What's new

Hudson Hawk 15th Anniversary Edition Announced for 7/25 (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Announced per Davis DVD. Said to include a new anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby 5.1 audio, deleted scenes, and featurettes. No word yet on whether or not the excellent commentary track by director Michael Lehmann will be included, as it would be a real blow if it were not included. I'm also curious if the original trailer will be there as well, as it wasn't there on the previous release, but given this is Sony, I'm happy we're getting what we're getting, but if the commentary isn't there, I'll be holding on to the original release as a result.

The release date is July 25th and has an SRP of $19.99

Anyone else looking forward to this...or am I alone here?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Nicholas

I saw the film many years ago, well I guess 15 years, on VHS PAL, it starred “Bruce Willis” didn’t it? And it was about spy or was it, a cat burglar?

It’s long time, I have several films starring “Bruce Willis” Die Hard 1,2,3, “Tears of the Sun” “The Jackal” “Mercury Rising” “Death Becomes Her” “Armageddon” and "The Last Boyscout.”

I’ll keep an eye for this on region 2 DVD when we get it on this side, there is a none special edition, so the special edition is the one to look for!

“Hudson Hawk” Region 2 DVD cover
http://www.screenselect.co.uk/images...1445-large.jpg

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I'll back you up Nicholas. :)

This is one of those films that made it into my permanent memory by being repeated ad nauseum on cable when it first came out.

It's one of those movies that's stupid in a good way. I always find it entertaining. Now, given Sony's erratic track record with catalog transfers lately (some not being anamorphic), I'll wait for reviews, but if they confirm better PQ than the original disc, I'll bite.

Curiously enough, I recently saw a copy of Hudson Hawk with cover art that said it was from 2005. Just a big headshot of Bruce Willis. Not sure why they'd bother updating the cover art a year before a new edition.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Wow! A SE for Hudson Hawk. This is great news... for me to poop on!

What's next, Sony, a 2 - disc SE of Glitter?

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
This is a guilty pleasure of mine. Stupid in the extreme, but with some real classic moments.

A favorite bit: timing burglaries to music.

And remember:
"The guy on the donkey's just a guy on a donkey."

Can't wait for this one.

-Scott

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
I love this movie. The way I remember it, it came around the same time that THE LAST ACTION HERO did, and both films were unfairly ignored by the public and disparaged by the critics.

Granted, LAST ACTION HERO is a much better movie, but both share a kind of self-aware, tongue-in-cheek, sharp zany humor, and a joyful sense of adventure.

Count me in!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
One of those "so bad it's good" kinda things. I'd never actually recommend it to somebody looking for a worthwhile film.... but yeah, I can see myself picking this up. :D

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Cmon guys! Hudson Hawk is one of the best films ever!

Really, tho, I liked the film. It gets a bad rep because it was set up as a summer tentpole film, and it really wasn't that. It still lives on as a cult film, and I love it from its pure ability to be way out there in its own reality.

I'm pretty amazed that it is getting the Special Edition treatment, and probably will buy it.

Jason

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I'll step out on the wild side here and say this is going to be in my collection. The reason I never got it was because I had on S-VHS and at the time wasn't worth buying the DVD. The SE will change that so go ahead if you think I'm crazy, remember some people actually like Glitter.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I have to say that the commentary on the first disc is rather funny with the director constantly reminding the listener that it was a big hit in Europe. LOL

This one also has a bonus in that Derek Flint hisself is in it (James Coburn). Long before Austin Powers made it hip to quote it.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I will defend this movie till I die. Own the current edition with the great commentary so I'm looking forward to the deleted scenes. Hopefully the Nintendo and Little Eddie bits that were cut out of the movie will be present along with the full speech given by Darwin while the gold machine is firing up.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Count me in with the fans of this one. It's not for everybody, though (and part of its failure and bad rep was due to its being marketed as a mass-appeal film).

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing this with a group of friends on a Saturday night when it came out to the dollar show back in 1991--- I was 19 and had a lot of fun. This movie kind of reminds me of those times.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Has this been pulled? I noticed a while ago that DVD Pacific changed the availability to "unknown" and forgot all about this title until 5 minutes ago. Amazon.com don't have it either.

Martin_K

Agent
I've been trying to find this DVD as well. I went to my local Futureshop and they just had the old release. I had them check for it, they have it listed in thier computers, but for $22 which a little steep.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks