1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hudson Hawk 15th Anniversary Edition Announced for 7/25

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Nicholas Vargo, May 12, 2006.

1. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Well-Known Member

Nicholas Vargo
    Announced per Davis DVD. Said to include a new anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby 5.1 audio, deleted scenes, and featurettes. No word yet on whether or not the excellent commentary track by director Michael Lehmann will be included, as it would be a real blow if it were not included. I'm also curious if the original trailer will be there as well, as it wasn't there on the previous release, but given this is Sony, I'm happy we're getting what we're getting, but if the commentary isn't there, I'll be holding on to the original release as a result.

The release date is July 25th and has an SRP of $19.99

Anyone else looking forward to this...or am I alone here?

2. andySu

andySu Well-Known Member

Nicholas

I saw the film many years ago, well I guess 15 years, on VHS PAL, it starred “Bruce Willis” didn’t it? And it was about spy or was it, a cat burglar?

It’s long time, I have several films starring “Bruce Willis” Die Hard 1,2,3, “Tears of the Sun” “The Jackal” “Mercury Rising” “Death Becomes Her” “Armageddon” and "The Last Boyscout.”

I’ll keep an eye for this on region 2 DVD when we get it on this side, there is a none special edition, so the special edition is the one to look for!

“Hudson Hawk” Region 2 DVD cover
    http://www.screenselect.co.uk/images...1445-large.jpg

3. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Well-Known Member

I'll back you up Nicholas. [​IMG]

This is one of those films that made it into my permanent memory by being repeated ad nauseum on cable when it first came out.

It's one of those movies that's stupid in a good way. I always find it entertaining. Now, given Sony's erratic track record with catalog transfers lately (some not being anamorphic), I'll wait for reviews, but if they confirm better PQ than the original disc, I'll bite.

Curiously enough, I recently saw a copy of Hudson Hawk with cover art that said it was from 2005. Just a big headshot of Bruce Willis. Not sure why they'd bother updating the cover art a year before a new edition.

4. andySu

andySu Well-Known Member

That’s just the way some of them are!

5. Magnus T

Magnus T Well-Known Member

Wow! A SE for Hudson Hawk. This is great news... for me to poop on!

What's next, Sony, a 2 - disc SE of Glitter?

6. andySu

andySu Well-Known Member

LOL

Ok it might have been a turkey, no need to beat a dead horse![​IMG]

7. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Well-Known Member

This is a guilty pleasure of mine. Stupid in the extreme, but with some real classic moments.

A favorite bit: timing burglaries to music.

And remember:
    "The guy on the donkey's just a guy on a donkey."

Can't wait for this one.

-Scott

8. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Well-Known Member

I love this movie. The way I remember it, it came around the same time that THE LAST ACTION HERO did, and both films were unfairly ignored by the public and disparaged by the critics.

Granted, LAST ACTION HERO is a much better movie, but both share a kind of self-aware, tongue-in-cheek, sharp zany humor, and a joyful sense of adventure.

Count me in!

9. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Well-Known Member

Craig Beam
    One of those "so bad it's good" kinda things. I'd never actually recommend it to somebody looking for a worthwhile film.... but yeah, I can see myself picking this up. [​IMG]

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Well-Known Member

Cmon guys! Hudson Hawk is one of the best films ever!

Really, tho, I liked the film. It gets a bad rep because it was set up as a summer tentpole film, and it really wasn't that. It still lives on as a cult film, and I love it from its pure ability to be way out there in its own reality.

I'm pretty amazed that it is getting the Special Edition treatment, and probably will buy it.

Jason

11. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Well-Known Member

I'll step out on the wild side here and say this is going to be in my collection. The reason I never got it was because I had on S-VHS and at the time wasn't worth buying the DVD. The SE will change that so go ahead if you think I'm crazy, remember some people actually like Glitter.

12. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Well-Known Member

I wish they came out with this announcement about 2 months ago. It would have saved me from picking up the barebones version from the Walmart bins......who knew this was gonna get the SE treatment? [​IMG]

13. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Well-Known Member

I have to say that the commentary on the first disc is rather funny with the director constantly reminding the listener that it was a big hit in Europe. LOL

This one also has a bonus in that Derek Flint hisself is in it (James Coburn). Long before Austin Powers made it hip to quote it.

14. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Well-Known Member

I will defend this movie till I die. Own the current edition with the great commentary so I'm looking forward to the deleted scenes. Hopefully the Nintendo and Little Eddie bits that were cut out of the movie will be present along with the full speech given by Darwin while the gold machine is firing up.

15. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Well-Known Member

Aaron Silverman
    Count me in with the fans of this one. It's not for everybody, though (and part of its failure and bad rep was due to its being marketed as a mass-appeal film).

16. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

I remember seeing this with a group of friends on a Saturday night when it came out to the dollar show back in 1991--- I was 19 and had a lot of fun. This movie kind of reminds me of those times.

17. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Well-Known Member

Nicholas Vargo
    Artwork now posted at DVDActive. It surprisingly looks just like the R2 artwork that was in Andysu's earlier post.

18. paul_austin

paul_austin Well-Known Member

I love this movie and cant wait for it

19. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Well-Known Member

I think I'll get this movie.

20. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Well-Known Member

Christian Preischl
    Has this been pulled? I noticed a while ago that DVD Pacific changed the availability to "unknown" and forgot all about this title until 5 minutes ago. Amazon.com don't have it either.