What's new

HTF Warner Tv/Animation Chat 9/15/08 - summary - to be updated live (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

That would make a nice 2 DVD set - or a single dual layered DVD release.
Maybe at $9.99-$14.99 range.

Maybe they are waiting till the new direct-to-video live acton Scooby Doo film to release those.

There's also a short 8-episode season of "Superfriends" (The one after "Challenge") that would make a nice 2-DVD/single dual layered DVD release.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

That never stopped them before. Remind me to show you some Waltons screenshots. I talked to people who said they had 16mm prints better than the DVDs.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

I borrowed this from Netflix. Why did they have to make it a 2 DVD set? each disc is barely an hour. the documentary on Filmation is more entertaining than most of the cartoons

WillG

Senior HTF Member

It appears like a non answer, but it seems to me that when they say that, the show is eventually released

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
First, I appreciate the fact that everyone has been so polite.
The feedback in this thread has been very positive.

One thing that I need to mention time and time again....

I realize the studio often is vague with their answers, often
giving the standard "we are looking into it" response.

The problem is that the studio cannot readily divulge information
about upcoming plans until they get to a point where they can
announce a title. All the studios keep their release plans very
close to the vest. Asking them to print what they have on their
minds is about as difficult as getting the secret recipe for Kentucky
Fried Chicken.

Legal issues need to be cleared before a studio will even want
the public to know a title is forthcoming. Often, the studios don't
want to alert other studios to individual release plans.

Quite frankly, I think we got some really good information through
last night's chat. I also know that based on past chats, the studio
used our suggestions to plan future releases. I remember one year
I asked about "Up The Academy" being released to DVD. The studio
laughed at me for suggesting it, but within 12 months it was out --
and those who know that film know how obscure it is.

Take to heart that your suggestions last night went a long way.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
I hope you are right Ron.

The main thing I want is for them to continue with Growing Pains. It would also be nice to have more Hanna-Barbera cartoons (Huckleberry Hound, Wally Gator, Atom Ant, etc).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Tying Logan's Run to a feature film that's long been in "development hell" and may still never happen really sucks! I was kind of hoping the fact that it was converted to digital back around 1990 (for the TNT reruns which, thankfully, I was able to at least record onto VHS), coupled with the fact it's been on iTunes and Amazon UnBox would've been a positive indicator for a release. Guess not.

Still no movement on Shazam! I see. The best moment for the release (last summer) is long gone. I can't see them ever fooling with it unless a feature film ever gets off the ground. I wonder if their blanket statement of wanting to release "all" of the DC product was meant to extend to the live-action stuff they hold (this and Legends of the Super-Heroes). I bet they were just referring to animation.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

They said that sales met their expectiations (this was in response to how the question was asked) but they did not mention futher releases (the question refered to sales and did not directly ask if more releases were planned)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Personally I don't think that the Logan's Run remake will ever get made(been about 4 years since I heard about it, and still we have nothing) so I don't think WB will ever "revisit" the tv series. I'm also shocked they still aren't touching Shazam.
Both of these series could be one shots, that would most likely sell decently:frowning:

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Each of the major studios have settled into their comfortable release paterns and programing and I doubt very much it will change.

WHV and SONY/COLUMBIA have settled into what works for them - regardless of the demand for their respective B&W shows - they have loads of color shows to play with that will sell.

I believe it was only the Purchase on Universal/MCA by GE/NBC that spured on the licencing and out-sourcing of tv shows to maximize profit on investment.

I think FOX's push back into TV with regards to the MTM Library and it's own Color TV Shows is that they are running out of quality (and afordable to restore) Features. Oh,there a few gems that haven't released on DVD,but they are starting to dwindal down. However, I do feel it'll be some time before they'd consiter any B&W shows.

Besides,with CBS HOME ENTERTAINMENT's dominace in the Pre-1965 tv releases - there may not be room for other studios. Spending Dollars,Shelf space or interest.

Honestly,how many B&W TV Show boxes per genre can the marketplace support each month?

Notice how CBSHE spreads out the releases not to "overwhelm" the marketplace. "Beverly Hillbillies","Petticoat Junction" and "My Three Sons", "The Untouchables","The Fugitive","Petty Mason","Gunsmoke" and "Rawhide".

Now if you factor in other shows - classics,recent and still on the air, that's alot of product - and just from ONE company.

See what I'm getting at?

It's a sad simple truth that except for a handful of really good classic B&W shows- THEY DO NOT SELL as well as CLASSIC COLOR SHOWS! And those Classic Color Shows have to fight for release slots with the more recent shows and shows still on the air!

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Some of the Scooby-Doo segments (including, I believe, the ones that were skipped on DVD so far) originally ran as part of "Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics," which was a 2-hour show ("Captain Caveman" debuted as a segment on this show, and there also are some "Dynomutt" episodes unreleased on DVD as of yet which first aired on LAL). I had surmised those episodes were being held off for an eventual LAL release...however, that show presented first-run segments alongside reruns from past seasons -- and I seriously doubt WB would have any accurate records of the show's original configuration -- let alone complete masters for the episodes in full-length.

But then, maybe this has nothing to do with anything.

stewprime

Agent
Real Name
Stew
Good news regarding Night Court. However, you'll excuse my lack of confidence when I say "When I see it, I'll believe it."

I guess four (well, now what might be five) years of waiting will do that to somebody...

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Add me as another one waiting for Growing Pains. While the non-answers can be pretty frustrating, at least WB actually does these chats. They probably have the least amount of material I'm truly interested in, but Paramount has some of the most awful customer relations ever. :rolleyes

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III

I had connection issues, too. I really wanted to be part of this chat; I wanted to know whether or not they plan to release a Complete Series DVD set on The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show (or at least Complete Series sets of The Tom & Jerry Show, The Great Grape Ape Show and The Mumbly Cartoon Show), explain my concerns on 2006's Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour set, and suggest a Scooby Doo Meets Dynomutt compilation featuring the first 2 Dynomutt installments: episode #83-4, "Everybody Hyde," and #83-5, "What Now, Lowbrow?" (both guest-starring Scooby Doo and the gang), which contain the original 1976 Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour main/end title sequences.

Anyone know when the next chat is scheduled? ???

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
You'd nearly think Warner would much rather release movies, than TV old shows. In terms of classic TV releases, their policy tends to be on the duller side, unless we're talking "The Waltons" there's not much old stuff (70s/80s) coming. I think they look at the 'star power' of a show, does it have someone big they can capitalize on, if not forget it. Take "Scarecrow & Mrs King", Kate Jackson may have been a Charlie's Angel, but I guess that means little to the current powers that be. This DVD on-demand thing (as I understand it) sounds more and more inviting, and ideal, for the way to go in the future. At least a studio/company can't complain about poor sales, stuff not moving quickly enough, with this method.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

There are 8 episodes of Scooby Doo (The Scooby Doo Show) from 1977 that originally ran as part of Scooby's All Star Laff-A-Lympics. These are the only 8 episodes of Scooby Doo Where Are You that have not been released on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks