What's new

HTF Warner TV & Animation Chat 6/06/06 - The Questions asked... (1 Viewer)

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme

Thanks man,nice & quick summary !

Questions :

1. I own that set but it still rests mostly unseen on my shelf - what's wrong with Disk 4 ?

2. no S/T - means subtitles ? Do you or anybody else know if CCs are present on the 2nd season ?

Thanks in advance :)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Opi, I think the response was something along the lines of some shorts were interlaced, some were progressive. The truth should be revealed in the official transcript.

No English subtitles - I was working shorthand to keep the info up to date in real time, especially as the chat went on and some questions got (very) repetetive.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith

I tried doing a search of HTF and couldn't find any threads on this. Can someone point me to the thread(s) discussing this or post details here? I haven't heard anything about this.

I have The Golden Collection Vol. 2 but haven't finished watching it yet.

Thank you!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Looks like the WB is set to become the King of the Abandoned Series. Sheesh..

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
WB's standards for TV sales must be pretty high. I can kind of understand why 80s sitcoms or even something like Everwood wouldn't sell enough. But why would a highly successful show like Without a Trace not sell well enough to get more seasons?

A real pity that WB has the rights for Man From UNCLE instead of Anchor Bay because it is very unlikely that we'll get all the seasons with WB handling it.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Did anyone by chance get any information about "Looney Tunes Golden Collection - Volume 4"? I've been chomping at the bit awaiting information about it. Unfortunately I was unable to be a part of the chat last night.

I'm also curious about what's going on with disc 4 on volume 2. I watched a few shorts on that exact disc just the other day and it seemed fine to me.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I really want to see the Looney Tunes controversial shorts finally re-released. I once had my hands on the VHS set that had all the wartime shorts but passed it up. Then, WB removed it from circulation due to complaints. Stupid me :frowning:

These episodes might be hard to watch for some people, but they are a part of our history. Our past should not be re-written to make it appear "better". These shorts are a glimpse of our past and are historically important. As long as there is a disclaimer on the package, they should be allowed to be seen.

Removing these titles from circulation is the same as not allowing Huckleberry Fin to be read, or for the mini-series Roots to be shown.

Censorship is never a good thing.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I asked about this, in particular about Bugs Bunny nips the Nips and Coal Black. The answer was noncommital - they didn't say no, and they did say they were aware of the great interest, but they also said it would have to get the green light by the higher ups. It wasn't the answer I wanted, but it wasn't as bad as I'd feared.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if Popeye's first cartoon appearance in a Betty Boop cartoon will be included in the Popeye set. It was not included in the complete Betty Boop
VHS set released many years ago. Since it was not on the Betty set I assume Warners has the rights. This was really like a latter day TV spin off
where the main character of a show makes a token appearance and the majority of the show is about the new situation. Think of the Andy Griffith Show where Gomer Pyle joins the marines for example.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
was there any real purpose of this chat? 99% of the items asked for got the "no plans" talk anyways. The only ones that actually got answers were no-brainers like future sets of Dallas and a possible complete series special box set of Friends (GET OVER THAT SHOW ALREADY!!! Move on to other shows you distribute). I know Mama's Family is said to be out later this year, and while I do love that show, I hope to god they release seasons 1 and 2 together because I think we all know this show will wind up in the forgotten "no plans for future seasons" pile just like every other sitcom besides Friends, Fresh Prince and Full House.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know, I feel real bad that the folks from Warner are now reading
this thread with posted comments such as "was there any real purpose of this
chat?"

What a terrible thing to say.

Was there any real purpose?! Well, I for one am very humbled that
the studio agreed to spend 3 hours of their evening after normal work
hours to attend an open chat arena where they could talk one-on-one
with HTF members. What other studio as of late has done the same?

You were allowed to ask ANY question you wanted as long as it
pertained to TV and Animation. It was set up as a totally open forum
to speak with a major studio. Despite the fact that some of the
EVERWOOD fans were completely rude, I think the chat went well.

Okay, so some of the studio responses were "No Plans." I'd say that
was an honest answer. Perhaps the wrong questions about the wrong
titles were being asked for most of the night. On the other hand, for
as many "No Plans" responses as there were, there was plenty of
good news for those who asked a question that pertained to a title
being released this year or early 2007.

I would hope in the future that we could a little more appreciative
of these studio chats. I'd hate for studio people to read a thread
like this and feel insulted.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm glad WB side-stepped the un-PC cartoon question on the LTs. If they do plan on putting stuff like Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs on DVD, it needs to be kept hush-hush. They don't need to catch flack for honoring fan's wishes at the expense of pandering to the PC crowd. On the other hand, Disney got away with releasing all their un-PC stuff by just putting Leonard Maltin intros before the films. WB even included clips from Tin Pan Alley Cats and All This and Rabbit Stew on Vol. 3, so...

As for replacement discs for LT:GC 2 and the T&J sets... they really need to get the instructions out ASAP since a lot of fans are skeptical about this.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

Don't forget about color footage from Scrap Happy Daffy. I always assumed that was a B&W Looney Tune. The color footage highlights of Coal Black on the discontinued Turner VHS & LD, "Cartoons For Big Kids", is drop dead gorgeous compared to those underground bootlegs.

I would drop whatever money they want, after spending $600 on all the Golden Age and Tex Avery laserdisc box sets when they were new.

JeffSchiller

Agent

Agreed 100% Ron! Thanks to WB and thanks to HTF for holding these chats. I am VERY appreciate of Warners here. Here's my appreciation.

It's ironic that people on here who obsess about certain things (like classic movies) can then turn around and scratch their heads and not appreciate that certain studio chats are interesting to other people for different reasons.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Although I did not participate in the chat, I would like to add something to this comment from a personal experience a long time ago at a similar HTF chat. I and a few others had asked about a certain title that got a "no plans" answer during the chat, but the following day I got news that because of the chat, the studio in question was looking at the feasability of a release - a release that not only was realized, but in a far better version than any of us expected.

These chats aren't just about finding out what the studio already has plans for, but also about bringing titles to their attention. Just because there are "no plans" today does't mean there never will be plans. There are a lot of issues involved in a release - condition of elements, rights clearances, possible tie-ins, and viability. Asking the questions is a start (that doesn't mean hijacking a chat either), as it at least gets things on the radar. I'm sure that every title that was asked about was noted, and some discussion will follow.

Finally, even though I wasn't there, I'd like to thank WB for coming out and participating (and HTF for hosting the chat, of course!), we should be very thankful that the studio took the time to hear our requests and questions.

JeffSchiller

Agent
I had a question: Can future chats include a link to a designated thread where results will be discussed real-time? This can be a welcome message in the IRC window for all new joiners.

I joined the chat 15-minute late so I was not sure what had been discussed prior to my getting on the channel and I didn't know where to start looking to find that information (I find the HTF forum layout confusing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks