What's new

I bought both formats, HD DVD and Blu-ray that is...... (1 Viewer)

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
Well done for including HDCD in that list, Ed!

I was starting to think that I was one of the only ones who appreciates how nice 20 bit audio sounds. I like HDCD discs a lot and have built a nice little library of them.

Tiago_J

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder what happens if you try placing a HD-DVD inside your BD player. It'll probabily start a self destruction sequence... ;)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Y'know its just a matter of time before you do it by mistake! Anyway, still anxious to hear some disc reviews!

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Ah as my mother would say NWP. (NO WILL POWER.) :) If every dollar wasn't budgeted right now I would be right there with you but alas I'll have to wait.

DanFe

Second Unit
So you're all saying that we can get 1080p with our component outs with both HD-DVD and BD? I didn't realize that, but I'm always a day late and a dollar short.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
1080i. You're not going to get 1080p through component, due to AACS, and even if you could get it it wouldn't do you much good. I can't think of any display which would accept that scanrate via analog input, and there see, to be only a few which will accept it via HDMI digital.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Hey bud! Glad to see you are taking it for the team and I appreciate it!

I would love to be able to do it, but I am short on funds. (thanks car and DDD's sale) :)

Any chance you would take some pics of the Blu-Ray or HDDVD players with the movies in action? Or know of anywhere to see them?

Thanks bud!

ry

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I also bought both formats, I have one BD and one HD-DVD but I have no players to watch them! :frowning: :D

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
I bought the Twister DVD within 2 months of release but it was 2 years before I was able to buy a DVD player. I also bought 2 wireless controllers and 2 dance pads for the XBOX, 2 months before I bought the console.

hehehe... there's a trend here, guess I'll either buy 2 HD players or have to wait 2 months or 2 years...
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Originally I planned to only purchase Blu-ray but after reading the many posts I decided to add a Toshiba HD-XA1 player to the Samsung BD-P1000 in my system. It appears (my gut feel) that like SACD and DVD Audio, that both formats will be around for a while.At this point in time, there are more HD titles to my liking and the quality of the authoring seems to favor HD. I find it difficult to understand the Sony selection unless dual layer not ready yet for BD is a factor.From my initial observations, both formats are quite capable of delivering a very nice presentation.

The Samsung player seems more refined as I have encountered a few glitches with the Toshiba as widely reported by a number of users. I have encountered no operational problems with the Samsung.

When Beta and VHS emerged in the 1970s, I also went with both formats.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Roger,
Your history is very similar to me because that's exactly what I did when I bought both video formats back in the early 1980s.

Amit Fl

Auditioning
Real Name
AMIT
I'm sorry to hear how poor blue ray is so far. I wonder how the Playstion 3 will be. also I wonder if it will play HD DVD? I know it will play blue ray, and regular DVD. Arent some ps2 games HD DVD?

sony always seems to overpromise.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

PS3 will not play HD-DVD since the laser being used is strictly for playback of Blu-Ray media.

No PS2 games are HD-DVD, all PS2 games are DVD.

I wouldn't say Sony overpromises, but seems to bring out technologies that are either too expensive to adopt (MiniDisc), is pretty useless as a media (UMD) or brings in a product which promises superiority but cheaper alternatives do the same job or even better (ex. Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo, etc.).

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

The Playstation 3 will only play Blu-ray movies; and only the more expensive one ($599) will provide HDMI output which will be required for full 1080p resolution for discs flagged with the ICT. In addition, HDMI will also be required in order to upconvert SD-DVD to 1080i (assuming that the PS3 will even support that feature).

Nikko

Agent
Real Name
Nikko Shelton
So then how much will the other blu-ray players drop in price to compete with the PS3? It would seem they would not be able to even touch it if they were over $500 since you get both BR and Games on the PS3.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

While the other Blu-ray players may drop in price, it won't be due to the PS3. Sony is heavily subsidizing the PS3 in the hope that they'll make the money back on the licensing of the games that will play in the machine.

When you consider that Sony won't even be releasing their first Blu-ray player until October 25th (with a MSRP of $999), it's hard to imagine that there would be a price break on the unit when the PS3 is introduced in mid-November.

If there is a break in price on the dedicated Blu-ray players, it probably won't be until around March 2007. And the amount of the price break will probably depend on the percentage penetration of HD-DVD into the marketplace.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
You guys are tempting me, but first a few questions.

Will both units HD-DVD and BR play existing SD DVDs? Do they up convert SD DVDs to 1080i? Do they output the same audio signals thru the same cabling (coax/optical) as used by regular DVD players?

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus

Both the Toshiba HD DVD and the Samsung Blu-ray players will play SD DVDs and will upconvert to 1080i IF you are using the HDMI connection and have an 1080i capable display. For digital audio, you can use the same cable connection as with a standard DVD. Both players also have analog outputs that can be used.

Some compatibility problems have been reported (using HDMI) with the Samsung player and you will need to be sure that you have the updated firmware for the Toshiba to avoid certain reported glitches. See other threads in this section for the discussion on this matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks