RCA (component + audio) converter (~$40 on amazon) and see if that solves your problem. However, with most of these converters, a 1080p signal will most likely be downgraded to 720p but 2 channel audio should still be 2 channel audio after the conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks