What's new

HTPC BD Requirements (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Marty Troum
Just purchased an LG Blu-Ray disc rewriter (BE06LU10) for my PC and can't seem to get it to play Blu-Ray discs on the PC. I'm not sure if the graphics card and/or monitor can handle it. I can play DVDs and CDs without any problem, but when I put in a blu-ray disc and try to play it (using Cyberlink Power DVD) I get a message..."A critical component of the player requires periodic updates. New movies could fail to play if the critical component is not updated promptly." Nothing happend when I respond to that message. Additionally, the player can successfully read the blu-ray disc but it cannot display it on my system. Do I have equipment that is capable? I've got an nVidia GeForce 6200 video card (dual monitor) and I'm running an HP Media Center PC with Windows XP SP3, 4GB memory, Pentium D 3.00GHz, and plenty of disc space. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Please email me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
that is pretty low on the hd capable side of hardware.

honestly, imo, a low end dual core processor is the minimum spec you will need to get decent hd playback.

OR, a video card capable of hardware acceleration via dxva. at minimum a nvidia 8xxx or ati 2xxx.

but even then you may have issues. there is complex recipe of hardware and software that makes it all work.

but this MAY work for you. with that pentium d that you have i think you probably have an agp slot.

if so a sapphire ati hd3650 agp + powerdvd (7,8 or 9) with that pentium d MAY work as long as long as you hardware accleration working. which shouldn't be a problem with the above recipe.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
That message you got sounds like your computer is asking you for a firmware update if you ask me. I would check for an updated firmware on your bluray drive. If that doesn't take care of the message you might also flash your BIOS with the most up-to-date version.

cheer

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher D. Heer

Gotta be honest...that sounds like PowerDVD needs an update.

Your PC does sound a bit low-end, but I would anticipate that you'd simply have skipping/jerky playback/etc., not a nothing-at-all reaction.

Cyberlink.com has a "BD Adviser" tool you can download for free. Download it and run it; it will tell you what your PC might be missing.

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
I recently purchased the same LG product and what a pain to make it work with Vista. I upgraded my my video card after the CyberLink Advisor told me I needed too. Now I am dealing with the fact the same advisor software and Cyberlink support tells me I need new drivers for my Dell 24" monitor (none available) and I need to make my monitor HDCP compliant. If I would have known I would have all these problems I would not have bothered to go this route.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks